IGNORED

Sega Pad Adapter not working right.

Prodos8

Does anyone know, offhand, if the Sega Pad adapter from the FAQ works with 6-button controllers? When I try using one all I get is constant auto-fire on both buttons. When the pad is not plugged in it doesn't do anything and I don't have any 3-button controllers to test it with. Does the design only work with 3-button/SMS pads?

I'm fairly certain I built it correctly because when I manually ground each of the transistors with a jumper wire I can get it to activate the left and right fire buttons. The directionals work, but they're just wired straight through.

Thanks.

post-7533-1222480309_thumb.jpg post-7533-1222480316_thumb.jpg

Are you using a SEGA brand controller or a third party one. I know a lot of third party ones don't work, I don't remember if the official SEGA brand ones do or not.

Mitch

They're not the official sega 6-button pads. I know I have same SMS pads around somewhere and once I find them I'll try it with those.

I've apparently butchered every last one of my sega 3-button pads making NES-7800 pads and RSI-7800 joysticks. :(

When I was making my all-in-one controller for my senior design project, I had problems finding information about the six button controller. From what I understand, the scheme it uses is kinda funky, so I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't work with your adapter. The three button controllers are much more straightforward, though.

some Sega pad info here

basically they use a multiplexer to send so many signals down 9 wires.

I'm no expert, but maybe that is the problem

The page you listed doesn't actually use the 6-button controller's IC, though. The pad was just basically turned into a bunch of buttons that were attached to different points in the Xbox controller. The Genesis pads DO use a little multiplexing, but the 6 button controller does it in some weird way that I have yet to discover. The 3 button configuration is pretty simple multiplexing, though.

The way the adapter is wired the select line is always held high so it should always be reading UP DN LT RT B C. The other buttons should be ignored. I still haven't tried it with a 3-button controller, but strongly suspect that 6-button controllers just won't work with it. Also, I've tried holding down the 'mode' button on the 6-button while power on the console and it still doesn't work.

I should be getting my hands on some 3-button controller or possible some SMS pads to do further testing with it.

• 2 weeks later...