IGNORED

Christmas/New Years 2009 demos/pics ?

Rybags

Just wondering if there's interest out there to do another round of demos and pics for Christmas/New Years like we did last year?

Not that we'd have to follow that specific theme, but it was pretty cool to have a mass release of new stuff around the same time.

I've got 2 things I've been working on that I'd like to work up something on to debut both:

- Super-scroll technique (dynamic changing DMA width between normal/narrow to allow 8 character movement without using LMS)

- The CIN+ graphics mode technique which uses GTIA colour mode alternating with single-line multicolour text mode + PMG underlays, allowing 96 colours at 160 pixel width (with some limitations).

Edited by Rybags

It's not new but here's one I did in 1981. It was inspired by Chris Crawford's article in BYTE for December, 1981, about DLIs. The article was one of a BYTE series that became the book De Re Atari.

This is a zipped, bootable ATR. It also turns on the 410 Recorder so you can play your favorite Christmas music cassette!

XMASTREE.zip

• Like 1

This is a zipped, bootable ATR. It also turns on the 410 Recorder so you can play your favorite Christmas music cassette!

Claus, your christmas tree impressed me in old good times. Have you programmed more pictures/demos/intros like this one?

BTW: December 2007

Edited by Kaz atarionline.pl

It's not new but here's one I did in 1981. It was inspired by Chris Crawford's article in BYTE for December, 1981, about DLIs. The article was one of a BYTE series that became the book De Re Atari.

Wow - that was one of my first BBS downloads at a glorious 300 baud back in 87. I never knew it let you play cassettes.

Stephen Anderson

Claus, your christmas tree impressed me in old good times. Have you programmed more pictures/demos/intros like this one?

Thanks. The only other decent demo I can recall is the Tron Recognizer wire-frame animation for the Axlon RAMDisk I posted here a few months ago (look left). I did a few pictures/intros for PDI when I worked for them. The ones I recall were Franglais, Mathwise, and Wordwise.

Wow - that was one of my first BBS downloads at a glorious 300 baud back in 87. I never knew it let you play cassettes.

I worked in a little computer shop in East Lansing and ran the tree on their demo 800 over the Christmas season. I recall playing a cassette with Alvin and the Chipmunks' Christmas music.

Awesome. I always loved this demo. I did not know that it turned on the Recorder. I will have to let this run over the holidays... Maybe in one of the front windows! :)

Also, I am looking to see if anyone wants to create a character set for use with an Antic Mode 4 screen that has 3x3 char icons showing xmas items, like a wreath, candy cane, present, star, whatever... It is for the demo, let me know...

BTW: December 2007

Hmm,

this demo reminds me of an old Antic or Analog (?) demo-construction set - one could use a Gr. 15 picture, a text-scroller and a pre-written music (not sure about that one) to create such a demo. The results were ML files with 83 sectors in length each, think I have a disk in my collection that has 4, 5 or 6 such demos on it (two with a christmas tree, one with a snowman, one with snoopy and maybe some more). Afaik this demo-collection was also in the Bellcom library... -Andreas Koch.

this demo reminds me of an old Antic or Analog (?) demo-construction set

Never heard of it.

This was done all by hand on my 400. I wrote a BASIC joystick drawing program to make the tree image in ANTIC mode E. The snowflakes are Missiles, sliced up by DLIs. The colored bulbs are Players showing (rather imperfectly) through holes in the tree Playfield. The init, DLI, VBI, and scrolling routines were coded with the Atari Assembler/Editor cart. Finally I pasted all the parts into a cassette boot file (had no disk drive back then).

Edited by ClausB

I think it's best to start pushing now.

Last year, I rushed my one at the last minute - it's all of about 4 hours work.

Given more time, people will produce more quality and quantity.

OK, then it may be...

Although I have massive problems with my WinPC let´s start this "contest" NOW!

Everyone who wants is invited to contribute.

Send your entry until end of december 31st to my email address or post it to the topic I will start now.

nyd2009ATppsberlinPUNKTde - you know what to do with that ;)

Edited by pps