IGNORED

Breakaway IV Picture Label

Red 5

Just got this one.

Took me a long time to find this picture label.

Is it a harder one to find, or was it just avoiding me?

Is there a list somewhere of rarest to most common Sears picture labels?

(Not AtariAge's rarity list... no offense Al, I still love you.)

Also, I have Breakaway (just text, no picture), Breakaway II picture and text, but I have never found Breakaway III, does it even exist?

Why do you say it's not on the list?

http://www.atariage.com/software_page.html...twareLabelID=50

Listed as a 3.

Just got this one.

Took me a long time to find this picture label.

Is it a harder one to find, or was it just avoiding me?

Is there a list somewhere of rarest to most common Sears picture labels?

(Not AtariAge's rarity list... no offense Al, I still love you.)

Also, I have Breakaway (just text, no picture), Breakaway II picture and text, but I have never found Breakaway III, does it even exist?

If there are any missing Sears picture labels from the AtariAge database, please let me know and I'll add them. Also would need a suggested rarity for them, and of course scans of the cartridges. I promise to add any submissions promptly. :)

..Al

I was just kidding about Breakaway I, II and III.

I was just referring to the actual rarity guide being off a bit in some places.

(i.e. Breakaway IV picture label = rarity 3)

If there are any missing Sears picture labels from the AtariAge database, please let me know and I'll add them. Also would need a suggested rarity for them, and of course scans of the cartridges. I promise to add any submissions promptly. :)

..Al

I was just kidding about Breakaway I, II and III.

I was just referring to the actual rarity guide being off a bit in some places.

(i.e. Breakaway IV picture label = rarity 3)

Funny about Breakaway I and II, that had me scratching my head.. I know the rarity guide is missing a few things, and for NTSC titles I'd like it to be as complete as possible. I recently added a whole slew of missing homebrew games, and have a few more of those to add. Several known prototypes are missing and those are next on my list. But I had forgotten about some of the Sears picture titles that were missing, like Superman. Would love to get those plugged up.

..Al

Yeah, there's no Breakaway I, II, or II carts out there. But there is a Sears Pinball/Breakaway dedicated console (same as Atari's Video Pinball.)

The picture label Breakaway IV is a cool find! If Sears picture carts were desigamted as either rare/semi-rare/super-rare, it would fall into the semi-rare category.

Yeah, there's no Breakaway I, II, or II carts out there. But there is a Sears Pinball/Breakaway dedicated console (same as Atari's Video Pinball.)

The picture label Breakaway IV is a cool find! If Sears picture carts were desigamted as either rare/semi-rare/super-rare, it would fall into the semi-rare category.

So let's talk rarest (after Superman).

I am guessing 'Cannon Man' is the toughest (although it is text).

I just got Poker Plus Picture Label (which was a long battle) and Breakaway IV Picture Label.

Baseball Picture was a pain in the ass to get as well.

I think Submarine Commander is a bit over rated as they come up all the time.

I am still missing these pic labels:

Gunslinger (But that comes up quite often. I have just been too cheap to bid high enough.)

Night Driver (Is this really that rare, or is it just to hard to find on Ebay because the Atari Label and Sears Label are so close?)

Basketball (Once again, is this really rare or just hard to find in lots because the Atari version is so common? I took me forever to find a Silver NTSC Asteroids for this reason.)

Canyon Bomber (see above)

Pong Sports (Has been tough to find.)

So for Sears Picture Label Rarity:

Most I agree with. The one's below I would question:

Basketball = 3 (too low)

Breakaway IV = 3 (too low)

Missile Command = 5 (maybe I got lucky, but this seems high)

Poker Plus = 3 (way too low)

Submarine Commander = 5 (too high)

Thoughts?

Edited by therealred5

Gunslinger (But that comes up quite often. I have just been too cheap to bid high enough.)

Really? IMO, that's one of the toughest to find.

I find them about once a month on Ebay.

Usually in lots.

Then I lose and cry and wish I bid more.

Then cry some more.

:D

I think it is more 'cool' than rare.

It's an awesome label and people hold on to it.

I tried to jump start this conversation a few years back with this thread, but it went nowhere, which was just as well because there didn't seem to be much consensus.

The fact that these variants are rarely listed in single cart auctions and are more likely to be found within large lots where they are rarely identified as being Sears labels, makes these variants seem more rare than they really are.

I actually don't think there is any reason to update their rarities. Not because the current rarities are necessarily accurate, but because I think that, in its current form, the rarity guide has outlived its usefulness (for "collectors", at least ;) ) and I think there is a risk of making things even more inaccurate if we start messing with the established rarities on these.

I'm more inclined to Marco's view of rarity these days.

Edited by Christophero Sly

Baseball picture is a bitch to find, finally got one at the last MWGC.

I'm still missing Superman, gunslinger, and Canyon Bomber.

Tempest

wow! I was practically swimming in sears pic Baseball carts around here for several months. Night Driver has come up a couple of times, so has Basketball. On the other hand, I've never seen a Pong Sports or a Canyon Bomber in the wild. Funny thing is that almost every Sears pic label I've purchased cost me $1. Aside from maybe Superman, they just aren't that valuable. They sit and sit in the bargain bins for months until some collector who's got a buck in his pocket grabs one. right now there's a Maze in great condition that's just sitting there with a $1 price tag on it. I though of buying it since mine's a little ratty. Sure it's not real rare to begin with, but it's just odd that something which might have a few people seeking it is just sitting on the shelf.

When I traded those Baseball carts off recently, I just asked for what I thought they were worth to me, ya know? I dunno, maybe they were worth $30 or something. :? *shrug* Not that I'd have sold 'em for that, though, not when I spent $1.

I know we discussed this in the Rarity section of the forum. Last year we discussed the Sears Pic labels. I'd have to look it up again. (never mind... it is linked in the above message)

I have a few that are still trying to hide from me. I don't think I will ever get a superman one. How many are there know to exist thus far?

Baseball picture is a bitch to find, finally got one at the last MWGC.

I'm still missing Superman, gunslinger, and Canyon Bomber.

Tempest

wow! I was practically swimming in sears pic Baseball carts around here for several months. Night Driver has come up a couple of times, so has Basketball. On the other hand, I've never seen a Pong Sports or a Canyon Bomber in the wild. Funny thing is that almost every Sears pic label I've purchased cost me $1. Aside from maybe Superman, they just aren't that valuable. They sit and sit in the bargain bins for months until some collector who's got a buck in his pocket grabs one. right now there's a Maze in great condition that's just sitting there with a $1 price tag on it. I though of buying it since mine's a little ratty. Sure it's not real rare to begin with, but it's just odd that something which might have a few people seeking it is just sitting on the shelf.

When I traded those Baseball carts off recently, I just asked for what I thought they were worth to me, ya know? I dunno, maybe they were worth $30 or something. :? *shrug* Not that I'd have sold 'em for that, though, not when I spent $1.

Must be a regional thing because I've had at least 4 Pong Sports picture labels pass through my hands in the last two years.

Tempest

For me, Gunslinger and Canyon Bomber are the two I've seen the least of. Superman...all I've seen is the picture that was posted here awhile ago, and is the only one I don't have.

I'm still curious if a picture label Target Fun will be discovered. One is pictured in the owner's manual of the Sears 4 switch console, but to date, no one has claimed owning one.

I'm still curious if a picture label Target Fun will be discovered. One is pictured in the owner's manual of the Sears 4 switch console, but to date, no one has claimed owning one.

Maybe it's like Tank Plus? Didn't someone find some uncut stickers but no cart for that one?

Tempest

• 3 years later...

Well, I acquired a Sears Superman picture label cartridge today and as such I finally became an official member of Club 33. So as such I decided to share a picture with the community of my SEARS picture label cart collection, as well as debate & discuss the as of yet undiscovered & rumored SEARS carts that have not been found.

post-17556-0-12679600-1336254715_thumb.jpg

So here are the carts that I am still in pursuit of, along with whatever information we have on them.

-- Tank Plus -- (we found the roll of unused stickers, so this makes it pretty official if you ask me)

-- Target Fun -- (as mentioned above in this thread, a picture of one appears in a SEARS console manual)

-- Backgammon -- (was found on an early revision of the labels variation list)

-- Arcade Golf -- (among other places, has been listed in collector guides as existing, but I have never seen one)

-- Steeplechase -- (the other 2 Sears Exclusives had picture label versions, why not this one?)

any other strong cases to be made for any others?

maybe perhaps all of them were eventually intended to be re-released with picture labels but as 1982 ended,

Sears scaled back their interests and production numbers?

• Like 1

Holy crap, that is nice! :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o

I am currently in a Sears obsession mode and in my personal collecting world would much rather have Sears Pic Superman than a Magicard or Video Life any day of the week. I'm sitting at the 29 club right now, missing only Superman (of course). Canyon Bomber, Gunslinger, & Basketball. My goal is to get as close to a complete Sears collection (CIB) as possible by the end of the year. I doubt very highly I'll acquire the Superman since this is the first I've ever even seen. Until your pic, I was seriously questioning its existence.

Color me impressed. Very nice! :thumbsup:

Well, I acquired a Sears Superman picture label cartridge today and as such I finally became an official member of Club 33. So as such I decided to share a picture with the community of my SEARS picture label cart collection, as well as debate & discuss the as of yet undiscovered & rumored SEARS carts that have not been found.

post-17556-0-12679600-1336254715_thumb.jpg

So here are the carts that I am still in pursuit of, along with whatever information we have on them.

-- Tank Plus -- (we found the roll of unused stickers, so this makes it pretty official if you ask me)

-- Target Fun -- (as mentioned above in this thread, a picture of one appears in a SEARS console manual)

-- Backgammon -- (was found on an early revision of the labels variation list)

-- Arcade Golf -- (among other places, has been listed in collector guides as existing, but I have never seen one)

-- Steeplechase -- (the other 2 Sears Exclusives had picture label versions, why not this one?)

any other strong cases to be made for any others?

maybe perhaps all of them were eventually intended to be re-released with picture labels but as 1982 ended,

Sears scaled back their interests and production numbers?

Very Impressed. I'm so low in this club it doesn't even deserve a number with it yet. :(

I keep forgeting about Sears Pic titles. Makes me want to comb over those common cart names more closely.

A quick follow up on the above for those out there that may be curious like me!

This post really made me curious and so I began to do some research. I was completely unable to locate a picture or scan of the 4 switch Sears Telegames Video Arcade manual anywhere on the internet. And I really wanted to see & visually confirm this statement. So I simply bought one on ebay and I got it in the mail today and surely enough, I can confirm this 100%. It looks so cool. I went ahead and took a picture to post it up here for everybody else to see and enjoy as well. It looks totally authentic and really makes you wonder if there are samples out there in the wild, just like

Tank Plus, and who knows which others just waiting to be found.

post-17556-0-27246900-1336869846_thumb.jpg

And here is the Tank Plus as well just to enhance this thread.

post-17556-0-07538800-1336869854_thumb.jpg

I truly believe that these (and perhaps others) have simply eluded us.

Happy Hunting!

Supergun, congrats on the picture label Superman!

I had every picture label except for that one when i had my collection. At one point I had every game boxed, (including the number variants boxed,) and I also had several of the accessories and "pong" units CIB.

Here's a link showing my collection before i sold it....enjoy:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/139803-selling-my-atari-collection/page__p__1690467__hl__selling%20my%20collection__fromsearch__1?do=findComment&comment=1690467

WOW, the fabled Sears Superman pic cart. I have been looking for this on the 'bay for close to a year now. I haven't been keeping up the search for the past 3 weeks though. What's the story on this cart? Where did you find it? How much? Please don't let it be off the 'bay! Congrats.