IGNORED

Nintendo Wii 2 by 2010

slosu

Not really. The Wii came out in Nov of 2001....It just didn't have a funky motion controller packaged with it at that time. ;)

Ahh, so your GameCube in 2001 apparently ran @ 729 Mhz and had 88 mb ram? It also had a DVD drive instead of a minidisc? Also must have been nice for it to have WiFi and online play as well.

Knowing how lucky you are, I must have been ripped off. My GameCube that I bought in 2002 only ran at 485 Mhz and only had 43MB mb. Everything was on those little mini-discs and I couldn't hook it up to my WiFi. I really should write Nintendo and complain that my GameCube wasn't as good as yours ...

:P

Seriously though ... unless the Wii suddenly falls in the toilet saleswise, why would they replace it so quickly? There's no incentive to launch a new console when the current keeps moving and they are leading the way (sales-wise) this round.

Edited by DracIsBack

I really should write Nintendo and complain that my GameCube wasn't as good as yours ...

No need. Your Gamecube was the same as mine. The minor upgrades you mentioned don't mean a thing if the games look exactly the same do they now? So the processor is slightly faster and it has slightly more memory. *yawn*

In any case, you could upgrade the N64 memory withoutout buying a whole new system couldn't you?

You don't need WiFi to play online, here is some info explaining alternatives for you.... http://gamecube.onlineconsoles.com/phpBB2/...s_getonline.php

Besides all that...I'm pretty sure a WiFi adapter could have been released. Agreed?

And finally....yes you could have gotten a Gamecube that played DVDs if that floats your boat.

For all intensive purposes. The Wii is a Gamecube.

Edited by moycon

I do think we'll see another Wii for Christmas 2010 - but I'm not sure if it will be a true Wii2 or sometype of updated Wii ala DSLite/GBASP with maybe builtin Motion Plus, Wiispeak, onboard memory/harddrive, and upscaling with antialiasing.

I don't consider my Wii to be a Cube with a different controller - it really is more than the sum of its parts. The channel structure, built in memory, virtual console, built in wifi (and DS demos), webbrowser and yes, Wiimotes all add up to a system that I enjoy much more than my limited time owning a Cube. To me looking at the Cube vs the Wii is alot like looking at a PC vs a Mac - they may have roughly the same hardware but they are very different overall experiences.

With that said, I do wish they had launched the Wii with a bit more horsepower (and storage) right out of the gate.

I know this conversation has devolved a bit, but I'm glad that wii was sold as its own system rather than a 'bolt-on plugin accessory' for gamecube. Look at all this momentum they gained by doing it, and the massive profits involved.

Oh it could have been an addon that screwed into the bottom of gamecube--and that might have dropped the price to $99 instead of $249. Yes, the whole thing could really have been done like that, but it would have been another 'sega cd'. The fanbase would be limited to 'gamecube owners willing to pump another $100 into their console'. Of which, there are about 50 known in the world... 3rd party support would be nearly nonexistant and it'd already be dead.

yes wii is basically an overclocked gamecube, so it's a successor mostly in the realm of marketing. it has succeeded at that.

Wii's power isn't important. On paper it's more powerful than gamecube, but secretly I think many wii owners wished more of their games looked as good as gamecube titles. Wii is a hot gamecube, with some far better firmware and a few other features. No it's not the massive redesign it could have been, but it's got an awful lot of momentum behind it and it prints money. I can't see nintendo wanting to change that for a good while. I'm thinking summer 2011 japanese release and late 2011 US xmas release. That'd give it a full 5 year run, but depending on how sales go, this could turn into a system with lengthy support--like the gameboy.

I'm not a wii fan, but if I were the one building and selling wii's--I'd let that **** ride as long as I could.

Edited by Reaperman

Seriously though ... unless the Wii suddenly falls in the toilet saleswise, why would they replace it so quickly? There's no incentive to launch a new console when the current keeps moving and they are leading the way (sales-wise) this round.

Because if Nintendo sells a HD version of the Wii, they can sell it to everyone all over again. Nintendo is the master of slighting upgrading hardware and repackaging it as new (GBA>GBASP>GBASP2, DS>DSLite>DSI, 'Cube>Wii>WiiHD?).

Because if Nintendo sells a HD version of the Wii, they can sell it to everyone all over again. Nintendo is the master of slighting upgrading hardware and repackaging it as new (GBA>GBASP>GBASP2, DS>DSLite>DSI, 'Cube>Wii>WiiHD?).

yeah, but that's not really a new system as I was thinking. I do expect wii to be upgraded to HD, and get some more storage options well before next gen. I'm really surprised it's not this xmas--guess we have to wait until next year.

Oh it could have been an addon that screwed into the bottom of gamecube--and that might have dropped the price to $99 instead of $249.

Yep, That's all I was saying and of course it was a smart move Nintendo didn't do that. The Wii is still hard to find in places!!

Wii lovers sure don't like to hear that though.

I haven't figured out why but they don't.

I guess they were just embarrassed by the Gamecube to begin with and don't want to associate with it??

I can't really come up with a decent reason why someone would deny the Wii is anything more than an upgraded Gamecube.

Here's the million dollar question. If Nintendo re-releases the Wii in 2010 with Hi-Def and a couple other perks ( Example: even slightly faster processor, 2 Gig eternal memory etc....) Will folks re-buy it again?? Personally I can't see nintendo doing a full redesign. Why would they at this point? It would really suck if the only way to increase your storage is to buy a new Wii in 2010 though.

I agree.....the Wii is NOT a Gamecube. I'm guessing that if you believe that, you're also one of those who believe the Atari 7800 is CRAP too. That it's really the Atari 2600 II.

Probably not. The 7800 has an entirely different graphical architecture than the 2600. Not an 'apple and orange' comparison but a "apple and triangle" comparison.

One of the gripes that the detractors have with the Wii is that ... even though it has more memory and horsepower ... it doesn't offer any new graphics capabilities.

In the case of the 7800, it has more memory, more horsepower and substantially greater graphics capabilities.

Oh it could have been an addon that screwed into the bottom of gamecube--and that might have dropped the price to $99 instead of $249.

Yep, That's all I was saying and of course it was a smart move Nintendo didn't do that. The Wii is still hard to find in places!!

Wii lovers sure don't like to hear that though.

I haven't figured out why but they don't.

I guess they were just embarrassed by the Gamecube to begin with and don't want to associate with it??

I can't really come up with a decent reason why someone would deny the Wii is anything more than an upgraded Gamecube.

Here's the million dollar question. If Nintendo re-releases the Wii in 2010 with Hi-Def and a couple other perks ( Example: even slightly faster processor, 2 Gig eternal memory etc....) Will folks re-buy it again?? Personally I can't see nintendo doing a full redesign. Why would they at this point? It would really suck if the only way to increase your storage is to buy a new Wii in 2010 though.

Nintendo has been the master of repackaging old technology... however, that seems to have worked for them. Gameboy in all it's incarnations was around a long time. Many people repurchased this technology over and over. Why? It was fun! The games are just better. I still have not bought an Xbox 360 or PS3 and there is nothing I want to play. Great technology but who cares if you dont want to play it. My PSP sits idle all the time, I think its going to just end up as an emulation device.

The Wii however gets used all the time and with the holidays coming the whole family will be over at my place playing games on it. They all have one so I expect I'll lose a few times this year ;)

The minor upgrades you mentioned don't mean a thing if the games look exactly the same do they now?

So, to clarify, you're saying that you're judging the system's design and merit based entirely on how the games look? That's a VERY odd position to take on a board centered around Atari games. :P

For all INTENTS AND PURPOSES, it is not.

Ask some of the other AA mods...They will set you straight.

Indeed, so here you go: Unlike the PS3 and the X360, which just added more of what their previous models had, did Nintendo not only that (which apparently would already legitimate the differentiation from the Gamecube), but on top of that revolutionized controllers once again.

Actually if you're so happy of repeating this silly argument over and over again, your main target for this kind of criticism should be Microsoft, for selling people repackaged DirectX PCs twice already...

For all INTENTS AND PURPOSES, it is not.

Ask some of the other AA mods...They will set you straight.

Indeed, so here you go: Unlike the PS3 and the X360, which just added more of what their previous models had, did Nintendo not only that (which apparently would already legitimate the differentiation from the Gamecube), but on top of that revolutionized controllers once again.

Actually if you're so happy of repeating this silly argument over and over again, your main target for this kind of criticism should be Microsoft, for selling people repackaged DirectX PCs twice already...

Yup, Cybergoth just set me straight. :cool:

Indeed, so here you go: Unlike the PS3 and the X360, which just added more of what their previous models had, did Nintendo not only that but on top of that revolutionized controllers once again.

They didn't add hardly anything Cybergoth, that's the point. They made the processor faster and added a small bit of internal memory. At least with both the PS3 and the 360 you can tell that some changes were made. I hate to say it Cyber, the changes to the Gamecube were so slight, they aren't noticeable, you stating over and over they upgraded the GameCude tremendously doesn't change that. Boot up a Gamecube game and a Wii game side by side (I’m assuming you’ve never done this) and find out for yourself. Now do the same for the PS2 and the PS3. See the difference? And speaking of hardly....the Wii-motes are hardly revolutionary. First off, it's been done before, and secondly, the technology only works well with certain (few) games, but whatever. You're happy and that's all that matters. If a slightly faster processor and a small bit of internal memory is worth hundereds of $$$ to you as a gamer, so be it....but don't state that and then call me silly guy. Still...Maybe in 2010 you can get lucky and do it all over again!! ;)

Yup, Cybergoth just set me straight.

How about ask one that owns a videogame system other than the Wii.

Edited by moycon

So does that mean I should ask myself then??? Fair enough.

Me: "Self, is the Wii just a GameCube?"

Self: "No, it is much more than a GameCube, considering that it has faster hardware, more memory, internal storage, and wireless networking. Oh, and not to mention a completely different control system than any other previous console."

Me: "But isn't the hardware pretty much just the same as the GameCube's?"

Self: "You mean the faster versions of the same CPU and GPU? That's about the only similarity it has with the GameCube. The GameCube had none of the other features I listed."

Me: "But you can play GameCube games on the Wii! Doesn't that make it the same?"

Self: "Wouldn't the real question be 'Can you play Wii games on the GameCube?', in which the answer would be a resounding NO."

Me: "Yes, good point, but...but..."

Self: "Yes?"

Me: "Um, nevermind..."

Yup, looks like I just got told. :P

So does that mean I should ask myself then??? Fair enough.

Me: "Self, is the Wii just a GameCube?"

Self: "No, it is much more than a GameCube, considering that it has faster hardware, more memory, internal storage, and wireless networking. Oh, and not to mention a completely different control system than any other previous console."

Here's the thing, I never said it wasn't different than the Gamecube Sauron. I never said Nintendo took a Gamecube, called it a Wii, repackaged and sold it as is...did I? I said what the Wii offers could have been add ons for the Gamecube. You keep telling me how the Wii is different. Not exactly sure why. Unless you think the Wii is some sort of powerhouse now with it's faster processor, I sure don't they look and play just like Gamecube games and countless game reviews state the same thing, so I doubt you'd see a difference if they just offered a wireless network adapter (they already had a wired network adapter) , a 500meg memory card, and maybe some sort of attachment that allowed Wii-mote fuctions on the very few games that benefit from it, would you? That's all I've ever been saying. Ask yourself that and see what witty response you get.

It's obvious after about the 5th Wii game you play it offers nothing more than the Gamecube did. (If you've owned a Gamecube that is, I'll assume you didn't since you don't seem to understand). The only thing that might see a difference had Nintendo just offered those add-ons would be your wallet. :cool:

I'm sure Nintendo doesn't mind though. Maybe in 2010 you can upgrade your storage and internal memory again!! :)

Edited by moycon

Here's the thing, I never said it wasn't different than the Gamecube Sauron. I never said Nintendo took a Gamecube, called it a Wii, repackaged and sold it as is...did I? I said what the Wii offers could have been add ons for the Gamecube. You keep telling me how the Wii is different. Not exactly sure why. Unless you think the Wii is some sort of powerhouse now with it's faster processor, I sure don't they look and play just like Gamecube games and countless game reviews state the same thing, so I doubt you'd see a difference if they just offered a wireless network adapter (they already had a wired network adapter) , a 500meg memory card, and maybe some sort of attachment that allowed Wii-mote fuctions on the very few games that benefit from it, would you? That's all I've ever been saying. Ask yourself that and see what witty response you get.

Does this sound familiar?

They didn't add hardly anything Cybergoth, that's the point. They made the processor faster and added a small bit of internal memory.

By that same token, I suppose MS didn't do much different with the 360. They just added in a faster processor, faster GPU, more memory, and a slightly larger HD. Same goes with the PS3. You're making a mountain out of a molehill, and using it as another excuse to take a shit in another Wii thread, which is my whole point of contention here anyway.

It's obvious after about the 5th Wii game you play it offers nothing more than the Gamecube did. (If you've owned a Gamecube that is, I'll assume you didn't since you don't seem to understand). The only thing that might see a difference had Nintendo just offered those add-ons would be your wallet. :cool:

Again, by your same token, I could use the same argument to say that the PS3 or 360 offer nothing new over their predecessors. I'm sure you could include add-ons to just about any console to make it more powerful or to add more features (32X, anyone?), but if it doesn't come standard with the console, how much of an effect is it really going to have with the overall console experience?

But here's the real question...why do you feel the need to take a shit in every thread about the Wii? Is your gaming experience on the other consoles so unfulfilling that you feel the need to fill the void by bringing in your tired old arguments in threads about the Wii and rehashing them to the point of nausea?

Seriously, we got you first time. We got you the 500th time. And we get you yet again. Would you please give it a rest?

By that same token, I suppose MS didn't do much different with the 360.

That's one you can figure out yourself. Anyone can. Simply hook up an Xbox and hook up an Xbox 360 side by side.

Plug in Lego Star Wars in both. Turn on the systems and simply observe. Notice anything?

Now put in one of the last games made for the Xbox, pick one. Then plug in Kameo a Xbox 360 launch title. On boot up.

Notice anything?

LOL That's right. There is a difference and it's immediately noticeable even to someone who knows nothing about processors or memory.

MS did a lot. Sony did a lot. Nintendo. Not so much. That's why I made the statement that the unique Wii features could be Gamecube add-ons. I didn't say the Wii sucked (something if I remember correctly you youself HAVE stated about other non Wii game systems in the past) I didn't say the Wii sucked. I didn't slam, shit on or be-little anything. I just made a true statement.

It's a simple fact and people that have seen the specs, and know what they are talking about have stated, at it's heart, the Wii is built upon a Gamecube. Not that it matters. Like I said, anyone that has played 5 Wii games and has knowledge of the Gamecube can clearly see at a quick glance they are Gamecube games.

Honestly Sauron does this bother you or something? It seems like it might?? Like I said earlier, don't dispare, no-one here ever accused the Gamecube of being a crappy system.

But here's the real question...why do you feel the need to take a shit in every thread about the Wii?

You have me confused with someone else Sauron. I've posted plenty of positives about the Wii and engaged in discussions about the Wii without "shitting" on the thread. Not sure where this is coming from. My guess is you're frustrated and trying to explain it all away by stating unfairly I slam the Wii every chance I get. It's simply not true Sauron.

Edited by moycon

You have me confused with someone else Sauron. I've posted plenty of positives about the Wii and engaged in discussions about the Wii without "shitting" on the thread. Not sure where this is coming from. My guess is you're frustrated and trying to explain it all away by stating unfairly I slam the Wii every chance I get. It's simply not true Sauron.

Ah, so it must just be coincidence that the few times I happen into the Modern Gaming forum, there's at least one active thread in which you're ripping on the Wii? You account for almost a quarter of the posts in this thread alone, which in and of itself is proof enough. If I didn't have a better use for my time I'd dig up many of the other threads that you've had this exact same argument in. You argue this point with the fervor of a religious zealot. Couple that with the complaints I've heard from other members about your affinity for this and it's not hard to put two and two together.

Frustrated? Yes. It's frustrating to read any thread about the Wii and not have you or one of your other anti-Nintendo bigot friends shitting all over it. If one of the mods didn't have your back, I'm sure more than one of you would have at least been sternly warned if not outright banned by now. You can welcome yourself to my ignore list.

Ah, so it must just be coincidence that the few times I happen into the Modern Gaming forum, there's at least one active thread in which you're ripping on the Wii?

Must be. I think the phrase "that the few times I happen into the Modern Gaming forum" is the key here. It suprises me you would make such an accusation based on "the few times"

Maybe you should wander in modern gaming more often??

Luckily all the posts are archived, so you can easily verify.

I honestly don't see how stating Wii features could be GC add-ons is in any way slamming, shitting or ripping on anything though Sauron, but if someone making a statement like that deserves being ignored to you, so be it I only wish you had done it sooner... because the reason I have so many posts in this thread is because of you!! :cool:

Edited by moycon

If you don't think there's much difference between the Xbox 360 and last gen, just look at the game footage for Gears Of War 2. See how much activity is on screen? Neither the Wii or anything last gen could pull off anything like that. And every few months the gap grows wider. The sad part is, there are still Gamecube games that look better than the majority of Wii games.

Well, after reading the two pages of postings on this topic, and watching the debate get uglier, I'm throwing my two cents in (since I have personally enjoyed ALL of Nintendo's game console and portable systems)...

Although you pointed out that the differences between the Gamecube and the Wii are slight, perhaps you are completely right. However, since the innovation of the DS's "touch" screen, we've all seen how well it's done on the market. Same for the Wii, so popular that you can't even get one half the time. Nintendo's innovations are hardly slight and miniscule in the grand scheme of things. It's the little "cosmetic" improvements that have gamers clamering for their consoles.

How many DS Lites sold over the "little" improvements they did over the original DS? Nintendo might not be the "hot" innovator of the video game generation, but they know that "odd" improvements WILL sell their consoles. If anything, the Wii 2 will sell just as many, if not more, units than their original Wii.

Nintendo is still a contender, perhaps not to the heavy-hitters of the current video game genre, but there's more than enough of the market to go around that Nintendo can get a nice, comfy slice of the pie.

-Steve