IGNORED

MAME. A good idea?

VideoFever1982

even businesses sometimes have MAME machines

And they've even been seen on ER.

Arcade Legends runs on PC hardware?

Think so. On their gamepack install doc, it shows a USB drive and PC. I don't know what else it would be running.

http://www.chicago-gaming.com/Brochures/AL...ack_install.pdf

OK, i didn't do any research on it. I know there are a couple of boards out there i think ones by Capcom that has several games on it.

http://www.jammaboards.com/store/60-in-1-m...b/prod_212.html

post-17612-1232129410_thumb.jpg

Edited by VideoFever1982

I was just guessing at it. It turns out that that was just the tip of the iceberg in my understanding of those machines though. I found a good story here:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?...e;topic=86245.0

Title: Re: Has anyone ever figured out the Joshua OS from Ultracade?

Post by: davidrfoley on November 25, 2008, 11:55:07 AM

First of all, I don't care if you crack it or not. I sold UltraCade Technologies over two years ago and have not been involved in the system ever since. It's a dead product. Global VR discontinued the UltraCade and Arcade Legends product lines. They renamed it to Global Arcade Classics, but then they laid off the team and did not renew a bunch of the licenses. I no longer have any involvement with the product or its technology. Just so you have the facts straight, here is a quick overview of the history. I built a 6502 emulator project in college, and that became the basis of some classic emulation projects that I was working on in the late 80's and early 90's. My first product was a joust emulator that ran on the Sega Genesis. We then built a Joust game for the PC, and a network playable version of Joust called NetJoust. During this time, I had a programmer from Australia that worked with me, Mark Morris. In 1998, I sold HyperWare to Quantum3D and joined there as the VP of Engineering. I was chartered with increasing the company's involvement in the arcade industry. We first set out to enhance the PC product line to supply other vendors with an Intel based platform. We built and patented the Quicksilver II system and then the Graphite system. We built 3dFX based video cards for the arcade industry as well as custom I/O cards. We supplied companies including Sega, Atari & Midway with systems. I was also given the green light on my pet project, the emulation multi-game system. At the time, I contacted Mark Morris who had partnered with countryman Adrian Thewlis. They had started a company called Sapphire Operating Systems building a small, purpose built OS for embedded applications on the Intel platform. I originally contracted them to build the game as they both had experience in the console market and had a fast loading OS that seemed like a good solution for coin-op. The first product iteration was called Lucky 8, and ran on the Sapphire OS. This product was only demonstrated, but never shipped. Mark and Adrian parted ways, and Adrian started a new company called Joshua Technology, and the OS became the Joshua OS. Over the years we contracted with Adrian to work on enhancing the OS to add new features and hired him as well to do contract programming on the UltraCade product. The OS was very purpose built, and only had the most essential of features in order to keep it small and fast. It supported several iterations of the Intel chipset family, including the 810, 815 and later the 845. Adrian did some work with the Via chipsets, but we could never get the technical information needed to fully support it. He also did some work wiht a few other graphics chips. Besides the UltraCade platform, which ran solely on the Joshua Operating System, Adrian also was contracted by a company that was doing a visual device that was fitted to tanks for spotting land mines. The indeed used the Joshua OS and originally used Graphite computers in testing. This product was deployed by the US Military and Adrian even went into the field to see it implemented.

Good luck cracking it. You won't get any technical information from me or Adrian but you won't get any legal ramifications from me as I don't have any interest in the product, however, you are violating the DMCA by cracking it, so Adiran could come down on the forums if he were paying attention as he is the owner of the OS, I merely licensed it from him.

Finally, as for me using alias' in the forums, everyone knows that to be untrue. I've always been here, and used my real name. Even when the storm of misinformation about MAME went on, I didn't hide under an alias. Yes, I watch the forums, and when I want to post, I post under my real name.

Title: Re: Has anyone ever figured out the Joshua OS from Ultracade?

Post by: davidrfoley on November 25, 2008, 06:09:14 PM

Well, regardless of my ownership of UltraCade, giving out proprietary information about the OS would violate NDA's that I have signed.

It's really simple though. If your goal is to have a fast loading OS for a system, go grab an open source DOS. Joshua is in many ways just like DOS in functionality and performance. The OS was built with a very narrow field of hardware and applications to support, so it isn't hampered by loads of drivers and the kernel can be very efficient. I'm willing to bet if you took FreeDOS or an equivalent, and setup a MAME machine, you'd find that the performance of Joshua could easily be matched.

If you are looking for a wide base of hardware support, there are some scaled back versions of Linux that can be loaded from BOOT ROM's and they can get fairly quick in loading too. The boot time is very cool and appealing, and will always be compromised in the name of hardware compatibility.

Edited by Fort Apocalypse

Does MAME support any form of light gun? I've always wanted to have the Star Trek: Voyager shemup at home, but I don't have the cash or space for the real cabinet. is there any way it could be done?

Mameox on the xbox supports lightguns.

I've played a few games of police trainer, zombie raid, letheal justice, and zero point with the madcatz blaster.

I think i'll pass on the mame thing myself. One thing i might do is try it on the xbox tho. How do i go about that?

Getting MAME to run on Xbox is much more difficult I think.

I don't have an xbox, and know very little about it, but from what I just read:

* mameox is an old sourceforge project (4 yrs old)

* mame-x got pulled down from mame site because it was built with illegal/unlicensed xbox compiler?

* MamedOx Platinum is the newest version of mameox but I didn't find it (but didn't look hard. might be a torrent)

XBMC seems related- it is like a media-center (this is not mine, but I google'd it and found this):

* http://217.118.215.116/ (I don't know whether that is legal or not, so if it isn't legal, don't do it)

* more info on XBMC for other OSs: http://xbmc.org/

Edited by Fort Apocalypse

I think i'll pass on the mame thing myself. One thing i might do is try it on the xbox tho. How do i go about that?

I don't have an xbox, and know very little about it, but from what I just read:

* mameox is an old sourceforge project (4 yrs old)

* mame-x got pulled down from mame site because it was built with illegal/unlicensed xbox compiler?

* MamedOx Platinum is the newest version of mameox but I didn't find it (but didn't look hard. might be a torrent)

XBMC seems related- it is like a media-center (this is not mine, but I google'd it and found this):

* http://217.118.215.116/ (I don't know whether that is legal or not, so if it isn't legal, don't do it)

* more info on XBMC for other OSs: http://xbmc.org/

I'd also repost your question of how to get it working on xbox with step-by-step instructions on emulation forum at AA. There should be a lot more folks there that can help.

Yes, it is.

Why skip MAME? It takes a few minutes to DL the emu and a few roms, then you're off and running, especially if you have a usb game controller.

Edited by Lord Helmet

Yes, it is.

Why skip MAME? It takes a few minutes to DL the emu and a few roms, then you're off and running, especially if you have a usb game controller.

I know but i just don't feel like going through the hardware and cabinet deal again. I'll be buying a few original cabinets in the future. Not a lot but a few for a game room.

• 3 weeks later...
Does MAME support any form of light gun? I've always wanted to have the Star Trek: Voyager shemup at home, but I don't have the cash or space for the real cabinet. is there any way it could be done?

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=91575

Next question: is there any type of PC light gun that can be rigged to work with an LCD tv?

I've been contemplating on whether or not to build a MAME machine. I know someone that has one and based on some things I've read, it's illegal to own roms to these arcade games. Is this true??

It's o.k. but nothing beats a real machine. Mame of like california speed is just not the same at all. Xybots,and other games with custom controllers are just better with the real thing, if you have a space isssue and that's all you can do, then it would work as a fair substitute for some games.