IGNORED

7800 Super Pac-Man - I found the bug!

PacManPlus

Hi Guys:

I am posting my WIP for Super Pac-Man for the 7800. It is basically done, but there are two bugs that I am working on. One of them I need to figure out how to replicate consistently.

1) The HSC logo colors are wrong. Still working on that one

2) On the later levels, Blinky 'jumps'. If he is moving upward when he jumps, he leaves a 'piece' of him behind, until he re-enters the same row that the piece was left in. When you see it you'll understand what I mean. It only happens rarely, which makes it a very difficult bug to squash.

If any of you figure out how to replicate it consistently, please let me know.

NOTE - The above issue only happens on real hardware, not in emulation. :(

CC2 Setting:

7800: Super Pac-Man SUPERPAC HSC_48K HSC

A HUGE, HUGE THANK YOU TO KENFUSED WHO HELPED ME THROUGH SOME OF THE MORE DIFFICULT BUGS

Let me know what you think! :)

post-1787-1223666455_thumb.png

post-1787-1223666461_thumb.png

post-1787-1223666466_thumb.png

post-1787-1223666470_thumb.png

post-1787-1223666475_thumb.png

post-1787-1223666481_thumb.png

post-1787-1223666487_thumb.png

Please put me down for one, what a nice job!

Thanks a lot, everyone... I've updated the first post with a few fixes. It wasn't awarding you with a bonus Pac at 30K and 100K. That was fixed.

Mitch and HammR25, please let me know if the HSC still crashes. I may leave the colors as they are there... It's not that bad :)

I'm not at home at the moment (got this on my laptop) :twisted: but I had a few minutes to look at it.

Thanks again...

Bob

Now, if I can just stop Blinky from jumping!!!! Still trying to figure out how to re-create it on a repeatable basis. :(

BTW, There were a lot of color issues until kenfused helped me :)

I gotta ask, how come the ghosts monsters don't look like Pac-Man Collection ghosts exactly?

I had to change the size of the monsters, due to the odd maze layout in this game (it's different that the others before it. Once I did that, the eyes didn't look right, and so on... etc...)

Edited by PacManPlus

Mitch and HammR25, please let me know if the HSC still crashes. I may leave the colors as they are there... It's not that bad :)

Works for me now Bob.

Yes, the HSC bug seems to have been fixed for me as well. :)

I was surprised to see that the Blinky bug happens when he is blue as well. I don't know if this is related but Blinky seems to shiver more violently than the rest of the ghosts.

Mitch

Wow... Now we just need a port of the poorly maligned Jr. Pacman and we will bet set. :)

And Baby Pac-Man!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Holy shit,I just sat down and played it!!!!F yea,u rock!I noticed something.The ghosts blink white faster and so does the board when it's cleared on the arcade.Don't know if that screws up the timing or anything.This is sweeeet!!

Edited by Breakpack

Ok, another update. The object's speeds were different than the arcade. I went through all of the levels on the arcade version, and made the adjustments here. Also, I fixed an issue with the 'slot machine' fruit score looking corrupt for '400'.

*still having the #2 issue noted in the first post* :mad: this one is driving me crazy!

Hey Breakpack - I wanted to keep the 4 1/2 flashes that we've all come to know and love in the earlier Pac-games. :)

Thanks for the kind words everyone! :D

Bob

Looking good!A few other things I noticed..in the arcade, when the ghosts stop and spazz out,doesn't the siren music sometimes stop for a sec?It would be kool if the last item you ate to clear the board didn't cancel out the sound effect so you could hear the 'wakawaka' at the end.And I had one of the ghosts go down in between the star prize/slot machine area.I didn't think they could go down in the arcade ,but I may be wrong.Hope you don't mind the observations :sad:

Edited by Breakpack

OK, in this latest build I noticed that on the hamburger level the gates directly above the "Super Pill" didn't open when you ate the key. Is it supposed to be like that? I'm not familiar enough with the arcade version to know.

Mitch

OK, in this latest build I noticed that on the hamburger level the gates directly above the "Super Pill" didn't open when you ate the key. Is it supposed to be like that? I'm not familiar enough with the arcade version to know.

Mitch

Hey Mitch,

Which key opens which gate definitely changes as you increase in levels. I am not familar enough to know the timing either. See here:

http://strategywiki.org/wiki/Super_Pac-Man/Walkthrough

"As the levels increase in difficulty, the gates that a key opens moves farther away from where the key is actually located. In other words:

At the beginning levels, the gates that a key opens are likely to be right next to the key.

In later levels, the gates that a key opens are likely to be found on the opposite side of the screen from the key."

Also:

http://www.mameworld.net/maws/romset/superpcm

"* Although the maze layout is always the same, the keys on later levels open different doors, so you can't rely on the same patterns on each screen."

Hope that helps.

-Trebor

Edited by Trebor

Bug/Problem...Stage 13 "Bells"...I unlocked a Gate at one side of the tunnel. The other side of the tunnel the gate was still locked. I went through the tunnel as 'regular' Pac-Man and broke thru the gate on the other side. Obviously breaking thru the gate should be a job for Super Pac-Man only :D

post-18-1223809364_thumb.pngpost-18-1223809385_thumb.png

-Trebor