IGNORED

5 things u wished the 5200 had

phuzaxeman

HMM......... :ponder:

1) All in one compatability. 5200, 7800, and 2600. One system, ALL carts.

Wait, how would the 7800 compatibility work if it didn't exist. (and probably wouldn't exist in the sense that it did had the 5200 not been problematic)

4) A usuable port for more RAM/Memory for upgrades. To save your game.
Doesn't the 5200 already have an expansion port capable of soem of that?

2. no side mount fire buttons.

3. optional digital controllers for pac-man and alike

What's wrong with side mounted buttons? Using ones like the paddles, 2800, or 7800 should have been fine.

And why make the digital controller optional, why not have that standard (given that tons of games ported from the 8-bit computers and arcade used 8-way joysticks), with analog joysticks (as well as paddles, trackballs, etc) would be accessories. ("digital" in this sense would, of course, include approximated digital controllers usign the pot lines and resistors to provide 8 directions -like some early PC gamepads and "digital" joysticks) Even with an pots and no spring centering, at least they should have used a stiffer, tougher boot than the initial models did. (which seemed to even have issues with tearing rather quickly)

The form factor of the 5200 controllers is fine for the time, the keypad is a bit unnecessary (and for the few cases it is useful, a separate keypad could have been used).

better Video Out. They had S-Video in 82 didn't they? I'm on a 50" DLP HD TV and wish I could get a better signal without paying to get mods done (I'm not an electronics-tech type of dude). Is there a better option without having to mod or solder ??

Nope, no S-video as such in '82, though soem electronics (specifically home computers) did support Y/C (luma/chroma) video, it was usually connected via 2 separate RCA cables (like the C64) or a propritary connector. I don't even thing composite video was yet avialable on normal TVs at the time. S-video, as such, using the 4-pin miniDIN connector was introduced with SVHS in 1987, so quite a bit later. (though I think high-end TVs started getting composite video inputs and audio line in sveral years prior -probably coinsiding with VCRs introducing composite video and audio line out jacks) Though if VCRs were already sporting composite video and audio line out by the late 70s (or any time up to 1982 really), it would have made sense to include AV out (albeit not Y/C) as TVs would corespondingly start supporting inputs, at least on high-end models. (in the US market, video inputs seem to be tied largely to home video systems, with VCRS and composite video, SVHS and S-video, DVD with component video -opposed to Europe and Japan with RGB being supported -in France's case since 1977 with SCART)

I haven't seen much information on when domestic VCRs started including AV line out though, so I can't be sure.

It seems to me, the most reasonable changes to make would be:

1. fix the controllers: at least use 1 sturdy hard plastic button per side (like 7800/paddles/2800), use stiff rubber boots ont eh joystick if not springs for centering or a digital/8-way stick standard. (analog as an accessory) The pause/reset/start buttons were nice to have, though reset wasn't entirely necessary, and the keypads weren't really necessary to have on the controllers either, but they should have been more durrable regardless as well. (other than separate keypads like the VCS, supporting a keypad to lock-on to the main controller might have been soemthign to consider) Stock VCS/400/800 DE-9 ports would be nice.

2. 2600 compatibility, but only if they could manage it in a cost effective manner and without cutting too much from the 5200. (they could have used RIOT in place of PIA, but TIA would be a cost to eat -perhaps making some use of tia for added sound and perhaps the trigger lines) It might have meant cutting the 5200's RAM and/or number of controller ports too. Having only 2 ports is OK too, and 4 player paddle games would still work. (granted, that's mainly due to a lack of 4-player simultaneous joystick games available than lack of usefullness)

3. More support in proportion to the 5200, that was one of the pitfalls Atari made (among many) around that time: continueing to saturate the old system when a shift really needed to be made elsewhere. Tying in with that, more emphesis on bringing over the best 400/800 titles. (at least all which work in 16K)

4. OR, scrap the above, and have the 5200 basicly a fully functional atari 8-bit computer in a console box, like the XEGS, but in 1982. (basicly replacing the 400)

The only problems with this are A: it doesn't solve the problem the VCS has with lack of lockout and control over 3rd party software release (superfluous as the 5200 lacks that anyway) and B: the video game and computer divisions of Atari Inc apparently experienced a lot of fewding which would have hindered such a proposal. (crossign the boundary between the home game systems and computers -even though the 400 had been intended as "a game console with a keyboard" to a similar extent to the O^2 -the inital price probably inhibited that though)

5. Regardless of the above, have it look like this ;)

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=143826

post-23-125710173597_thumb.jpg

(see: http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/121484-why-did-atari-ditch-the-5200/page__st__250__p__1871880#entry1871880 )

Edited by kool kitty89

HMM......... :ponder:

1) All in one compatability. 5200, 7800, and 2600. One system, ALL carts.

Wait, how would the 7800 compatibility work if it didn't exist. (and probably wouldn't exist in the sense that it did had the 5200 not been problematic)

4) A usuable port for more RAM/Memory for upgrades. To save your game.
Doesn't the 5200 already have an expansion port capable of soem of that?

2. no side mount fire buttons.

3. optional digital controllers for pac-man and alike

What's wrong with side mounted buttons? Using ones like the paddles, 2800, or 7800 should have been fine.

The side button the A2600/A800 paddles is BIG and made with spring and mechanical parts superior to the A5200 tiny inferior buttons. And I have yet to see A2600/A800 paddle buttons go bad unlike A5200 where even after you rub them and fix them, they are back to the same state after a few weeks. In a rush so perhaps I'll add some more later.

The side button the A2600/A800 paddles is BIG and made with spring and mechanical parts superior to the A5200 tiny inferior buttons. And I have yet to see A2600/A800 paddle buttons go bad unlike A5200 where even after you rub them and fix them, they are back to the same state after a few weeks. In a rush so perhaps I'll add some more later.

Exactly! The side mounted configuration isn't the problem, just the poor implementation on the 5200 controllers. The believe the keys have similar wear problems too.

A lot of companies seemed to have problems placing side buttons in comfortable positions, even if they were reliable. Atari got it right with the paddles, 2800, and 7800, but Mattel and Coleco messed up as did atari, of course, on the 5200.

Edited by kool kitty89

Exactly! The side mounted configuration isn't the problem, just the poor implementation on the 5200 controllers. The believe the keys have similar wear problems too.

A lot of companies seemed to have problems placing side buttons in comfortable positions, even if they were reliable. Atari got it right with the paddles, 2800, and 7800, but Mattel and Coleco messed up as did atari, of course, on the 5200.

Because paddles you hold in your hand. But joysticks (especially big ones), you usually put on the table or on the floor so the button on top is better. The A5200 trackball however uses solid PCBs and spring-type buttons and a Pool ball so that's pretty solid (as a rock). I think more games should employ the A5200 trackball since then people won't complain about the controllers. The normal A5200 controllers have plastic flimsy circuit that's a piece of crap in terms of durability and button positioning sucks. And having a big keypad isn't that useful for most games.

Most common game joysticks from the time are used held in ones hands, pressed to the floor/table (usually younger kids with smaller hands). or some people use them like thumbsticks. (I usually do that with the VCS sticks, though it was a bit tougher to manage without getting sore when I was a kid -not entirely comfortable now even)

I do sometimes end up cupping the joystick in my had rather like the 7800 controller is meant to be held. (mainly due to the stock beeing too long to use with the thumb for long periods)

The 7800 layout is OK, but the problem with that one is the controller is too bulky and the joystick is too stiff. A gamepad with d-pad or thumbstick would be preferable for most things though. (the vectrex controller can be used as such) If the 7800 had the same stick as the 2600, I think that might have worked better. (it's more comfortable to hold a soft rubber stock between the thumb and the side of the forefinger than to hold a ard plastic grip in your fist)

I'll say that the simple VCS joysticks are reasonably comfortable to use, though they neither approximate an arcade joystick (which really requires a large, heavy base to work) nor do they make ideal handheld controllers. However, they work well enough, are reasonably comfortable, and are reliable. I'd say that a VCS joystick with an added button or 2 (and possibly function/option buttons in addition to that -ie start/pause/etc) next to the main button would have been OK.

The 5200 layout is convenient for using dual joysticks though, especially with thumbs (same for CV), ideal for something like robotron. (7800 would be one of the worst for that -modern gamepads with the SNES type button lay out also work well)

The side button long controller layout can work, but the CV, 5200, 7800, and Intellivision all kind of messed up with it (not sure about the 2800, but I've never liked the idea of having a paddle on the same stock as the joystick -maybe if you can lock the paddle and keep it from spinning)

The Gemini seems like it might have gotten it right, as does the SG-1000:

coleco-gemini-console.jpgsega_sg1000.jpg

Edited by kool kitty89

Most common game joysticks from the time are used held in ones hands, pressed to the floor/table (usually younger kids with smaller hands). or some people use them like thumbsticks. (I usually do that with the VCS sticks, though it was a bit tougher to manage without getting sore when I was a kid -not entirely comfortable now even)

I do sometimes end up cupping the joystick in my had rather like the 7800 controller is meant to be held. (mainly due to the stock beeing too long to use with the thumb for long periods)

The 7800 layout is OK, but the problem with that one is the controller is too bulky and the joystick is too stiff. A gamepad with d-pad or thumbstick would be preferable for most things though. (the vectrex controller can be used as such) If the 7800 had the same stick as the 2600, I think that might have worked better. (it's more comfortable to hold a soft rubber stock between the thumb and the side of the forefinger than to hold a ard plastic grip in your fist)

I'll say that the simple VCS joysticks are reasonably comfortable to use, though they neither approximate an arcade joystick (which really requires a large, heavy base to work) nor do they make ideal handheld controllers. However, they work well enough, are reasonably comfortable, and are reliable. I'd say that a VCS joystick with an added button or 2 (and possibly function/option buttons in addition to that -ie start/pause/etc) next to the main button would have been OK.

The 5200 layout is convenient for using dual joysticks though, especially with thumbs (same for CV), ideal for something like robotron. (7800 would be one of the worst for that -modern gamepads with the SNES type button lay out also work well)

The side button long controller layout can work, but the CV, 5200, 7800, and Intellivision all kind of messed up with it (not sure about the 2800, but I've never liked the idea of having a paddle on the same stock as the joystick -maybe if you can lock the paddle and keep it from spinning)

The Gemini looked like a cheap POS. I only remember ever seeing it inside the Sears Catalog. I do not recall it ever being stocked at Toys R Us, Sears itself, or KB Toys....

I wouldn't call its controllers good either. Not for a child's hands.

The Gemini looked like a cheap POS. I only remember ever seeing it inside the Sears Catalog. I do not recall it ever being stocked at Toys R Us, Sears itself, or KB Toys....

I agree. A800 digital joysticks are #1-- easy to use and rigid. The flimsy joysticks whether digital like in Odyssey2 machines or analog aren't worth a dime. You can easily get the A800 type digital joysticks with suction so they can be put on the table or hold them down with something when put on the floor (if you can't use two hands). And the simplicity of buttons and directions make them idea for precise movements. I have played so many games on various systems and I always get higher/better scores with digital joysticks. And even amongst digital joysticks, there are differences. Some are too loose and have greater bounce and are imprecise, but the A800 ones are just right.

One of the VCS joysticks I have has the plastic retainer ring for the rubber boot broken off so it's not nearly as stiff as normal, but actually seems more comfortable to use for a lot of stuff. I'm not sure it's the boot that makes the difference though, it seems more like it's been more broken in or has loser springs (are there any springs?), or maybe it's a CX-40 while the stiffer ones are CX-10s. (I know those are CX-10s as they are from my grandparents' 1977 model, I'm not sure about the other one though, I think it's a late 70s model -still from Sunnyvale though)

The stiff ones do seem to be at least as responsive though, the stiffness just makes them a bit uncomfortable to use at times. We've got an old PC joystick around somewhere that feels similar in that stiffness. (it must be a pseudo-digital set-up with resistors pulling through to the pot lines -it probably has pots for centering though, with 2 sliders for calibration -so not rotary)

For a proper tabletop set-up and without modifying the controller (gluing it to a base or adding suction cups), you could rig up a little box and base for it to fit into and provide a stable base it can simply fit into. I wonder if an accessory like that was ever released, especially one for 2 joysticks. (especially useful for the few games requiring dual joystick control -including Robotron 2084 on the 7800 -and I assume the 8-bit version supported 2 joysticks as well)

Edited by kool kitty89

One of the VCS joysticks I have has the plastic retainer ring for the rubber boot broken off so it's not nearly as stiff as normal, but actually seems more comfortable to use for a lot of stuff. I'm not sure it's the boot that makes the difference though, it seems more like it's been more broken in or has loser springs (are there any springs?), or maybe it's a CX-40 while the stiffer ones are CX-10s. (I know those are CX-10s as they are from my grandparents' 1977 model, I'm not sure about the other one though, I think it's a late 70s model -still from Sunnyvale though)

The stiff ones do seem to be at least as responsive though, the stiffness just makes them a bit uncomfortable to use at times. We've got an old PC joystick around somewhere that feels similar in that stiffness. (it must be a pseudo-digital set-up with resistors pulling through to the pot lines -it probably has pots for centering though, with 2 sliders for calibration -so not rotary)

For a proper tabletop set-up and without modifying the controller (gluing it to a base or adding suction cups), you could rig up a little box and base for it to fit into and provide a stable base it can simply fit into. I wonder if an accessory like that was ever released, especially one for 2 joysticks. (especially useful for the few games requiring dual joystick control -including Robotron 2084 on the 7800 -and I assume the 8-bit version supported 2 joysticks as well)

If you ever played space invaders on Atari 800 or other similar games you can tap on a rigid digital joystick and destroy an entire column of aliens as you follow them. With a non-rigid joystick or the ones that create more bounce, it's undoable. Even in Centipede/millipede, you get more accuracy with the CX-40 type joystick than the loose type or even trackball since in the latter you can't tell exactly where you are on y-axis which makes a difference in whether you get killed or not.

If you ever played space invaders on Atari 800 or other similar games you can tap on a rigid digital joystick and destroy an entire column of aliens as you follow them. With a non-rigid joystick or the ones that create more bounce, it's undoable. Even in Centipede/millipede, you get more accuracy with the CX-40 type joystick than the loose type or even trackball since in the latter you can't tell exactly where you are on y-axis which makes a difference in whether you get killed or not.

Yeah, I didn't mean super loose ones or long throw, like the O^2. You could have a softer joystick that responds to slight movements too, a good d-pad (or digital thumbstick) will do likewise. That CX-40 stick (if that's what it actually is) I have requires very little movement, it just has lower resistance than the CA-10 sticks I have. (if it's also a CX10, it's really worn)

Edited by kool kitty89

That was my first console and I actually loved the controllers. I found they way more easy on the hands than my friend's Atari 2600.

Where they sucked was actually the connectors for the joysticks. Those things wore out pretty quick.

I haven't used them personally, but the configuration of the stick and non recessed button of the Gemini seems like it would have benefited the ColecoVision controllers.

Again, I also like the idea of the separate paddle knob rather then the integrated paddle/joystick Atari implemented on the 2700, 2800, and several prototypes -the smaller paddle dial combined with the spinning joystick make it a less attractive layout IMO. (I'm talking general layout, not build quality, of course)

Edited by kool kitty89

Yeah, I didn't mean super loose ones or long throw, like the O^2. You could have a softer joystick that responds to slight movements too, a good d-pad (or digital thumbstick) will do likewise. That CX-40 stick (if that's what it actually is) I have requires very little movement, it just has lower resistance than the CA-10 sticks I have. (if it's also a CX10, it's really worn)

If there's a digital thumbstick that you use with two hands, yeah that may help but normally I press the fire button with left hand and tap the joystick with right hand to get the accuracy for games like Space Invaders (or Atari Invaders). In Odyssey2, the joystick is too loose. I guess you mean Odyssey2 by O^2 and not ozone molecules.

In Odyssey2, the joystick is too loose. I guess you mean Odyssey2 by O^2 and not ozone molecules.

Yes, I meant the Odyssey² though Ozone is O3, O2 is a normal, stable oxygen molecule. (and in both cases, subscripts, not superscripts)

Okay, 2O3 -> 3O2 when they decay. I guess there's no way to type subscripts in normal typing; they normally write Odyssey2 although it's a superscript. That's one key character missing on keyboards-- they have <, >, ^, but nothing for pointing down. Amazingly, H2O2 and O2 and H2O all exist in stable forms.

I could have all five of what I listed, and more- like others have mentioned- if there was just the ONE thing the Atari 5200 had had:

INTELLIGENT PEOPLE IN CHARGE OF ATARI AND WARNER COMMUNICATIONS!!

Bonus: no 2600 E.T.!

I doubt you went and measured their IQs. Perhaps, they purposely wanted to screw things up because of frustrations with issues at Atari.

I never did figure out that E.T. game but I think some people have and they like it.

I doubt you went and measured their IQs. Perhaps, they purposely wanted to screw things up because of frustrations with issues at Atari.

:lol:

I never did figure out that E.T. game but I think some people have and they like it.

Yeak, it's OK, but a bit rough around the edges. It's definitely the kind of game you need a detialed manual for, if not a guide (not as bad as Indiana Jones though). This makes it look pretty decent:

I think the "ET Phone Home" game for the 800 seems a good bit better though, and I think it was similarly rushed. (time wise at least)

The bad thing about ET on the VCS is the whole deal surrounding it. Atari Inc had offered a moderate licencing offer prior and was turned down by Universal. Warner made their own deal involving Spielberg for a huge cost and condition from Spielberg that it had to be released by that chrismas... The reason thay manufactured so many is due to marketing determining that was the minimum number they could sell at a profit.

:lol:

Yeak, it's OK, but a bit rough around the edges. It's definitely the kind of game you need a detialed manual for, if not a guide (not as bad as Indiana Jones though). This makes it look pretty decent:

I think the "ET Phone Home" game for the 800 seems a good bit better though, and I think it was similarly rushed. (time wise at least)

The bad thing about ET on the VCS is the whole deal surrounding it. Atari Inc had offered a moderate licencing offer prior and was turned down by Universal. Warner made their own deal involving Spielberg for a huge cost and condition from Spielberg that it had to be released by that chrismas... The reason thay manufactured so many is due to marketing determining that was the minimum number they could sell at a profit.

For some games, the covers make people buy it but then the game sucks. And vice-versa for others-- where the label/cover is no good but game is good.

1. As everyone said, either a self centering controller with sturdier buttons, or a simple digital stick. The keypad could have been built into the system for all I cared.

2. More ports of games from the 8-bit computer line over to the 5200. If RAM was an issue, then "dumb down" the games a tad to fit, or add in extra ram on the cart. More original titles would have helped out too. So, to break it down, MORE GAMES.

3. Immediate backward compatibility isn't an issue with me, but would have been nice....ditch the controller compartment for a 2600 slot.

4. Not going with the "all-in-one" switch box/power and just going with the standard power port and switch box like the 2 port variation.

5. I would have liked it if Atari would have taken real time on the console to perfect everything that was put in to it. If that would have happened, perhaps an extra 6 months to a year development time, it would have been the savior of the 84 crash. A system with the power of a computer, but the accessibility of a console gaming system.

Quite honestly, for the flaws the 5200 had, it gave it character. It was big, powerful, and had great games. It was the simple mindedness of consumers that really hampered the console then. They wanted to have the Atari 2600 but with better graphics. I also blame Atari for not pushing developers over to the 5200 and begin the death phase of the 2600.

2. More ports of games from the 8-bit computer line over to the 5200. If RAM was an issue, then "dumb down" the games a tad to fit, or add in extra ram on the cart. More original titles would have helped out too. So, to break it down, MORE GAMES.

I do believe the vast majority of cartridge based atari 8-bit games worked with 16 kB (a fair chunk must have worked in 8 kB if they wanted to include the lowest common denominator -non-upgraded early 400/800 adopters).

ditch the controller compartment for a 2600 slot.

I think it'd be most efficient to use a single slot like the 7800 with added outboard pins.

4. Not going with the "all-in-one" switch box/power and just going with the standard power port and switch box like the 2 port variation.

I would assume that's due to reliability and cost; otherwise having that auto switchbox is quite convenient (the later mechanism used by Nintendo etc, was superior, granted). However, the biggest pain was simply having to reach behind the TV to switch -depending on your set-up, but that might have been solved with a switchbox with a long cable on the output side to allow for more flexible placement of the box. (not sure why the mechanism Nintendo used a couple years later wasn't yet practical though -or maybe they just hadn't though of it yet)

I'm not sure when TVs/VCRs started including composite video/audio ports, but if even high-end TVs had RCA AV inputs by 1980, that would be enough to merit the 5200 including them (possibly using a similar DIN connector to the A8 computers).

5. I would have liked it if Atari would have taken real time on the console to perfect everything that was put in to it. If that would have happened, perhaps an extra 6 months to a year development time, it would have been the savior of the 84 crash. A system with the power of a computer, but the accessibility of a console gaming system.

Weak hardware had nothing to do with the 83 crash though, it was overinflation of the market largely tied to mismanagement at Atari/Warner -an oversimplification though. (commodore's price war had a huge catalyzing effect too)

The A8 hardware was fine for the time, nothing wrong with it, though the 5200 was a bit of a muddled/rushed mess in hardware terms. (probably for a number of reasons including the management issues and interdivision relationships at atari)

Quite honestly, for the flaws the 5200 had, it gave it character. It was big, powerful, and had great games. It was the simple mindedness of consumers that really hampered the console then. They wanted to have the Atari 2600 but with better graphics. I also blame Atari for not pushing developers over to the 5200 and begin the death phase of the 2600.

Not sure that's quite how it was, the market was confused in part by the large number of emerging platforms (granted, the main ones established were VCS, Intellivision, CV, and 5200, but then the Arcadia and Vectrex popped up -and previous competitors had already fallen behind I think), but on top of that were home computers with ever encroaching price points.

I'm not sure what "have the 2600 with better graphics" means though, do you mean a fully compatible upgraded console, an upgrade module for the VCS, enhancement hardware on-cart, what? (the latter was done with the DPC chip used in Pitfall II, of course)

Now as to pushing developers to the 5200 (or resources in general), I'd agree, and pushing to both the 5200 and A8-bit makes sense (similar architecture), but "begin the death phase" of the 2600 would have been crazy to do at the time, even in hind sight, let alone in the context of 1982! Now, shifting the 2600's market position perhaps, yes, but regardless they 2600 should have continued to be suppored as long as profitable, so continue selling but with fewer new games and less advertising and pushing more to the budget market well into the late 1980s. All big successful platforms end up this way, NES, SNES, Genesis, SMS (in Europe and Brazil), PSX, and especially PS2; all last a long time past their prime. (look at the PS2, still in production 10 years after being launched)