IGNORED

What classic arcade games came out for NES?

I've played ROMs of all 3 and there are only subtle differences between the sunsoft/tengen versions, "After Burner II" (which may have been famicom only) has the "fire" and explosion voice samples like the MD AB II.

This basically says the same thing as CRV. By "Sunsoft", he means the JP Famicom version (and there is no Sunsoft NES version). "Some improvements" is referring to the voice/sound samples and improved graphics in the JP Sunsoft Famicom AB. Anyway, the point is that the US AB is still based on After Burner II (still has select for the afterburners) and that, despite improvements to the JP version, both versions are similar.

Edited by BrianC

SUPER MARIO BROS.

Um news flash! Super mario bros. is NOT and arcade game you are thinking of Mario Bros. which has been mentioned previously. :roll:

-Darren-

NEWSFLASH! It was an arcade game! I used play it in an arcade at an amusement park in 1987! :roll:

open mouth, insert foot.

supma.jpg

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2605754188661?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=260575418866&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Um news flash! Super mario bros. is NOT and arcade game you are thinking of Mario Bros. which has been mentioned previously. :roll:

-Darren-

Darren,You are wrong. I back up CARTRIDGE STEALER's statement about Super Mario Bros. being an arcade game.

Super Mario Bros was an arcade game, but it was released after Super Mario Bros. was released on the Nes. My younger brother and I played Super Mario Bros. as an arcade game back around 1988 matter of fact. My younger brother and I played it at a Pizza Hut. Some Pizza Huts at the time a small amount of arcade cabinets.

I played the arcade version of Super Mario Bros. in 1988 because I remembered my parents telling my younger brother and I play an arcade game while our pizza was being made.

Edited by 8th lutz

Many of Nintendo's early NES/Famicom games were converted to arcade format in their VS. cabinets. Here is a list of some of them:

Vs. 10-Yard Fight

Vs. Baseball

Vs. Balloon Fight

Vs. Battle City

Vs. Castlevania

Vs. Clu Clu Land

Vs. Donkey Kong 3

Vs. Dr. Mario

Vs. Duck Hunt

Vs. Excitebike

Vs. Golf

Vs. Gumshoe

Vs. Hogan's Alley

Vs. Ice Climber

Vs. Mach Rider

Vs. Mahjong

Vs. Pinball

Vs. Pac-Man

Vs. Platoon

Vs. Punchout!

Vs. Slalom

Vs. Super Sky Kid Deluxe

Vs. Soccer

Vs. Stroke and Match Golf (released in "Men's" and "Women's" versions)

Vs. Super Mario Bros.

Vs. Tennis

Vs. T.K.O. Boxing

Vs. Top Gun

Vs. Urban Champion

Vs. Volleyball

Vs. Wrecking Crew

Vs. The Goonies

Vs. Atari RBI Baseball

Vs. Freedom Force

Vs. Gradius

Vs. Ladies Golf

Vs. Mighty Bomb Jack

Vs. Ninja Jajamaru Kun

Vs. Star Luster

Vs. Super Xevious: GAMP no Nazo

Vs. Tetris

Vs. Salamander 2

There's also the PlayChoice 10 arcade systems, which actually use NES hardware with a modified PPU with RGB output for arcade monitors. The vs games use different hardware. (at least VS SMB)

Anyway, some people in a discussion on Sega-16 a while ago though the arcade game might have apeared before the NES version was released, or maybe just before the NES was launched nationwide and got the SMB pack-in in mid '86. (mentions playing it in a 7-11 a LOT a few months before seeing any NES advertisements for Super Mario Bros.)

-Darren-

Darren,You are wrong. I back up CARTRIDGE STEALER's statement about Super Mario Bros. being an arcade game.

Super Mario Bros was an arcade game, but it was released after Super Mario Bros. was released on the Nes. My younger brother and I played Super Mario Bros. as an arcade game back around 1988 matter of fact. My younger brother and I played it at a Pizza Hut. Some Pizza Huts at the time a small amount of arcade cabinets.

I played the arcade version of Super Mario Bros. in 1988 because I remembered my parents telling my younger brother and I play an arcade game while our pizza was being made.

yup....your exactly right. it was after the nes's debut. I actually was quite good at the arcade version because of the nes's version.

Just to be thorough, what's known as Kung Fu on the NES was called Kung Fu Master in the arcades, and on every other system the game was ported to (including the 2600).

There is also the Famicom-only release of Choplifter, though if I remember correctly it was based on the original single-level computer game, not the multi-level arcade game that came later.

Kung Fu Master was originally named Spartan X in Japan. The Famicom Choplifter, oddly enough, is based on the Sega arcade game, rather than the computer game.

I stand clarified and corrected. I even own Choplifter for the Famicom, but I haven't played it that much... yet!

-Darren-

Yeah, id have to say SMB does not count since it was on the NES first, and a series of "VS" arcade were made from popular NES games.

BTW, I miss when Pizza Hut had arcade machines!! Haha, I remember going there to redeem my bookit club personal pan pizza and play me some Mortal Kombat when I was in school.

So is Vs SMB the same game. like the Play Choice 10s? I'd assume it's not different or upgraded or something.

I am totally surprised that I haven't heard about this before now

Vs. SMB is not the exact same game as the NES SMB1 or the playchoice 10 SMB. It's similar, but it's harder than the NES version with some level differences, 200 coins for a 1up, and one of the levels replaced by a level from SMB2J aka Lost Levels.

So is Vs SMB the same game. like the Play Choice 10s? I'd assume it's not different or upgraded or something.

Vs. SMB is not the exact same game as the NES SMB1 or the playchoice 10 SMB. It's similar, but it's harder than the NES version with some level differences, 200 coins for a 1up, and one of the levels replaced by a level from SMB2J aka Lost Levels.

And that's different from most Arcade ports to consoles vs real arcade versions how?

Many home ports tend to be somewhat, or at least slightly easier in some respects than the Arcade originals (or have easier difficulty settings), and significant alterations compared to the arcade.

-Darren-

Yeah, id have to say SMB does not count since it was on the NES first, and a series of "VS" arcade were made from popular NES games.

BTW, I miss when Pizza Hut had arcade machines!! Haha, I remember going there to redeem my bookit club personal pan pizza and play me some Mortal Kombat when I was in school.

We dont know. there was a debate on which came out first, and it was never resolved. it may have come out after the NES or before. but nevertheless, it was an arcade game.

Vs. Super Mario Bros. (also known in promotional materials as Vs. Mario's Adventure), is nearly a separate game in its own right. This game, one of several games made for Nintendo's NES-based arcade cabinet, the Nintendo Vs. Unisystem (and its variant, the Nintendo Vs. Dualsystem), is based on Super Mario Bros., and has identical gameplay. The stages, however, are different; the early stages are subtly different, with small differences like the omission of 1-up mushrooms or other hidden items, narrower platforms and more dangerous enemies, but later stages are changed entirely. These changes have a net effect of making Vs. Super Mario Bros. much more difficult than the original Super Mario Bros. Many of these later, changed stages reappeared in the Japanese Super Mario Bros. 2.

And that's different from most Arcade ports to consoles vs real arcade versions how?

It was said in multiple posts from multiple posters that Vs. Super Mario Bros from 1986 was ported to the arcade (and it came out after SMB and either after or around the same time as SMB2J), so I don't see a point in asking this now. Why does it have to be different anyway? It was asked if Vs. SMB was the same game as the NES and Playchoice versions of the game, not if it was different from most arcade ports to consoles. As far as I know, the Playchoice version is the same as the NES one and doesn't have the differences in Vs. SMB.

Many home ports tend to be somewhat, or at least slightly easier in some respects than the Arcade originals (or have easier difficulty settings), and significant alterations compared to the arcade.

I don't see how this even matters, or how the conclusion was made that this was not known. Important differences like level differences (which includes the smaller platforms and subtle level changes), 200 coins, and the level replaced by a Lost Levels level were mentioned and since, the NES and, as far as I know, the Playchoice don't have this.

We dont know. (about the arcade release of Vs. Super Mario Bros)

Multiple sites list a 1986 date for Vs. SMB. SMB FC/NES was first released in 1985, so it's clear that the NES game came out first.

Edited by BrianC

It was said in multiple posts from multiple posters that Vs. Super Mario Bros from 1986 was ported to the arcade (and it came out after SMB and either after or around the same time as SMB2J), so I don't see a point in asking this now. Why does it have to be different anyway? It was asked if Vs. SMB was the same game as the NES and Playchoice versions of the game, not if it was different from most arcade ports to consoles. As far as I know, the Playchoice version is the same as the NES one and doesn't have the differences in Vs. SMB.

I don't see how this even matters, or how the conclusion was made that this was not known. Important differences like level differences (which includes the smaller platforms and subtle level changes), 200 coins, and the level replaced by a Lost Levels level were mentioned and since, the NES and, as far as I know, the Playchoice don't have this.

We dont know. (about the arcade release of Vs. Super Mario Bros)

Multiple sites list a 1986 date for Vs. SMB. SMB FC/NES was first released in 1985, so it's clear that the NES game came out first.

in the desription i provided, it does say there are differences between the nes and arcade ports.

in the desription i provided, it does say there are differences between the nes and arcade ports.

I think you misread. I was restating the differences that I mentioned before (that I purposely mentioned without specifics) in reply to another poster. I'm well aware of the differences.

well, the best way to resolve this is to get a screen shot of the original opening screen with the copyright date on it.

Or you could just look up sites like KLOV or Google and search for screens, so this wouldn't need to be resolved. If you did that before, you would know that it has a copyright date of 1986.

Edited by BrianC

I think you misread. I was restating the differences that I mentioned before (that I purposely mentioned without specifics) in reply to another poster. I'm well aware of the differences.

well, the best way to resolve this is to get a screen shot of the original opening screen with the copyright date on it.

Or you could just look up sites like KLOV or Google and search for screens, so this wouldn't need to be resolved. If you did that before, you would know that it has a copyright date of 1986.

things that make you go hmmmmmmm!

Yep, I know the copyright on the Vs game is later than the famicom game, however, I still wonder when the Vs arcade machine was introduced in the US compared to the release of SMB as well as the release of the bundled NES+SMB. (I'm not sure if that coincided with the SMB release, or came after -I think SMB may have predated the NES's nationwide launch, and the latter coincided with the bundle)

It's clear the famicom release predated the JP arcade release, but if the Arcade machine was carried over quickly, it could have beaten SMB to the NES.

Yep, I know the copyright on the Vs game is later than the famicom game, however, I still wonder when the Vs arcade machine was introduced in the US compared to the release of SMB as well as the release of the bundled NES+SMB. (I'm not sure if that coincided with the SMB release, or came after -I think SMB may have predated the NES's nationwide launch, and the latter coincided with the bundle)

It's clear the famicom release predated the JP arcade release, but if the Arcade machine was carried over quickly, it could have beaten SMB to the NES.

A couple places list SMB NES as coming out in the US in October 1985 (which I found listed at IGN and Gamefaqs and I encourage looking things up. I don't see why it should be an absolute requirement to have links in every post, even though it is a good thing to include). As far as I know, the NES game came first as well. The harder thing to find out is whether or not SMB2J came first, which came out in 1986, shares a couple levels with Vs. SMB, and even has the same ending.

Edited by BrianC

Yes, but SMB didn't make it to the US until spring of '86. (I'm not sure if it came beofr, after, or coinsided with the nation-wide NES launch)

Do you have a source? Most sources say October 1985 for the US SMB release, and wikipedia isn't always reliable (the source that says before Spring 1986). I remember late 1985, though my memory could be a bit foggy. Anyway, without proof, this is just the same things being said as said before. Whether or not the original SMB was released before the arcade in the US first (which seems to be the case), the original SMB was still released before the initial Vs. SMB release.

Edited by BrianC

From what I understand that's a common misconception which had bled over onto some nintendo's own websites...

I recall that date mostly from discussions with Curt and Marty (wgungfu) on the subject. (both prominent historians active on this site if you don't know that already) -Both active editors on wiki, of course.

I'm not sure what books like "Game Over" or similar gaming history books list though...

The later release is a big factor for the NES not being very successful until mid '86, if it did indeed predate the full launch, I'd immagine the positive response due to that game probably spurred the nation-wide launch. ('85 saw only the NY test, followed by several other point releases in early '86 -starting with California iirc)