IGNORED

Can putting a C64 cart in an Intellivision II system Kill the system?

Phantom

I put a C64 Multicart in my INTV II system and now it wont power on and it appears to be the system not the AC. Anyone do a similar stupid thing like this before?

Any help is appreciated. I wish I would have searched for info on the cart before I tried it.

I assumed it was INTV. Its the Arcade Classic Pak and its pictured on the bottom left of this pic.

Link to pic

Any help and suggestions of how to get this Intellivision II system working again is much appreciated.

It might be possible if you shorted some of the pins in ways they weren't meant to, which is certainly possible with a foreign cart. IIRC the INTV has a particularly weird cart port setup.

What a horrible mistake. I cant believe they made the cart so similar in size. A lil bigger or smaller would have been great. Thats one costly lot of games now and Im now pissed I ever decided to collect PAL Atari Carts! That had to be in that lot? I couldnt do a search to see what system it was for but if it didnt look so much like a INTV cart, Damn! I am so pissed right now! Way to ruin my day.

Thanks for the help & input Chris.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=131751

In a nut shell, plugging a C64 cart into an intellivision will short the +5 vdc directly to ground.

On the C64 cart, the 4 corners (pins 1/A/22/Z) are tied to ground. On the Intellivision, 3 of the corner pins (1/2/44) are ground, and the last corner pin (43) is +5 VDC.

Is there any fuses internal to the Intellivision or it's PS? I know there are a bunch of jumpers on the mainboard between all the power leads, but I wouldn't think they would fry.

I don't see any reason it would cause circuit damage internal to the system since power is being shorted to ground, but then I know the intellivision has a complicated multi voltage power system and I honestly have no idea how the rest of the system would react to a dead short across only part of the voltages. :ponder:

Edited by Artlover

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=131751

In a nut shell, plugging a C64 cart into an intellivision will short the +5 vdc directly to ground.

On the C64 cart, the 4 corners (pins 1/A/22/Z) are tied to ground. On the Intellivision, 3 of the corner pins (1/2/44) are ground, and the last corner pin (43) is +5 VDC.

Is there any fuses internal to the Intellivision or it's PS? I know there are a bunch of jumpers on the mainboard between all the power leads, but I wouldn't think they would fry.

I don't see any reason it would cause circuit damage internal to the system since power is being shorted to ground, but then I know the intellivision has a complicated multi voltage power system and I honestly have no idea how the rest of the system would react to a dead short across only part of the voltages. :ponder:

Thanks for the help so does this mean its the AC? Or Something on the system board because that I have no chance of fixing. I am illequiped to fix much of anything, especially electronics. Hopefully this means its the AC and I tried a Multi adaptor AC but maybe I had that wrong as well.

I'll never just guess at a cart again like this! Thanks for all the help gang. :|

It's probably fixable. Thought I've never worked with an Inty before, just reading what's posted says a blown "fuse" somewhere. They might have used a resistor or something instead of a fuse, or it could have ruined a voltage regulator. I'd bet if one opens the console and/or the power supply they'd probably see right off if a fuse or resistor is burnt. If not, someone with component level skills could probably trace the +5V line out.

EDIT: I must have Atari colored glasses, as all I could see in that auction were VCS games.

Edited by shadow460

It's probably fixable. Thought I've never worked with an Inty before, just reading what's posted says a blown "fuse" somewhere. They might have used a resistor or something instead of a fuse, or it could have ruined a voltage regulator. I'd bet if one opens the console and/or the power supply they'd probably see right off if a fuse or resistor is burnt. If not, someone with component level skills could probably trace the +5V line out.

EDIT: I must have Atari colored glasses, as all I could see in that auction were VCS games.

First one bottom left corner. Arcade Pak

If you can confirm that your AC adapter is still working I probably have an Intellivision II I can send you for the cost of shipping. PM me if you're interested.

y-bot

Thank you SOOOOOOOOOO MUCH Again Toby!

You made my weekend and made me feel a reprieve for such a dumb mistake!

I owe you! Cheers -Ant :) :) :)