IGNORED

Atari Karts

Iron Draggon

This game is awesome! It's definitely one of the best games for the Jag. I can't believe I waited so long to get it! All these years that I've been passing it up, and I could've gotten it for cheap, way back in the day. Oh well, better late than never. I'm so glad I finally got it now!

It seems unusually easy for a Jaguar game though, until you get close to unlocking the Jaguar Aces challenge. Then it seems alot more difficult to win the cups, especially the Tempest Cup. That was where I kept falling short, until I used Bentley Bear to kick some ass!

So now I'm on the Jaguar Aces challenge, and that's prolly where I'll be for quite a while, if it continues getting more difficult. Those damned control reversers are what mess me up the most. It seems like every time I'm winning, I hit one and end up losing the race!

All that aside though, everything about this game is great. The graphics, music, sounds, and controls are all excellent, until one of those damned reversers forces you to go dyslexic with your steering. I wish there was a way to disable them, while keeping everything else!

Yes I agree, this is a very nice game, and I love the music!

When you collect a powerup, don't use it.

Now you can drive over different power ups/downs, without taking them.

A Pro Controller makes this game even more enjoyable, as it is easy to take corners with the fast turns, using the fingertip buttons.

Some people don't like it, but personally I think it is a great cart racer and one of my fave Jag games.

The developers really did an outstanding job with the artwork - it is really a beautiful looking game and is great for showcasing the Jag's graphic capabilities.

It'd be better if:

1. The items weren't flat on the ground

2. The items were useful

3. The opponents messed up once in a while

4. You didn't get stuck when grazing a "wall"

Here's my full review.

Yep, Merlin Racing on the Nuon seems to be where they learn from all the lessons above. Fun Fun game.

4. You didn't get stuck when grazing a "wall"

this is one of the difficulty of the game, you just have to know this!

I find this game is more like a F1-game than a Mariokart-clone, because you can win even without using the "powerups" - just driving perfectly! ;)

I'm hopping to try it with a Pro controller one day...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here is my sealed copy. I actually owned it opened also but sold that one because I didn't really care for it and they pull about $60 CIB. I really want to give it another chance, I think I can like it if I spend more time with it I just hate getting stuck on walls. This time I'll try with the pro controller though :)

post-9102-1232654885_thumb.jpg

hmm, personally I think people tend to rate Atari Karts higher than they should, because they spent good money on it... ;) Really, it IS a fun game, but there are some glaring problems with the physics... Getting stuck on walls, the Karts bouncing all over the place off each other, the course designs leave a lot to be desired. The power ups are extremely hard to control as far as getting what you want cus you can't see what you are running over, hardly. There's a lot of ridiculous obstacles in the levels. Super Mario Kart, Mario Kart 64, Crash Team Racing are all definitely better than Atari Karts. I guess I'm just spoiled by Mario Kart 64 because I got that game in 1997. I didn't get Atari Karts until 2003 or so.

On that note, I have since sold that copy of Atari Karts, but now it's the last originally released Jag cart game I need of the 44 originally released Jag carts before Atari died in early '96.. Anyone have an extra "cart only" copy of Atari Karts?! :)

I'm also the only person I know of that actually doesn't like the Pro Controller too much. :) I bought a Pro controller brand new in box. The d pad on mine was EXTREMELY stiff and hurt my thumb nearly every time i played a Jag game. I really didn't notice it making much of a difference in Atari Karts either... Not to mention, hardly any Jag games take advantage of the Pro controller. I love the original "mushy" Jag pad. :D The d-pad and buttons are nice and mushy. :P Easy on the fingers. ;)

Edited by kevincal