IGNORED

eBay Traffic Plummeting

phaxda

I agree that everything is WAY down from last year.

The new rules are just terrible.

I got a 'nuetral' feedback because the USPS took 10 days to deliver something Parcel Post.

I mailed the item to her the day she paid. E-mailed the tracking number on the same day.

I have also had more 'non paying bidders' than ever before.

I hear the fat lady warming up her vocal chords in the distance.

The bad news is that all my sales have been quite a bit lower than last year.

I mainly sell in November.

The good news is, I am getting deals on lots of holes in my collection!

I have rarely used Ebay after all the new BS has happened. When I did I sold 2 items for over $100 and neither winner (both had under 3 feedback) paid me. I am no power seller but my hundred or so sales per year will be missed if others like me follow. I don't need money from Ebay sales. I do it because it is fun and it gives me a great market for stuff I no longer want. If there was no more Ebay I would be just fine and wouldn't loose one minute of sleep.

I got a 'nuetral' feedback because the USPS took 10 days to deliver something Parcel Post.

I mailed the item to her the day she paid. E-mailed the tracking number on the same day.

I hear ya.

Although I've luckily avoided any neutrals or negs (knock wood), I'm still a little confused by my 4.8 shipping & handling price rating 'cuz all I do is weigh the box and round up to the nearest dollar. So $4.80 becomes $5.00, $7.70 becomes $8.00, etc. In other words, for multiple game orders, I never charge more than 50 cents for "handling" (and if the weight hovers right on a price-changing ounce line, I always give the customer the benefit of the doubt and quote them the lower price. For single carts, I charge $2.50, which is lower than nearly everyone else on eBay, still under a dollar in "handling" fees and has to cover the cost of the not-free-like-Priority-Mail-boxes bubble mailer.) So who the hell is giving me anything less than a 5 for that and what the heck do they expect? I know it ultimately matters little (4.8 is pretty damn good, after all) but seriously, what is the expectation of buyers? Completely free shipping? Isn't my time worth something, even if it's only a few dimes and nickels?

There's just no pleasing some people, and the new feedback system makes it ever so much easier for jerks to voice their unfounded discontent.

What everyone seems to be missing is that it's buyers that have been scared away. There were WAY too many scammers and dishonest sellers. Ebay went too batshit this is true. I wouldn't want to try and sell again on ebay. Then again, looking at some of the attitudes of some of the sellers (none so far have posted in this thread, but plenty of the offenders are AA members to be sure), it's not surprising Ebay had to take drastic steps. Every move they made really was to benefit buyers. The feedback change was clearly a plus, as was the movement to paypal only - (really besides kids who can't get a credit card and stubborn protesters what buyer wouldn't use paypal?)

I feel for the handful of honest sellers (and buyers for that matter) that played by the rules. Unfortunately they were largely outnumbered.

What everyone seems to be missing is that it's buyers that have been scared away. There were WAY too many scammers and dishonest sellers. Ebay went too batshit this is true. I wouldn't want to try and sell again on ebay. Then again, looking at some of the attitudes of some of the sellers (none so far have posted in this thread, but plenty of the offenders are AA members to be sure), it's not surprising Ebay had to take drastic steps. Every move they made really was to benefit buyers. The feedback change was clearly a plus, as was the movement to paypal only - (really besides kids who can't get a credit card and stubborn protesters what buyer wouldn't use paypal?)

I feel for the handful of honest sellers (and buyers for that matter) that played by the rules. Unfortunately they were largely outnumbered.

Lets not forget about the scamming buyers either. We lost $125.00 worth of games and the $15 to ship it to canada. The buyer filed a complaint with paypal and got there money back, and we got 10 negs from the buyer. I shipped the item we have a receipt proving it was sent all faxed to paypal and still lost. Seller protection my butt. Plus lost all the ebay listing fees and final value fees. Total lost around $150 cash + 10 SNES games. You think buyers are the only ones that are scarred away? I pulled all of our listings. 15% fvf for what a couple servers and a website give me a break. We have 4100 + 2300 + this year 4 neutrals and 12 negs (10 from that one guy) Now selling on CTCW and loving it.

Not meaning to offend just giving my opinion on it

Edited by pats1717

Lets not forget about the scamming buyers either. We lost $125.00 worth of games and the $15 to ship it to canada. The buyer filed a complaint with paypal and got there money back, and we got 10 negs from the buyer. I shipped the item we have a receipt proving it was sent all faxed to paypal and still lost. Seller protection my butt. Plus lost all the ebay listing fees and final value fees. Total lost around $150 cash + 10 SNES games. You think buyers are the only ones that are scarred away? I pulled all of our listings. 15% fvf for what a couple servers and a website give me a break. We have 4100 + 2300 + this year 4 neutrals and 12 negs (10 from that one guy) Now selling on CTCW and loving it.

Not meaning to offend just giving my opinion on it

No offense taken. I know there's a buttload of bad buyers as well.

Their feedback system is complete crap. It's a broken system and needs to be changed back..

The DSRs are crap too. A 5 point system where if you drop to 4 you are banned. It's all based on blind ratings, but how do you raise if you don't sell often enough? Wait out a rolling calender year for the 1-2 low scores to drop?? Complete and utter BS.

Paypal only is a joke. I just read this recently, money orders are not acceptable forms of payment anymore. Neither is Google checkout or any other online forms of payments. Too much competition I guess.

What happened is eBay changes rules that pissed off good sellers. eBay was trying to protect buyers, but now has attracted the worst kind of buyers that will squeeze the most out of the remaining good sellers. Those sellers will leave.

Good buyers will be burned by the remaining sellers. Noticing that eBay will not help them, these buyers will leave.

Then all you have left is bad buyers and bad sellers. The vicious cycle feeds on itself.

If you read the comments at the end of the article the general thread was that the new restrictive rules on sellers were the actual cause of ebay's decline. I am sure that as one of the offending buyers you probably see that differently, however the fact remains that there were too many dishonest buyers and the feedback changes compounded the problem with bad buyers. There are probably a few decent buyer but since the changes I have seen a rapid increase in dishonest as well as non paying buyers. Wholesale gives me less but I don't have to deal with the dishonest buyers so it's ok by me. Kind of a drag though for the Atari hobby as ebay has been hard on sellers, there seems to be much less out there to buy..Why would they bother..

Edited by atarian63

Personally I love eBay. :) I've always enjoyed buying and selling there. I find it exciting and rarely have had a problem. I have over 300 feedback at 100% positive. You can find pretty much any game you need on eBay. It's not hard to shop smartly. There are a hell of a lot of "eBay STORE" sellers that are trying to rip people off though... Insanely priced games etc. But then there are also a lot of good people not trying to make a living off of their videogames and sell at reasonable prices.

The eBay fees aren't too bad as long as you are smart about them. I dunno, so many of you bash eBay. I can't help but wonder if it's a sort of bandwagon effect though. Almost like it's cool for a lot of the "hardcore" gamers/sellers to bash ebay these days... I go to chase the chuck wagon and the selection is just puny compared to ebay. And I see no benefit at all for someone looking to buy games on the chuck wagon compared to ebay. Maybe the chuckwagon benefits sellers a bit more by not charging listing fees. But I dunno... ebay has some problems, I just think it's not near as bad as a lot of you are talking.

And yes the United States economy is in DEEP shit. That's is why traffic is down. The American public is getting screwed over by all of the other big businesses and can't afford the luxury of spending "extra" cash on ebay for their hobbies etc.

I dunno, so many of you bash eBay. I can't help but wonder if it's a sort of bandwagon effect though. Almost like it's cool for a lot of the "hardcore" gamers/sellers to bash ebay these days...

Nicely put. :thumbsup: More hardcore sellers though...they outnumber buyers here easily 2 to 1.

I dunno, so many of you bash eBay. I can't help but wonder if it's a sort of bandwagon effect though. Almost like it's cool for a lot of the "hardcore" gamers/sellers to bash ebay these days...

Nicely put. :thumbsup: More hardcore sellers though...they outnumber buyers here easily 2 to 1.

Thanks. :) Ya I guess that makes sense. There are a lot of people trying to sell stuff at Atari Age..

Yet the decline seems to have happened AFTER these new rules were put in place.

Edited by Buyatari

I would think a recession (which we are not officially in yet) would actually help Ebay. People with little cash looking for bargains...

:o How are we not in a recession yet!? Seems to me like we've been in one for well over a year now. You do have a point about the bargains though. Surely not as many people are bidding on eBay auctions these days, I've been noticing...

Back when I used to sell on eBay, I felt it was the website for the little guy to make an extra buck here and there (I always wonder how people made a living selling on eBay) Anyways, I think they lost touch with the huge small seller they had. eBay should go back to what it was back in 98-99.