IGNORED

tg-16 magical chase value

www.toyratt.com

Yes this game is rare but it's no Answer software Gauntlet. Im sure it still had an above average production run and I'm sure there are plenty of collectors out there that have them, and will sell them when something comes up (Bills, etc..) the fact is this game will always surface, be it a collectors or just some guy who finds it in his old collection, several times a year they will be for sale. If people want to fight over it like it's the last one that will ever be for sale and spike the value then thats there problem. The relaxed will still score a copy for $150 once the crazies all have one.

Actually, the game had a below average print run for the Turbo Grafx which on average had much lower print runs than comparable consoles of the day which is why it commands a premium, along with the fact that it's actually a really good game. Whether you like it or not, there are hundreds and possibly thousands of collectors looking for this game as it seems to attract not just TG-16 fans, but also shmup collectors and general collectors who only want a few high profile turbo games. While it "regularly" shows up on Ebay, I haven't seen it available more than once every few months lately and that's not really "regularly" when there are lots of people searching for one. Getting this game complete for anything less than $300 anymore just doesn't happen and the more likely range is $400 - $500. Sealed copies tend to go for at least twice this amount. You might get lucky and find one in the wild for next to nothing, but finding a copy nowadays even loose for $150 is really a rarity.

It took me a few years to find a minty box and I definitely paid a premium for it. Given the economy, the price is going to vary heavily on eBay, but here are my guesses:

Hu Only: $200

Hu + Manual: $250-$300

Boxed: $450+

Sealed: $700+

There are a surprising number of Turbo collectors out there (lots of good Shmups as someone mentioned) and with only 94 HuCards, a lot of people are 'only a few' from completing the set. Given my own personal hunt and the folks I know who still need it, I'd say there's plenty of demand. Unlike a lot of really rare games, the game itself is a lot of fun and has significant differences from the PCE version.

I'd disagree that TG16 has 'peaked', it's always been a bit niche, but as shooters are getting a lot of exposure from Virtual Console you'll see folks looking up old Turbo titles. Good luck with the sale if you choose to go that route!

I have a totally different take on virtual console that I do "reproductions" when it comes to collecting toys. I dislike seeing collectible toys getting reproduced. People that simply want them and don't want to pay premiums for them & have no problem if they are reproduced. I don't like it because it takes away the thrill of the hunt, swinging a good deal, and bragging about owning said toy. Most people immediately think I dislike reproductions because it "drives down the cost of your collection."

In the world of virtual console, people can acquire "virtual" reproductions. I always hope these releases help shave off some collectors from driving up the aftermarket prices of these games because they can simply purchase said games on virtual console. However I also recognize that virtual console increases awareness of niche games and may therefore cause more people to want to collect the games.

Oh well.