IGNORED

Tempest Xtreem Now Order Page from Video 61

Kjmann

No offence but there are two questions that just instantly pop into my mind when going through all this...

1. Did you choose cartridge release ONLY on purpose as some sort of anit-piracy measure? Because apart from that it would have been much better if it could go onto a disk (and you could get some NEW packaging for it then too instead of used/2nd hand cases and cartridges etc)

2. Any reason why you didn't just go to a professional copiers and get them to make you up some classic printouts in A3 cardboard, just like a real 2600/5200/XL, with professional photoquality results for about the same cost. All you would have to do is fold and glue the boxes.

The price you are charging is just too much for all these used things making up the package but the cost isn't an issue if you just thought about this release more. Were these boxes scrounged for free? And just because you need the logic board on the carts doesn't mean you can't buy a $1 blank cart for heavens sake :D

I don't mind recycled carts at all, but the genesis cases are a bit cheesy. Still having the ability to buy today (Video61) vs limited edition cart runs like Yoomp! & Hobgoblin, I would much rather have the opportunity to own carts. When you don't check here for a few days and the entire batch is sold out, or they are down to the final few which are being ebayed, it's disappointing. I'm glad this game is available on video61.

• 3 months later...

Hey you all, been a long time since I posted anything on here. Took a break from doing Atari stuff and been working on PC projects. I still have my Pitfall type game incomplete and been working on a retro remake for Venture. I have to develop new routines for some of these games and have them fit onto a cartridge image.

One of my alternate ideals is make a 2600 Adventure like game but add more things to it. I won't do what was done with Adventure II, probably go more for a para-RPG type thing. Won't make something as big as NES Zelda. Want to keep the game play simple with the Joystick and a few keyboard commands.

• 3 months later...

Any news about a PAL release?

This Game works on Both NTSC and PAL. It checks The system to see what it is (PAL or NTSC) and adjusts accordingly.

Nice. Are there some european distributor? Preferably from Germany (I'm from Spain, but shipping costs from Germany are very good than other countries and they arrive faster).

Any news about a PAL release?

This Game works on Both NTSC and PAL. It checks The system to see what it is (PAL or NTSC) and adjusts accordingly.

Nice. Are there some european distributor? Preferably from Germany (I'm from Spain, but shipping costs from Germany are very good than other countries and they arrive faster).

The only place to buy it from is Video61 (atarisales.com)

Send an Email to lance at Video61. Here is his Email address. He ships Internationally.

video61@tcq.net

• 2 years later...

What did you guys do to KJMANN12 now??? Honestly I try not to take sides and get caught up in these arguments. I am a programmer and have better things to do with my time. I use these board to get help or gather opinions about what I am working on to help shape what the final game will look like. I don't like bashing people, if someone does not like something I am doing, I ignore him.

I have been in discussion about doing a 2nd Tempest Extreme Cartridge. Since I wrote and maintain all the source code I can try whatever I want with it. I already did some experimenting and testing to have a variable number of lanes instead of the fixed 15/16 lanes. Going to be inspired more by Typhoon 2001 which can do more lanes. Plus I found a way to pack more webs into a cartridge. I may do a few other things different. Originally I ran into space issues in the ram and vbi timing, but now I know more advance programming techniques I can probably do more with it now.

• Like 1

The Page to order Tempest Xtreem is now up on the atarisales.com (Video 61) website.

You can goto www.atarisales.com and click on the Tempest Extreme Link or you can go here:

http://members.tcq.n...1/tempest1.html

(You might have to Refresh the main page to see the link)

The Playable Demo is still available here.

http://www.freewebs....st/tempdemo.zip

Have fun. =)

That link for the demo is broken or the site is gone. Is there another place to get the demo?

What did you guys do to KJMANN12 now???

<text clipped for brevity>

I have been in discussion about doing a 2nd Tempest Extreme Cartridge. Since I wrote and maintain all the source code I can try whatever I want with it. I already did some experimenting and testing to have a variable number of lanes instead of the fixed 15/16 lanes. Going to be inspired more by Typhoon 2001 which can do more lanes. Plus I found a way to pack more webs into a cartridge. I may do a few other things different. Originally I ran into space issues in the ram and vbi timing, but now I know more advance programming techniques I can probably do more with it now.

Ah man, Petey, he probably deserved some of that, but what gets to me the most is those with no direct purchase activity with dude nevertheless jump in for the mass bash. I also read, looked like reliably, that he got bad sick.

Assuming you're whom you say you are, which I assume, I guess what you say about your source is accurate. But that does not include the music, does it?

I've admired Xtreem incredibly and from afar (looks Yoomp! level or better) but always wanted 2600/VCS driving controller support. How much for a cartridge like that? I can loan you a 2600/VCS driving controller. If you quote me a middle rather than low number, I want a piece of any additional sales of that until I get it back. You can message me if you like.

TiN[]BoX

You know, we were talking about making paddle controllers that wrapped all the way around, but figured it would have been expensive. If I am not mistaken, the 2600 driving controller reads the joystick 4 bits and not the paddle pot values. Then again, its about 30 years since I've seen one. Not sure how many of those are still around. I wonder if there is a way to patch multiple fire buttons into a paddle controller since they use one of the joystick direction bits anyway. Have 4 bits plus the joystick trigger. Possible to rig a 5 button paddle controller or 2 with 2 buttons on each.

That brings up something I am wondering Atari could have done with the XL/XE systems since they eliminated joysticks 2 and 3. Could they have patched in the Triggers 2 and 3 as second fire buttons for Joysticks 1 and 2. Would have to share leads on the motherboards between lightpen and triggers. Think the Sega Master system/ Genesis/Mega Drive uses the same pin Atari uses for one of its light pens. I hooked one into an Atari years ago. The Pen Value went from 0 to 255 when holding down the second trigger.

One day, I hope my tempest cart will work again :'(

sloopy.

What happened to your Tempest Cart?

I am doing some looking around and see if there is a less costly alternative for producing new Atari Carts. There has to be something out there, 128K is nothing in todays world. We cannot pack the cartridges to a smaller image because of the music, digital sound samples, sprite, and level data. I was lucky to get a demo working with 64K. The recent modifications I've been doing was to be able pack the web level data into a smaller space. All the other stuff still takes up the same amount. Looking to make a 2nd Tempest with more web shapes on it. Maybe tweak some of the features also.

sloopy.

I am doing some looking around and see if there is a less costly alternative for producing new Atari Carts. There has to be something out there, 128K is nothing in todays world. We cannot pack the cartridges to a smaller image because of the music, digital sound samples, sprite, and level data. I was lucky to get a demo working with 64K. The recent modifications I've been doing was to be able pack the web level data into a smaller space. All the other stuff still takes up the same amount. Looking to make a 2nd Tempest with more web shapes on it. Maybe tweak some of the features also.

The EEPROM IC died, I talked to Sal about it on irc, but never emailed him. one day i will get around to it... I know a couple people with them, and have plenty of PLCC EEPROM/FLASH's sitting around here, so I may fix it myself...

There are so many 'multi-carts' on the market, why would you need to design another? SIC! or AtariMax being the most pervasive... Maybe talk to Steve Tucker about a volume discount on the 8Mbit cart...

sloopy.

sloopy.

The EEPROM IC died, I talked to Sal about it on irc, but never emailed him. one day i will get around to it... I know a couple people with them, and have plenty of PLCC EEPROM/FLASH's sitting around here, so I may fix it myself...

There are so many 'multi-carts' on the market, why would you need to design another? SIC! or AtariMax being the most pervasive... Maybe talk to Steve Tucker about a volume discount on the 8Mbit cart...

sloopy.

The Atarimax Maxflash Cartridges(both sizes) have been priced at 5/$100 with free shipping for quite a while. Steve has a month-end expiry date on the week-end sale of the 8Mbit cartridges, but he has had this sale price since before Christmas. With this quantity discount the per unit price is actually less than that of the 4Mbit SIC.

Steve might offer a slightly lower price for larger quantities, but I don't think he could go much lower considering the cost of the case/circuit board/components.

sloopy.

sloopy.

The Atarimax Maxflash Cartridges(both sizes) have been priced at 5/$100 with free shipping for quite a while. Steve has a month-end expiry date on the week-end sale of the 8Mbit cartridges, but he has had this sale price since before Christmas. With this quantity discount the per unit price is actually less than that of the 4Mbit SIC.

Steve might offer a slightly lower price for larger quantities, but I don't think he could go much lower considering the cost of the case/circuit board/components.

He has had the 5/$99 sale from early last summer. So the market should be 'flooded' :')

sloopy.

The Atarimax carts is what we've been using. KJMANN was originally using unsold XEGS 128K carts, but something happened to the guy encoding the carts for us so we went over to 128K Atarimax carts. I had to write up a new cart switching scheme and have some routines copied to RAM to get it to work. However that is still $20 a piece plus a markup that has to be divided for people involved.

With this second game, I may take advantage of the Atarimax format since the rom only uses the area between $8000 to $9FFF and can be switched off to access the RAM under that area. I have been keeping to the older format that avoid using self-modifying code since those won't work if they remain in ROM. I had to copy the 8K steady bank to $A000 to $BFFF to simulate a XEGS cart. Some code is copied under the OS that is self-modifying like RMT, Fast Line Drawing, Soft Sprite, etc.

One possible use of the RAM under cart is a fast table driven Multiply Routine that can help define each level quicker. There is a short pause before starting a new level. We hide it by creating that flash effect. The existing multiply routine does it under 2 seconds anyway, so its only going to be a minor improvement.

Edited by peteym5

With this second game, I may take advantage of the Atarimax format since the rom only uses the area between $8000 to $9FFF and can be switched off to access the RAM under that area. I have been keeping to the older format that avoid using self-modifying code since those won't work if they remain in ROM. I had to copy the 8K steady bank to $A000 to $BFFF to simulate a XEGS cart. Some code is copied under the OS that is self-modifying like RMT, Fast Line Drawing, Soft Sprite, etc.

You have this backwards. The Atarimax flash carts use $A000-BFFF, but they can be switched off, as you say. If you did something different with Tempest Xtreme, then the carts you were using are different.