IGNORED

HSC Season 6 Week 12: Lock 'n' Chase

Ze_ro

It's your call man, but I play this game and all I can see are the compromises. You can only set doors horizontally... dare to drop one elsewhere and a door appears at a random location nowhere near where you were standing. The sound effects are a disaster; they're every bit as primitive as the ones in Pac-Man. The graphics are so vanilla that they could only have been designed by M-Network. Sure, there's absolutely no flicker, but the underlying game is so lackluster that it's not much of a consolation.

I think I figured out the placement of doors. It seems to appear wherever the last horzontal section of the maze you traveled through. So, if you went through a horizontal section, then traveled far to the left or right, and pressed the button it would be placed far away.

My favorite Pac-Man like game on the 2600 is Lady Bug. Jr. Pac-Man and Ms. Pac-Man are fun too. Also, I've been playing a bit of Alien recently. Not bad but not as good as the others. Anybody else care to list their fav in the "dot-eater" genre?

You can only set doors horizontally... dare to drop one elsewhere and a door appears at a random location nowhere near where you were standing.

OK, that's just being lazy. Similar to what toymailman said, it's not random. It happens at the last place you moved through where a door could be closed. It's like you have remote control power over the last door location you moved through.

The sounds are a bit rough, but they still sound pretty cool to me (on a real Atari 2600 anyway). I never played the arcade version or any other version, so I wasn't expecting anything. Although I read the manual, I always thought of the cops as robots. You're stealing treasure in a futuristic place patrolled by robots.

This game isn't too bad... we've certainly played worse... it has everything... decent control and collision detection and no flicker... what more does one need? :ponder: ;)

How about a better balanced difficulty? With the left difficulty switch set to A it's frustrating, with the left difficulty switch set to B it's boring.

But i have to agree with you that we've played worse... like Double Dragon or Name This Game... Blech! :woozy:

Wow! Not only is Deteacher leading... he gets to enter TWO scores! :D

This game isn't too bad... we've certainly played worse... it has everything... decent control and collision detection and no flicker... what more does one need? :ponder: ;)

How about a better balanced difficulty? With the left difficulty switch set to A it's frustrating, with the left difficulty switch set to B it's boring.

But i have to agree with you that we've played worse... like Double Dragon or Name This Game... Blech! :woozy:

Yeah, at the very least it could use a difficulty ramp up... a little more innovation couldn't hurt it either. :)

Yeah, at the very least it could use a difficulty ramp up... a little more innovation couldn't hurt it either. :)

If you play it set to B, they start out slow on the first screen, but if you pay attention, you'll see that they are a bit faster on the next screen. Not A faster, but faster than the first screen. If you play more than one screen set to B, it's not boring if you try to get both treasures and trap a cop on each screen.

It's just too darn fast for me set to A. I get too distracted by other things to stay alive for long. Just give me good old B difficulty and I'm happy. Telling those who haven't played it before (or haven't played it that much) to play it set to A is pretty much setting them up to hate the game.

Edited by Random Terrain

If you play it set to B, they start out slow on the first screen, but if you pay attention, you'll see that they are a bit faster on the next screen. Not A faster, but faster than the first screen. If you play more than one screen set to B, it's not boring if you try to get both treasures and trap a cop on each screen.

It's just too darn fast for me set to A. I get too distracted by other things to stay alive for long. Just give me good old B difficulty and I'm happy. Telling those who haven't played it before (or haven't played it that much) to play it set to A is pretty much setting them up to hate the game.

Oh, ok... I haven't played it at all on B. I don't hate the game playing it on A, but I do use the Reset button a lot. :)

post-9504-1227678007_thumb.png

I know I could keep trying for another 20 minutes but I'd rather put my face in a blender. I've played this game for about 4 hours this last week.... 15 minutes at a time because at that point I had started to scream at the computer and that is a great sign that it's time to quit. Maybe it's just the Gamecube controller I'm forced to use at the moment but I swear when I push left the thief moves left 80% of the time. Same with every other direction. I may give this a try on diff B after reading the couple of posts above but my current opinion of this game is :thumbsdown: :mad: