IGNORED

Looking for Skunkboard

Starcat

Hey folks!

I just recently heard about the skunkboard and I have to say it sounds very promising. Too bad I missed the first production run.

At this point it has become very important to me, because the usual Jag dev has become almost impossible to do lately.

My notebook with parallel port, which I used for jag dev, just died a little while ago and getting a replacement is a problem.

I am rarely in the situation of having a whole dev environment (PC Screen, TV, PC with parallel port, win9x OS and Jag with alpine) near me, and even with that it's annoying due to upload errors, upload times and room consumption.

So most of the time I already had to switch over to project tempest.

And while that worked for small hacks, it doesn't for Eerievale.

Try running a complex application with multiple uploads using project tempest. Or reloading data on the fly.

Just impossible. There is only one upload. And recompiling the project to run as simple upload is a real pain and has resulted in massive problems.

I really have to say, as neat as Project Tempest can be to code some Jag while traveling, where you have no TV, Jag and dedicated dev system next to you, it's really a problem when you care for compatibility. It's just not the same at all. What runs on PT might not run on the real jag and vice versa.

So to make things short, I am really looking for a skunkboard to be able to continue coding.

For now I can fortunately keep up development of graphics and design work, but it's of course an odd feeling not being able to test code really.

I would really appreciate it when somebody could drop me a line once another production run of the skunkboards is done.

Regards, Lars.

When I am at my parents house, I have my PAL BJL Jag and NTSC Alpine. Connected to a desktop PC with parallel port (quad core, 2GB Ram) running XP/2000.

However upload tools don't work with XP, so I have to use 2000 and due to the system speed, sending is always a problem.

Most of the time however I just don't have all that equipment next to me. (Desktop PC, Screen, TV, Jag, Alpine, all the cables and so on.)

Most of the time I just have my notebook, and that way I can only use PT.

If I had the skunkboard I could at least run it using usb and connect it to a TV. A Jag alone doesn't take much space. ;)

And of course the debug features, higher relieablity and upload speed would greatly speed up development. Also who knows, maybe the 4MB will come in handy ;-) my alpine is only 2MB.

So I am really hoping for another run :)

Edited by Starcat

I would really appreciate it when somebody could drop me a line once another production run of the skunkboards is done.

Regards, Lars.

I will be glad to let you know when Tursi announces the second run of Skunkboards, in case you don't see it right away. They will likely sell out very fast. Anything to help along the development of EerieVale!

At this point it has become very important to me, because the usual Jag dev has become almost impossible to do lately.

My notebook with parallel port, which I used for jag dev, just died a little while ago and getting a replacement is a problem.

I went through the same crap. My last computer with a parallel port is dead and so I have to use USB to develop.

Definitely PM Tursi about this. I know last time he set aside some boards for known developers. If he decides to put up the money for another run, he will set a board aside for you and any other developer who PMs him.

- KS

P.S. Tursi loves it when I speak for him. :D

Cool! :D Anything to help Starcat get farther along in the development of the Jaguar point-and-click horror adventure; EERIEVALE! - although I understand it will be a JaguarCF release... I hope SCPCD & Zero get that item completed. :)

I am not making any promises I can't keep, but the main reason I said, it would be JagCF only, is due to relieablity problems I have had with JagCD.

I will make a JagCF version when the hardware gets available, but who knows what else will happen at the end, when the game is actually finished. Only time can tell.

The concept has changed a bit and requires a lot less memory now. It's no longer myst-like (I hope nobody is disspointed). It's more like the lucas arts or sierra (gabriel knight for example) games. Which is a much better way I think.

First person games just end up being sterile and "dead", unless you have a fortune to spend on rendering photorealistic environments with lots of characters. But that's beyond anything hobby developers can do.

However, as the lucas arts games are a personal favorite of mine, I came to the conclusion, that these games are just timeless gems.

No matter if you played them ten or fifteen years ago or in another ten years, the games will always be as much fun as they used to be.

Even though graphics are old, the game remains as much fun to play. And I do think that's because of great game design and visuals that are part of the concept and not ruining the fun by looking ugly once they are outdated. It just doesn't matter, these game aren't just about visual, but gameplay.

So, no promise, but maybe just maybe it will consume less memory than originally estimated and it might open new possibilties.

With the features of the skunkboard, development would speed up for sure. hey, I could finally do proper debugging and reload data from PC on the fly to test environments. That would really rock!

hehe.

{macro}Please be patient.{/macro}

Can we borrow your macro, Tursi ? :P

Nope you need to release a small batch of product to show your product exists first and be optistmistically working on a second batch before you can use that.

Afraid you're stuck for now. :P

I patiently await the next run of Skunkboards. I can't believe I missed the first run. That is what I get for sticking to the "Modern Gaming" section of the forum almost exclusively for so long. Anyway, I will be ready to jump at a second run. I am pretty anxious to be able to work with one of these.

FWIW, I too will be ordering a Skunkboard from the next lot.

Does anybody have details about the software that performs the USB transfer from the host PC? Specifically, has it been open sourced? Failing that, are detailed specifications available?

I ask because I would much rather develop for the Jag using Xcode on Mac OS X, and doing that would be far more convenient if I could port the Skunkboard's USB drivers to Mac OS X. The alternative would be to run Windows within VMware for the sole purpose of transferring the compiled binary to the Skunkboard.

Does anybody have details about the software that performs the USB transfer from the host PC? Specifically, has it been open sourced? Failing that, are detailed specifications available?

I ask because I would much rather develop for the Jag using Xcode on Mac OS X, and doing that would be far more convenient if I could port the Skunkboard's USB drivers to Mac OS X. The alternative would be to run Windows within VMware for the sole purpose of transferring the compiled binary to the Skunkboard.

There is an FAQ here which states the availability of source for Linux. This could likely be built on OS X. My main OS is Linux and my secondary is OS X so I intend to use the Skunkboard on one of these OS's when I can get my hands on one.

Documentation and drivers are available here. There is a mention in the small changelog on that site about easier building on OS X.

There is an FAQ here which states the availability of source for Linux. This could likely be built on OS X. My main OS is Linux and my secondary is OS X so I intend to use the Skunkboard on one of these OS's when I can get my hands on one.

Documentation and drivers are available here. There is a mention in the small changelog on that site about easier building on OS X.

Thanks for the links!

That's exactly the kind of information I was looking for.

Thanks for the links!

I believe, but am not 100% sure, that belboz over at Jaguar Sector has made an OS X binary available...

Ok, I searched through the first 16 pages of the thread and found something about it: http://www.jaguarsector.com/index.php?show...st&p=258638

I'm not going any further, cause this took forever lol. You can start there and see if the binary was actually made available.

Thanks for the links!

I believe, but am not 100% sure, that belboz over at Jaguar Sector has made an OS X binary available...

Ok, I searched through the first 16 pages of the thread and found something about it: http://www.jaguarsector.com/index.php?show...st&p=258638

I'm not going any further, cause this took forever lol. You can start there and see if the binary was actually made available.

I appreciate your slogging through that. I'll happily pick up from there.

Even if the Mac OS X binary is unavailable or out-of-date, knowing that the linux source is available is probably good enough, as I could just port to OS X myself.

The current source for jcp builds fine under OSX. I have binaries for OSX for both Intel and PPC. Can't remember if anyone actually requested them.

I think there were a couple minor little changes I made to build under OSX, and Tursi rolled them into his source on his web site.