IGNORED

Sikor Soft's unfinished game Mr. Proper

IndusGT

I was wondering if the Sikor Soft folks lurking here are thinking of finishing Mr. Proper. There still seems to be a market for limited editions/cartridges at least judging for what some of the Hobgloblin stuff went for. For those that don't know, there are still shots and a demo downloadable from:

http://sikorsoft.internetdsl.pl/atari/mrproper.html

It's similar to Rockman from Mirage with better music and control, great game . May be we can get other programmers to work on it. Fandal?

Well,

Sikor is only the publisher ! Aleksander Martin is the author of the game "Mr. Proper". Afaik, Aleksander wanted around 2000 Dollars for finishing the game. This was way too much and no-one (including Sikor Soft) wanted to pay such a high sum just to see this game completed...

On the other hand, the demo version already has 8 screens / levels, more than a lot of the old games (e.g. Kangaroo, Donkey Kong, etc. have less screens)... greetings, Andreas Koch.

Sikor is only the publisher ! Aleksander Martin is the author of the game "Mr. Proper". Afaik, Aleksander wanted around 2000 Dollars for finishing the game. This was way too much and no-one (including Sikor Soft) wanted to pay such a high sum just to see this game completed... On the other hand, the demo version already has 8 screens / levels, more than a lot of the old games (e.g. Kangaroo, Donkey Kong, etc. have less screens)... greetings, Andreas Koch.

I was talking to Aleksander Martin about Mr.Proper game long time ago, I think it was around 2005 or 2006. He explained that money couldn't convince him to finish this program, but he still thought about complete this game just for his pleasure. However, he doesn't have sources and don't want to spend too much time for reengineering or writting everything from a start point. In my opinion it means that Mr.Proper will never be finished.

I was talking to Aleksander Martin about Mr.Proper game long time ago, I think it was around 2005 or 2006. He explained that money couldn't convince him to finish this program, but he still thought about complete this game just for his pleasure. However, he doesn't have sources and don't want to spend too much time for reengineering or writting everything from a start point. In my opinion it means that Mr.Proper will never be finished.

You wrong Kaz. I don't remember of Aleksander's proposition for me, but only one problem was an astronomic cost of it. Unfortunately, Alex don't finish many projects... And, I think - he's newer finish them ;(

Do you have some code sikor, perhaps the game can be ressurected in some way, or perhaps fandal can re-engineer the code and make some more levels

No, I don't have it ;( It is only demo - so, from me is no problem, if anyone wants reingerening that. But - I think - about doing this someone can ask Alex.

Edited by Sikor

as far as finishing the game, I thought I read somewhere the final version would have color and obviously more levels. The demo is in black and white. I would be really nice if someone would finish it. Money can still be made by turning into a limited edition cartridge like Yoomp or Hobgoblin.

Okay, I'm sure this will come off as a really stupid question, but why can't I get the demo version to play? Pressing <start> or any other console key does nothing, as does the fire button... I'd love to see and play this. What am I doing wrong?

Just run it on PC with EMU and the shift key starts the game not sure if it is same on real hardware

Hello everybody :-)

As the author of this game I just wanted to explain someting.

The game was written by me a long long time ago in 1997 as far as I remember. There were a few different versions with less graphics and different engine, but I decided to rewrite everyting and made the first full graphics background game. I do have all sources and binaries on my 5.25" diskettes and I will convert them to ATR if the disks are still readable. I juest need to buy RS-2-USB converter for SIO-2-PC first :-)

I would still like to finish the game, but as some people know I have no time to do so :-( I would need to rewrite from scratch a part of game engine, make new levels, write more music etc. Maybe, if somebody could help me, I would find some time? Maybe I will give all the sources to the public?

I cannot tell you more or promise anything at the moment, but I hope to give you the answer within 4-5 weeks.

Aleksander that's great news. The game was really coming along well. I'm sure there's plenty here who can assist you to complete it or continue your work. Perhaps if you have limited free time yourself the game could be produced as a team effort and you could participate and oversee the work as part of the team. Team work has been very successsful in the past with other projects.

As I stated before money can be made off the project, almost upfront. Yoomp, Hobgoblin, Tempest Extreem are good examples. You can certainly put me down for a say 'limited' edition cartridge or whatever other format you decide as long as it's not casette hehe, I'm sure that there are other people here that would go for it as well. So far on Gr8 's webpage 50 catridges have been sold of Hobgoblin.

Hopefully more people will reply to this thread expressing interest in buying new games.

• 2 months later...

Well,

on the A8 it is the same as on the emulator, press the SHIFT key to start the game. Here is the demo-version I have, it is the same as the ones floating around - but it is compressed with Code3 cruncher (so it can be loaded from DOS) and has some short info text... -Andreas Koch.

Edited by CharlieChaplin