IGNORED

Dragon's Lair Colecovision Prototype

retroillucid

After searching for some info about this game here's what I've found...

This game also appear on the C64, ZX Spectrum & the Amstrad CPC too...

From the LEFT the C64 version & to the RIGHT the Colecovision Prototype :)

Does anybody here were able to properly play it on the real hardware?

So on these the game was a game and not just a controlled movie?

Yup! ;)

I had the C64 Dragon's Lair back in the day and can confirm the screenshot as the falling platforms. The gameplay was interesting, as it was a cross between interactive movies (in some screens) and platformer-type gameplay in others. So, in the screen shown, Dirk leaps onto the platform's center and it begins falling. But gusts of wind appear to the sides and you must run "against" the wind or be blown off. So it plays as a "reaction" game. But the Crypt Creeps screen (the giant skeleton hands, hallway) was an interactive movie of sorts as you had to bump the stick and hit the button as needed like in the original game.

I recall that the Whirlpools and Rapids screen was a driving sim type gameplay and the final duel with Singe was trying to dodge fireballs long enough to get the sword and then drive the sword into his heart.

Yup! ;)

Not true. Some screens are controlled movies (just like the arcade) where you have to hit left/right/up/down at exactly the right time. Other screens were more interactive, like a traditional game is. It's a mixed bag -- probably about 50% of each.

Edited by else

• 3 months later...

I've seen the goon before on the platform... was it on the harder levels? Or did the Adam version even have difficulty settings on this game? Maybe the second go-round? Hell, maybe it was a prototype rom I played or something.

But yes, this style Dragons Lair game was Coleco's work on justifying the $2million they paid for the Dragon's Lair license to launch their Laser Disc/CED project is my understanding. When Coleco went under, a british company called "Software Projects" obtained the license from Coleco for home computers, and basically just ported it. They also did the DL II Singe's Castle I think, while Readysoft did the DL 3 for Amiga. Interesting history on this title overall. :) Still can't find anything on WHO at Coleco was responsible for this gem. While it's a far cry from the arcade game, it's still awesome for it's time, and one of my fave Coleco titles. :)

And yes, I do believe any of the Supergames should be portable to the Megacart with the right effort. :)

I have never played the CV/Adam version of Dragon's Lair... the video of the gameplay looks very impressive. Its interesting that they changed much of the gameplay from the original, yet it looks like they made a very good game. How does it play from a direct player perspective - it looks good in the video, but how does it play first hand?

Curt

Been a while since I played it, but it was a very fun implementation of the game.

In the last scene, where Singe is shooting his fireballs at Dirk, there are bonus items hidden in the rocks, if you let singe destroy them all the way.

I have never played the CV/Adam version of Dragon's Lair... the video of the gameplay looks very impressive. Its interesting that they changed much of the gameplay from the original, yet it looks like they made a very good game. How does it play from a direct player perspective - it looks good in the video, but how does it play first hand?

Curt

Although the controls are not the greatest, it is playable and actually pretty enjoyable. Consistent with the standard of gameplay control back then (in regards to animation frames, collision detection, control).

• 2 weeks later...

Yea, adam dragon's lair is STILL my favorite version of the game, since it translated the cartoon into an actual video game. I wish someone would make a mega cart with all the adam games on it so I would no longer have to deal with the giant adam+ printer (that I hacked in half and just use as a PSU.)

Yea, adam dragon's lair is STILL my favorite version of the game, since it translated the cartoon into an actual video game. I wish someone would make a mega cart with all the adam games on it so I would no longer have to deal with the giant adam+ printer (that I hacked in half and just use as a PSU.)

I can see the parallels to Tarzan, but I personally see this as a much more playable game. The scene changes basically make it like several (9 I think) mini games. I recall at the time, it was probably my favorite game on a home system up until Super Mario Bros/NES came out.

I'll go so far as to say that DL was a great example of the Adam's capabilities, and a showpiece of software at the time. Of course, OpCode has since blown the doors off of anything I dreamed about in those mid 80's days as a teenager with a Coleco habit. :)

And yes, making a megacart or even roms for the Atarimax cart (is the Atarimax cart compatible with MegaCarts? Anyone?? Steve??), that would be awesome. I expect some things would need to be trimmed, but even if they were playable board by board as separate games, that would be better than nothing. :) I still think someone should make a Adam Emulator for the ColecoVision. :) That would rock! (I know, they're kind of one in the same already, not here to debate the definition of emulator though. lol)

Murph

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Given enough memory, the CV was capable of some pretty impressive games. But could this have been done on a CV, with bank switching?

It probably would be GREAT with a combination of this and a "Lord of the Dungeon" type mini-maze games mixed in.

Edited by CV Gus