IGNORED

FC3 plays NES,SNES, and Genesis

The FC Twin was a piece of junk, so I'm not too hopeful. The only good thing about it is that it looks like a Super Famicom with extra slots (assuming they don't change the case for the production run).

I wonder if the Power Base converter would work with it? If it does it would be quite a space saver.

It sure would save some space if the compatibility and sound/graphics are improved over previous models I think I might get one.

That's a really big "if". I'm actually getting a bit sick of all the half-assed clone systems that have been put out in the past few years. If someone could actually make one, and do it right, I'd be stockpiling the things. I'm willing to bet this will just be another one to pass on.

given that inside the fc twin and genx/gntwin they're all separate boards, this system shouldn't come as a huge surprise. There's just 3 mini-boards instead of 2. I suspect snes controllers will be used.

if the retroduo team makes one too, I'll go for it. Sorry yobo, you guys suck. There's a huge difference between 'playable' and 'plays correctly'

Edited by Reaperman

I owned an FC twin, played fine for me. It was great that it used SNES controllers as well so I could go wireless. If this one uses SNES controller ports I will buy one since there doesn't seem to be ANY wireless Genesis controllers :)

I seem to recall that sega made some IR controllers for genesis...but I heard they didn't suck nearly as badly as everybody else's

I've been using the FC Twin on and off for a couple of years now and it's worked flawlessly (that is, with my big collection of 20 or so SNES carts and 2 NES carts).

I suppose it's just a dream but i'd love to see a truly high-quality SMS/NES/Genesis/SNES system with 100% compatibility. Just put in the effort and charge appropriately and it would sell very well, probably even in this s*** economy :P

I suppose it's just a dream but i'd love to see a truly high-quality SMS/NES/Genesis/SNES system with 100% compatibility. Just put in the effort and charge appropriately and it would sell very well, probably even in this s*** economy :P

Well, honestly, the Genesis and SNES are fairly well-built systems with top-notch AV options. I don't really NEED a repro of those. I don't know enough about the SMS to comment on it. But the NES... we are SORELY in need of a source of fully-functional, fully-compatible NES units. It's a project I'd start myself if I had even a third of the hardware knowledge needed to start it. :x

Well I sadly bought a regular FC as an excuse for buying a NES. I regret this decision mostly because it's more fun to own the original. It plays most NES games but FC3 kind of sounds boring. A lot of third party systems tend to not work well as possible. I've seen a lot of Genesis/NES combined systems be kind of crummy.

These reviews kind of explain for themselves -

2-in-1 NES/Genesis System

Another NES/Genesis System

Yobo is more interested in having a system than having a system that works.

The price tag is also a little heavy. You would spend the same amount on a SNES and a Genesis combined, maybe even all 3 combined, but you would have an actual game system that can work.

SUMMARY -

An OK console that is for lazy people too lazy to find an actual system.

Edited by dave04045

I like the RetroDuo and was considering adding a GN Twin someday since it supports playing Japanese Genesis titles (I want to be able to play Turbo Outrun).

Wonder if this thing supports Japanese Sega Genesis/MegaDrive titles? If it does, I'll get this instead. Most of the Genesis clones do a pretty decent job.

• 1 month later...
It uses custom controllers.

why? why would they further cripple their system?

oh I know why, because every generation of these yobos somehow winds up in my house, and if they made a good one, I'd stop buying them.

I think they need to use custom controllers so they will work with the3 platforms. It would be nice if they used standard SNES controllers.

It uses custom controllers.

oh I know why, because every generation of these yobos somehow winds up in my house, and if they made a good one, I'd stop buying them.

LOL :D

I think I'm going to start using the word "Yobo" to describe a person of low intellect, the same way you'd say "dipshit".

Me in traffic tomorrow "Pick a lane, you fucking yobo!" :x

Seems like an appropriate adaptation of the word, given the messed-up nature of the NOAC systems.

• 2 weeks later...
The FC Twin was a piece of junk, so I'm not too hopeful. The only good thing about it is that it looks like a Super Famicom with extra slots (assuming they don't change the case for the production run).

I wonder if the Power Base converter would work with it? If it does it would be quite a space saver.

I have an FC Twin myself, and for me, it works wonderfully. I have at least 25 SNES games and all work perfectly. The NOAC in the unit (I have the jeweled unit) is the most accurate one I have ever come across, and I have a massive library of NES games, and all work fine. So to me, the FC Twin isn't a piece of junk.

Have you had any bad experiences with the FC Twin?

One thing is for sure, the pack in FC Twin controllers don't really last. The rubber that sits underneath the Y,B,X,A buttons wear out after a few months use. Luckily I am getting a decent third party controller (SN ProPad) to play with. That is one thing I like about the FC Twin, is that you can use official (or decent third-party) SNES controllers.

The FC 3 however uses proprietary 9-pin ports (like the GN Twin) and that means you are basically stuck with the controllers that come with the unit. The FC 3 controllers also have a Genesis style button layout, much like the GN Twin, which means the button arrangement will be different for SNES/NES games. Those are two reasons why I may pass on the FC 3.

I have an FC Twin myself, and for me, it works wonderfully. I have at least 25 SNES games and all work perfectly. The NOAC in the unit (I have the jeweled unit) is the most accurate one I have ever come across, and I have a massive library of NES games, and all work fine. So to me, the FC Twin isn't a piece of junk.

Have you had any bad experiences with the FC Twin?

By "they all work fine" do you mean that it works perfectly, with no sound issues or poor colors/tiling? Or, are there some issues, but they are so minor you don't care? And have you been able to compare it side-by-side with a real NES?

I'd be interested in this if it used SNES controller ports and Genesis controller ports. It would make the system a bit more bulky, but it beats the hell out of the space taken by a NES toploader, SNES model 1, and a Genesis (even a model 3). Not to mention the benefit of one AC adapter and one set of AV inputs compared to three AC adapters and a daisy chain of RF switches.

By "they all work fine" do you mean that it works perfectly, with no sound issues or poor colors/tiling? Or, are there some issues, but they are so minor you don't care? And have you been able to compare it side-by-side with a real NES?

Well, to me, the SNES side has no issues whatsoever. I have several games that have videos of gameplay at http://super.nesguide.com, and I can easily compare a game that I have (NCAA Football or Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster Busts Loose) to a real SNES as the videos hosted at that site are recorded directly from an official SNES system, not a clone or an emulator. And from this site, I can easily tell that the FC Twin's SNES portion has audio that is spot on with official hardware. It also has really good video output on my TV.

As for the NES side, same thing. I compared the audio from my jeweled FC Twin to gameplay videos at NESGuide.com (like SNESGuide, gameplay is recorded from an official NES, no clones or emulators), and the audio on the FC Twin's NES is almost the same as the real thing. The sounds/music are the same pitch and colors are more accurate. I can tell as I have a GN Twin, and the NOAC in that unit is innacurate to the one in my jeweled FC Twin, even moreso to an official NES. The NOAC audio in the FC Twin still has very minor issues I don't care about, but me (and Ace_1) know that the FC Twin's with the "Yobo Gameware" jewel behind the cart slot have NES audio on par with an official NES.

Was your FC Twin with a "Yobo" jewel behind the cart slot, or no jewel whatsoever? The earlier, non jeweled units have innacurate NES audio and more compatibility issues with SNES games.

has anybody bought one of these yet?

I'm usually pretty early to jump onboard, but since my projector has trouble with the genesis 240p video signal (including video spit out by my Yobo GN Twin) there's no use in me 'upgrading' from retro duo. If I had a boat or a mobile home--this would be pretty high on my xmas list.

I'm slightly curious as to if FC Twin (which I don't own) has the trouble with jackal or castlevania III audio. (volume unblalanced on some channels) My Retro Duo does have these problems, as well as a few other games with audio issues--mostly konami/ultra titles--but those two are the most common, and obviously effected.

Edited by Reaperman

Ok, I acutally have compared them side by side (I don't own one of those multi-system...systems, but I did borrow one from a friend and put some time comparing).

I'd say about maybe 85% of the time the emulation was pretty spot on. If there were any differences, I couldn't tell. However, when there WERE differences, they were freakin' GLARING, as in colors so jacked up it was just a mess, and when the sound didn't work, it REALLY didn't work, as in either being horribly out of sync or doing some weird stuff. Me, personally, I own all the systems these things try to emulate anyway, and I like having each system for it's own games (and you can't use a lot of the peripherals on these multi-systems anyway, and I LOVE pulling out the Zapper from time to time). Overall, I say just get the systems they emulate. The SNES and Genesis especially are pretty cheap, and you should be able to get a toaster NES for under 50 bucks.