IGNORED

Lynx HSC #16 - California Games (attempt #2) - BMX

atari2600land

I tried doing this one a while back, but nobody participated. Hopefully things will be different this time. Submit your scores by Friday, January 16th somewhere near noon Pacific.

current scores:

Battlezone - 685

bohoki - 306

darthkur - 238

Edited by atari2600land

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I just bought my first Lynx and got it in the mail today. :D Been playing California Games a lot today and am already good at BMX! My highscore is 431. I didn't take a screenshot though, but hey, I'm trustworthy! I run the Jaguar HSC after all! :P

And for the heck of it, my highscores for the other 3 Cali games:

Surfing - 2525

HalfPipe - 1481 (How the heck do you gain speed!?!?!, all I could do is turn...)

FootBag - 2697

Edited by kevincal

I need some advices for this game. It's probably the one CG event I do worse at.

When I played this game (a while ago) I always stayed in the middle (track can be remebered more easily) and sometimes pressed A+B together for an extra high jump.

• 2 weeks later...
I need some advices for this game. It's probably the one CG event I do worse at.

BTW, when is the Skateboarding HSC going to be? I'm pretty good at that one, getting +30,000 each time I play.

BMX isnt really that tough, its all about hitting the back flip button at the right time. and realizing when to just press nothing at all. you can stay in the very middle most of the time, but once in a while you need to go up or down just a pixel or 2.

my best is like 900 or something, i forgot.

30k on halfpipe is pretty awesome dude! Radical! Personally my favorite is Surfing. I'm getting close to 10,000. But can't

quite do it.

EDIT: I just in fact broke the 10,000pt mark in Surfing today :-) slow day at work. haha. 10515 to be exact. took a pic and everything. Hope the Lynx HSC does surfing sometime.

Edited by lynxmatt1980

• 3 months later...

The key was mainly in succeeding to land two double forward flips, both on the two big drops. It requires a lot of luck.

The first one is easy, just ride off the edge of the first big drop without jumping (doesn't always work though).

The second one is trickier. When approaching the second big drop, press the flip button right at the last second so that you propel forward with extra speed. With a bit of luck, you will land in a spot that makes you do a double forward flip (sometimes a double back flip). Looks awesome when you do pull it off.

Edited by wixy

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Top this score fella's!

Challenge accepted! 1752

I'd like to know what the highest non-assisted BMX score ever was. That would have been cool to see. Also the highest Surfing.

I remember back in the day I had some pretty amazing routines, done at much higher speed than yours. I can't for the life of me remember my highest score though.

Also not sure how you're doing all those slow flips in the pits there at the end of the video.

I'd like to know what the highest non-assisted BMX score ever was. That would have been cool to see. Also the highest Surfing.

I remember back in the day I had some pretty amazing routines, done at much higher speed than yours. I can't for the life of me remember my highest score though.

Also not sure how you're doing all those slow flips in the pits there at the end of the video.

Abusing a glitch in the game. Pushing both A+B buttons where the track changes angles will fling you into the air. I made use of this several times in the run, specifically: (youtube time, not game time) 0:08, 0:53, 1:01, 1:09, 1:23, 1:32, 1:38, 1:49, 1:54.

I don't remember what my best non-assisted score was... It was in the 1400s at least. That was back in the day when I was a kid with infinite patience :P

Edited by loopy

Can you believe that I didn't even know about A+B? I'm so embarrassed. :(

The best place to be is right along the bottom edge of the track. I always move there right from the starting line down the first hill. If you time your flip right, so that only your back tire touches the incline, you can leverage some good speed right off the bat, *while* you are moving to the bottom of the track prior to the first pipe. If you are at the bottom of the track you won't hit any obstacles. Can you believe that after 15 years, my muscle memory still knows how to instant reset and get back into BMX the first millisecond I realize I don't have enough speed? :) Man I played BMX a lot...and I mean a *lot* back in the day.

Obviously assisted and non-assisted are different categories. I'd like to see recordings of the best runs done both ways.

The best place to be is right along the bottom edge of the track. I always move there right from the starting line down the first hill. If you time your flip right, so that only your back tire touches the incline, you can leverage some good speed right off the bat, *while* you are moving to the bottom of the track prior to the first pipe. If you are at the bottom of the track you won't hit any obstacles. Can you believe that after 15 years, my muscle memory still knows how to instant reset and get back into BMX the first millisecond I realize I don't have enough speed? :) Man I played BMX a lot...and I mean a *lot* back in the day.

Obviously assisted and non-assisted are different categories. I'd like to see recordings of the best runs done both ways.

Yeah, i didn't know their were 2 ways to play this one either.

So using A+B is assisted?

No I mean assisted as in using emulator features like save states that didn't exist in the original game. The 1752 high score above is assisted, so it doesn't really count, or rather, counts in it's own separate category.

No I mean assisted as in using emulator features like save states that didn't exist in the original game. The 1752 high score above is assisted, so it doesn't really count, or rather, counts in it's own separate category.

Ahh.. i see.

Using save states is not allowed in other HSC's and it's not allowed in this one either.

The Lynx HSC doesn't have a official rules thread.

I should add one soon. :)

And the 1,752 score was posted after the deadline anyway, so it never really counted.

Is there anywhere online that has the entire BMX track mapped out? Also, is there a list somewhere of all the moves with there point values? Or somewhere that explains how points are awarded and calculated?

Also has anyone ever tried to go off track and ride all the way down to the top or bottom of the screen to see what happens? It's hard (impossible?) to do without hitting something.

Is there anywhere online that has the entire BMX track mapped out? Also, is there a list somewhere of all the moves with there point values? Or somewhere that explains how points are awarded and calculated?

Also has anyone ever tried to go off track and ride all the way down to the top or bottom of the screen to see what happens? It's hard (impossible?) to do without hitting something.

Here's the link to the manual here on AA

I haven't found any maps yet.

http://www.atariage....areLabelID=1871

But are forward flips worth the same as backward flips?

And I also remember doing stunts like a half back flip and then hitting the edge of a cliff with the front tire which turns it back into half front flip and I land back on my wheels at high speed and then manage to do it again. How would that be scored?

Also, early on in the race I can get things like 11, 47 or 63 points...how these non-round numbers?

I think the scoring is more complex than that FAQ indicates.

We need to talk to James. :)

Does anyone know the best way to record some Lynx gameplay? I'd like to try recording some BMX runs.

Also, is there any way to program moves...like press forward, B at 11.21 seconds, press A at 23.00 seconds...etc.???

It would be interesting to try and experiment with programmed moves to see what kind of tricks can be pulled. Then you can maybe go back and try do do it manually.