IGNORED

Compatibilty between Atari 8-bit models?

Sdw

I'm a bit confused - are all 8-bit Ataris equal in features (graphics, sound)?

So a 400XL from 1979 has the same features as a 130XE from the mid-80ies (ignoring memory size)?

Basically yes, although the 1979 400 (there is no 400xl) may have the CTIA graphics chip instead of the newer GTIA.

Always there are minor changes between models. But, taking only consideration on gameplay we have:

December 1978

------------------

Atari 400 8K - Atari 800 16K

Both implemented with temporary graphic chip CTIA, meanwhile GTIA was finishing.

------

Atari 400 16K - Atari 800 48K -> Both implemented with GTIA chip

With replaced GTIA chip, the Atari add 3 new graphic modes called GTIA modes and in these modes is capable to reach 256 colors instead 128.

------

Atari 1200XL 64K - Atari 800XL 64K - 600XL 16K - 1450XL 64K

Sound from internal speaker ("the 5th channel") was added to the sound line on TV.

Joystick ports was reduced from 4 to 2

Built in Basic language

-----

Atari 65XE 64K - Atari 130XE 128K

130XE add 16K memory banking system.

------

Atari XEGS 64K

Build in Missile Command.

Edited by Allas

Thank you Allas, that was a comprehensive report!

So there was a bit of difference between the very first models, good to know. Now I will be looking for a computer with GTIA chip (and preferably expanded to 64kb or more) but the model isn't really that important.

However I recall reading something about some specific European models (I'm in Sweden, so I'm looking for PAL models) came with a faulty chip?

The best model is Atari 130XE. But is hard to find one.

More easy and cheaper will be a 800XL and work with 85% of software.

I think the Atari 800XE have those problems with GTIA chip. I didn't include the 800XE on the list before.

Edited by Allas

I think the Atari 800XE have those problems with GTIA chip. I didn't include the 800XE on the list before.

I'm getting one of those this week. I already have an XEGS. I'm mostly a cartridge collector, not really into disks. Are there carts that won't play on an 800XL?

Yes, I would second the 130XE as the model to own. Many prefer the XL range for it's styling and in the earlier XLs', the build quality too. A lot of the 800XE's sold in Eastern Europe had the bad GTIA but not all.

Be aware however that the RAM used in the XE's (and the later XL's) were not great quality and a lot failed. So the RAM will most often need to be replaced when you pick one up. There's many threads here with regard to this but basically you can replace the RAM with 41256's which can be bought new easily and can just be swapped over like for like. The old RAM will need to be desoldered and it's recommend to install sockets to make things easier in the future. The sockets are just a few cents so it makes sense. With a small mod you can increase the RAM size using these 41256's too so you'll benefit from stability and expansion together.

A lot of the 65XE's have the 130XE motherboard and just require the Freddie to be added with the RAM to bring them back to a 130XE, they can often be found for sale moreso than 130XE's.

Edited by Tezz

------

Atari 1200XL 64K - Atari 800XL 64K - 600XL 16K - 1450XL 64K

Sound from internal speaker ("the 5th channel") was added to the sound line on TV.

Joystick ports was reduced from 4 to 2

Built in Basic language

The 1200XL does not have built-in BASIC. It requires the use of a BASIC cartridge (just like the 400 and 800 do).

For what it's worth, I actually prefer this to holding down the Option key to disable BASIC.

I'm getting one of those this week. I already have an XEGS. I'm mostly a cartridge collector, not really into disks. Are there carts that won't play on an 800XL?

There are some carts/discs/tapes that will only work on a 400/800

http://www.atarimania.com/faq.php?p=67

Also I can't get BC's Quest for tyres to work on my XLs unless I switch to 800 mode with my 32-in-1 OS.

However most games have been cracked to work on an XL/XE (well the disc versions at least)

Also I can't get BC's Quest for tyres to work on my XLs unless I switch to 800 mode with my 32-in-1 OS.

However most games have been cracked to work on an XL/XE (well the disc versions at least)

Thanks. It mentions Ms pacman not working on XE/XEGS but my mspacman cart works just fine on my XEGS.

Thanks. It mentions Ms pacman not working on XE/XEGS but my mspacman cart works just fine on my XEGS.

Yes, this list is not entirely correct. "Shamus" e.g. works if you push "SELECT" when switching the computer on.

Thorsten

Well,

my original BC Quest for Tires cart. works very well in my PAL 800XL (with 576k RAM). Maybe you are using an old cracked file version - one that was cracked on the 800 and then was 800 only ?!? I had lots of such pirate versions that were 800 only, due to the fact, the programs were cracked on the 800 (while the original programs worked well on the XL/XE)...

-Andreas Koch.

P.S.: The faulty XE`s (65XE, 130XE and 800XE) were all "made in China" in 1991 and they have faulty GTIA`s (with GTIA modes gr. 9, 10, 11 not working correctly)... think most if not all of these XE`s were PAL versions for the eastern european market...

I'm a bit confused - are all 8-bit Ataris equal in features (graphics, sound)?

So a 400XL from 1979 has the same features as a 130XE from the mid-80ies (ignoring memory size)?

The only real difference would be the deletion of 2 joystick ports in the XL and XE

And reassigned to memory management duties. (2 leds on 1200XL)

Only other thing is the lightpen input on the 400. it is only on joystick port 4. All others have the lightpen on all joyports.

James

Wouldn't it be great to run NUMEN demo, or other high quality demo, on a 400...

I remembered the first time I saw numen on my 320KB XE and I loved it...

but i remembered the day I saw numen on my 600XL even better. Man... the older and 'smaller' the original system, the cooler the effect...

Btw. I love the 600xl and 800xl most. 130XE is terrible, however I love the modern look.

Marius

P.S.: The faulty XE`s (65XE, 130XE and 800XE) were all "made in China" in 1991 and they have faulty GTIA`s (with GTIA modes gr. 9, 10, 11 not working correctly)... think most if not all of these XE`s were PAL versions for the eastern european market...

Is it enough to check for a "made in china" sign somewhere on the computer to spot a computer with a faulty GTIA or is there some other way to make sure...?

Right now I have a couple of computers that I'm considering putting a bid on, and I'd want to have something that I can ask the seller to make sure it is a correct GTIA without him having to do the whole "hook computer up => download demo that use GTIA => transfer to Atari => test run"-deal.