IGNORED

1200XL PBI EXTENDER BOARD PRODUCTION RUN: ORDER HERE!

MEtalGuy66

Ok Guys... As we decided in the other thread, there is enough interest to make a run of these boards:

post-8775-1232128956_thumb.jpg

WHAT IS IT?

This board plugs into the Cartridge Slot on an Atari 1200XL and gives you two vertical cartridge slots, and one 800XL style PBI (Paralell Bus Interface) connector. This will allow you to connect devices such as the MIO, Black Box, or Supra/KMK hardisk interface (While still using cartridges at the same time.) Yes, there are two(2) cart slot connectors. Wanna use an ATARIMAX 1Mb flash cart with SpartaDOS 4.41, and an RTIME8: cart at the same time? This will do it.

In addition to plugging into the cartridge slot, 10 solder connections must be made inside your 1200XL. These 10 connections exit the side of the machine via a flat ribbon cable which plugs into the 1200XL-PBI board. In order for this upgrade to work, your 1200XL must also be "modded" to use a 16k XL/XE Operating System ROM which contains the necessary support code to tell the operating system how to interact with PBI devices.

As a final note of interest, this board could also be used for other XL/XE machines that lack the full ECI/PBI bus (such as the North American 65XE). The connection points inside the machine would be different, but it shouldn't be any problem at all to compare schematics and find the appropriate signals.

ORDERING OPTIONS:

BARE PCB

Paypal $15.00 per board (Add appropriate PAYPAL fees) to kjones66@earthlink.net.

This is just the bare PCB, stuck in a padded envelope, and mailed to your continental U.S. adress via USPS.

ASSEMBLED BOARD:

For those who can't "do it themselves", I am offering the following options:

ASSEMBLY OPTION A

Paypal $35.00 per unit (add appropriate PAYPAL fees) to kjones66@earthlink.net

Assembled for PBI functionality only (no cart slots but otherwise fully assembled, ready to be installed in your 1200XL and give it a PBI instead of a cart slot.)

This will "get you going" with a PBI device, and you can alwayse have someone solder the cart-slot connectors on later.

This incudes insured shipping (within the continental U.S.) via fedex home delivery.

ASSEMBLY OPTION B

Paypal $51.00 per unit (add appropriate PAYPAL fees) to kjones66@earthlink.net

Fully Assembled to provide two cartridge slots and one PBI. I will source the cart-slot connectors, and if I cant get them I will MAKE them and they will be DAMN NICE..

You may think this price is high, but I have paid as much as $8.00 per cart-slot connector in recent years (when I could even find them)... And to MAKE them out of longer "card-edge" connectors requires precision cutting & filing of two "end pieces" to exactly mate up when solderd on the board, in order to form the needed 15x2 position connector. I am no longer in a position where I can donate unlimted time for free, or you know I would.. This price includes insured shipping (within the continental U.S.) via fedex home delivery.

Both ASSEMBLY OPTIONS above will include the following parts installed on the board:

1 14pin DIP socket.

1 74HC08

1 .01uF ceramic cap

1 2.7k resistor

1 2x5 male .100" spaced pin header.

1 2x5 female .100" spaced cinch connector.

1 20" 10-conductor x 20ga flat ribbon cable.

(Im probably gonna get most of these parts locally because I dont anticipate a large volume, and its faster. Im figuring $10.00 per unit for these parts)

=========================

IMPORTANT POINTS & DISCLAIMER:

=========================

EVEN THE FULLY ASSEMBLED BOARD REQUIRES 10 SOLDER CONNECTIONS INSIDE YOUR 1200XL!

I just thought I'd mention this again so those less technically inclined can understand perfectly clearly up front that it's not "plug play"

It requires some installation.

TO USE THIS UPGRADE, YOUR 1200XL MUST ALREADY BE "MODDED" WITH A 16K XL/XE OS ROM!

Yes, you'll have to get someone to do this mod too, or your machine won't "know how" to use the PBI interface.

IF YOU PUT THIS ON YOUR MACHINE, AND IT BLOWS UP, YOU DID IT, NOT ME!

Edited by MEtalGuy66

Hi

I'm up for 2 but would need shipping to the UK. Would you be willing to sell 4 cart connectors with the boards? (Obviously I'd be happy to pay whatever you decide is a fair price for the connectors.)

Thanks for another quality product :)

Hi

I'm up for 2 but would need shipping to the UK. Would you be willing to sell 4 cart connectors with the boards? (Obviously I'd be happy to pay whatever you decide is a fair price for the connectors.)

Yeah we can do this:

$30.00US = 2 PCBs

$40.00US = 4 Cart Connectors (If I end up having to make them, they will be pre-soldered on the boards when you get them, and I promise you'll be happy)

$10.00US = Shipping to UK (Standard Parcel Post is the only thing reasonably priced..)

$80.00US = Total.

Edited by MEtalGuy66

Hi

Yeah we can do this:

$30.00US = 2 PCBs

$40.00US = 4 Cart Connectors (If I end up having to make them, they will be pre-soldered on the boards when you get them, and I promise you'll be happy)

$10.00US = Shipping to UK (Standard Parcel Post is the only thing reasonably priced..)

$80.00US = Total.

Outstanding! Thank you that's great. Stupid question (after looking at the PayPal site) how much is appropriate for fees? Would an additional $5 cover it?

Hi

Yeah we can do this:

$30.00US = 2 PCBs

$80.00US = Total.

Outstanding! Thank you that's great. Stupid question (after looking at the PayPal site) how much is appropriate for fees? Would an additional $5 cover it?

Yeah Im not sure what percentage they take.. Im just trying not to come up short, because I really am "in a hole" financially at the moment..

I can guarantee any money I get for these will be used appropriately, but it would be a really bad thing (for me) if I had to end up spending extra funds "out of pocket"...

I think $5.00 will more than cover it.

I dont know how accurate this is, but check it out: http://ppcalc.com/

TO USE THIS UPGRADE, YOUR 1200XL MUST ALREADY BE "MODDED" WITH A 16K XL/XE OS ROM!

Yes, you'll have to get someone to do this mod too, or your machine won't "know how" to use the PBI interface.

Anyone know where I can get info on this OS mod for 1200xl?

I think it was about $1.75 on $50 when I looked last. You can use that as a measurement.

Tempest

If you search and look for the original Bob Woolley 1200XL PBI upgrade, the first half of the instructions are for the XL OS/Internal BASIC mod. I have done this mod to a couple of my 1200XL's and it is well worth it, even without the PBI part. It gives you the full advantage of the later XL compatability and built in BASIC in the cooler 1200XL case and keyboard. I think I may have posted a thread on here of the OS/BASIC upgrade at one time.

The parts are

1 600/800XL OS rom

1 BASIC rom, preferably Rev C

1 600/800XL MMU

Anyone know where I can get info on this OS mod for 1200xl?

Edited by Guitarman

If you search and look for the original Bob Woolley 1200XL PBI upgrade, the first half of the instructions are for the XL OS/Internal BASIC mod. I have done this mod to a couple of my 1200XL's and it is well worth it, even without the PBI part. It gives you the full advantage of the later XL compatability and built in BASIC in the cooler 1200XL case and keyboard. I think I may have posted a thread on here of the OS/BASIC upgrade at one time.

SO, I could just take the OS and BASIC from my old parts 800xl that no longer works and use them? I'll get a rev c basic chip though...

If I remember correctly, you are better off burning EPROMs for the 1200XL. You can easily have 2 OS images (400/800 and XL/XE) and you can fix the SIO bug that exists in both sets of code, if you do.

Bob

SO, I could just take the OS and BASIC from my old parts 800xl that no longer works and use them? I'll get a rev c basic chip though...

If I remember correctly, you are better off burning EPROMs for the 1200XL. You can easily have 2 OS images (400/800 and XL/XE) and you can fix the SIO bug that exists in both sets of code, if you do.

Bob

I decided to get an atarimax 32n1 OS for it.

SIO can be interrupted while it is calculating and storing checksums, causing an error if the interrupt occurs at the right (wrong) time. It was in one of Bill Wilkinson's Compute articles. Simple fix is to exchange two instructions.

Bob

Hello Bob

... fix the SIO bug that exists in both sets of code, if you do.

Never heard of a SIO bug. Please tell.

greetings

Mathy