IGNORED

Which Atari 2600 Games Have the Best Title Screens?

Random Terrain

. . . Toyshop Trouble . . .

Doesn't seem to be a ROM available, so those who don't own it wouldn't know what it looks like. Doesn't seem to be any videos of it at YouTube either.

Screenshot: http://www.atariage.com/screenshot_page.ht...areLabelID=2748

Of course, it doesn't capture the animation. A nice layered effect with the snow falling, and the lights blinking with the music.

Allia Quest and Power Off are both nicely done as well. (Power Off is another that has to be seen in motion.)

http://www.atariage.com/screenshot_page.ht...areLabelID=1134

http://www.atariage.com/screenshot_page.ht...areLabelID=2687

Juno First is another that's looking really good. (Admittedly, I'm a little biased there.)

As to your other question, I like seeing attract/demo modes when possible. It adds a nice level of polish to a game. Lady Bug is an excellent example. After a few bugs run by on the title screen, it will show a demo, then alternate back and forth. It also has a nod to the arcade game with the ROM OK RAM OK screen.

Thanks. I hope people will make YouTube videos of the games that aren't available as ROMs. A moving picture with sound is always better than a screenshot.

I like the Galaxian title screen , but oddly enough you never see it until after the game ends.

Edit:

Looks like it does show up in attract mode , but after a rounds of simulated play.

I enclosed a small video clip. Nothing fancy , and heavily compressed , definitely more colourful on tv.

I agree, I thought this one was pretty flashy.. maybe not the best, but still impressive if it's your first view.

EDIT:

No love for Joust?

Joust was nice too.. I thought the whole game was awesome for the 2600, VERY smooth gameplay for the most part.

Ms. Pac-Man also has an alright title/end screen... though is too bad theres no ghost names.

Edited by 2600FunTimes

• 2 years later...

Besides what everyone else has added, don't forgot these:

• Four-Play - The artwork is top notch and the music is excellent
  • Go Fish - The water effect is truly amazing. The music is also well done.
  • Colony 7 - When you can't tell if it is an Atari or Commodore 64 screenshot, it is masterfully well done

post-17256-129784518429_thumb.pngpost-17256-129784519327_thumb.pngpost-17256-129784523479_thumb.png

Edited by Devin

Adventures of tron is very cool, but I don't need to be on acid to appreciate it.

Some of my other favs are: California Games, Raiders of the Lost Ark, E.T. and Swordquest Earthworld

And of course my all time favorite:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9IMk-TQROY&playnext=1&list=PL017F7351B138E52C

I can't believe that this hasn't received any love in this thread! I mean it's soooo cool!!!

Thanks to RT for helping me insert that totally rad video!

Adventures of tron is very cool, but I don't need to be on acid to appreciate it.

Some of my other favs are: California Games, Raiders of the Lost Ark, E.T. and Swordquest Earthworld

And of course my all time favorite:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9IMk-TQROY&playnext=1&list=PL017F7351B138E52C

I can't believe that this hasn't received any love in this thread! I mean it's soooo cool!!!

Thanks to RT for helping me insert that totally rad video!

That Tron game had a great title screen. I looked it up here and it didn't' have any reviews. It looks like it could be a pretty good game

btw, love the Ace Rimmer

Edited by 2d gamer

That Tron game had a great title screen. I looked it up here and it didn't' have any reviews. It looks like it could be a pretty good gamebtw, love the Ace Rimmer

Yes it absolutely is a great game. Lots of action and VERY addictive

Title screens are nice (Defender II is my favorite), but there's a certain charm in the older games that simply cycle playfield colors. :)

I always thought it would be cool -and I have no idea if it's even possible- to modify a 2600 motherboard by adding a switch (similar to the Pause Switch kit?) that allows you to cycle through a game's color scheme. Basically, manually cycle the colors that the program normally would automatically during "game over"...but then be able to play the game with that color scheme. (I'm guessing this wouldn't work -assuming it's possible at all- with later games/"title screen" games that don't cycle colors.)