IGNORED

My really bad art possibly worlds worst art for sale!

homerwannabee

It confuses me why artist are able to sell drippings and splattering for millions upon millions of dollars. I actually heard someone claim it's about the emotion it brings about. OK, whatever, here you go. I have an extraordinary talent of being able to bring about ugly art as well and mine is even uglier. It's original and probably should be called scribblings that a 5 year old could do rather than art. But anyways. I selling these garbage drawings for $10 a piece. I don't draw much but I am creative, so take it for what it's worth.

Edit: OH, top picture is called "Happy Days", bottom left picture is called "Fragmented image", and the picture on the bottom right is called the "Bush Administration"

I autographed all the pictures with my signature H.W., standing for Homerwannabee

post-3979-1233202548_thumb.jpg

post-3979-1233202603_thumb.jpg

post-3979-1233202648_thumb.jpg

Edited by homerwannabee

Okay, though I wouldn't necessarily hang a Pollock in my house, there's a reason why it's pretty cool. Okay, bear with me here. If you know a bit about chaos science, you should enjoy this. A group of chaos theorists were looking at various pieces of abstract art. Pollock did his drip stuff later in his career and always sort-of zoned out whenever he did. Most people, when they look at it, find it to be just a bunch of paint thrown around. However, these researches found something extraordinary. Though chaos science hasn't really achieved much, it has managed to discover chaotic 'patterns' in nature. That is, nature has a certain 'chaotic patterning' to it that enables the human mind to realize if it's natural or not. For example, last year or so, I saw this commercial for some kind of comp CD on TV. The background had this ocean scene and something bothered me about it. I realized what it was after a few seconds, it was about 2-3 seconds of ocean clip on loop. My brain didn't like it because it wasn't 'natural,' that is the unpredictable quality of how waves move was not reproduced because of the loop they had it on instead of a few minutes of it until the commercial was over. Same thing with those battery-powered candles they have out now. When you recognize the pattern, it will cease to be a candle if you're not looking directly at the light source. So, anyway, there is essentially this chaos to things like that. When you look at a forest, for example, the way the trees grow cannot be predicted (that is the patterning of the bark, the direction they go, etc.). When using various fomulae to analyze these patterns in nature, they found the SAME patterns in Pollock's drip paintings. The one he called Autumn Rhythm, for example, had patterns shockingly similar to those found in trees. I don't agree it's great art, but I do agree that he managed to tap into some primal source of symbolism present in the human brain we have yet to understand. Sheds a bit of more light on his work. Doesn't explain other stuff though, like what's-his-face's Woman series. Ugh. That just sucks.

And the last one for a great while. This one is a little different than the others. I call this one Centralization. Well, at least my art arises emotion. My next effort will be better though. I am just experimenting at the moment. I will draw about 100 more pieces. Out of those 100 I will chose the best 5 to try to sell. This is also $10

post-3979-1233205647_thumb.jpg

Homer...

I'm no fan of abstractionism, but I've had enough art appreciation classes to be able to open my mind enough to at least pay attention to my response.

These scribbles evoke emotions. The second one makes me think of rain and the desert. There is a Dali quality to it (by a looong stretch of the imagination), that makes it seem like a window, floating on a desert landscape that is raining.

Unfrotunately, the thing framed by the window calls to mind a cat's butthole. Maybe that is just me. I guess it could be a leaf, crater, or rose, too... depending on how one squints.

The first one, I see a face, peeking out from, woods, or drapes... It has a dark, hidden quality to it.

The third one, certianly evokes a hellish sense of chaos. I can kind of see forms dancing in the scribbles, but I can't quite get my mind around what they might be.

The last one, as noted, has a certain feminine quality to it, although whereas the other poster saw an anotomical feature (which I can see as well, now that it is pointed out to me), I originally saw a mink or fox shawl.

In either case, all of these images are playing around with light and shade in some pretty interesting ways to create shape, depth, texture and action/motion. Those are some pretty basic criteria of defining if something is art, or simply a doodle.

It might be interesting to note that a lot of the most accomplished artists throughout history have been posthumously diagnosed as likely having mental illness, often schizophrenia, and that the third image in this set seems to have a paranoid-schizo vibe to it. Something you might see up on the wall in the room of an insane asylum, or hanging in the classic impressionist section of a gallery in France. This is, interestingly, my least favorite of these four images you have posted. I find it disturbing and difficult to look at.

The thing is, posted on a retro-video game forum with an asking price of $10 per piece, the only opinions you are likely to solicit are likely to come from people who will observe, "Dude, don't quit your day job - that last one looks like a chick's woohoo!"

The thing is, as Christian once outted me, I can draw some pretty reasonable representations of realistic figures, objects and sceneries. But I can't do work like this at all. I've known other artists that do solely stuff like what you've posted here - and I've tried my hand at it, it just turns out *horrible* for me. You can sample some of my work here:

http://donovan.elfwood.com/

I'm not quitting my day job, either, but I'm more artistic than the general population. Thing is, if I tried to do the stuff you've done here, I'd fail. So, saying that these are just scribbles and *anybody* could do it, is something of a mis-statement. If you check out my gallery, you'll notice that even my loose, scribbling pictures have very defined, rigid, realistic form to them. Those images tend to be the least stiff, the most fluid, of my drawings, but they still follow very rigid rules. You've totally thrown out form and convention, as far as I can see, yet there is still a form that jumps out to the mind in the images you've posted.

I simply cannot do that. I've tried. The ability to let go like that and still create something, or to not be able to let go at all and to strictly "color within the lines", is where the interpretation of something as art, or not, begins.

Edited by Paranoid

The first one looks like someone is looking out from within, the second gives me the feeling of looking down through a storm at maybe a raft, the third comes across as organized chaos and the other one you posted looks a bit like my dog Fred when he would curl up and sleep it gives a feeling of feeling of quiet peace.

Very interesting work ( I used to work at Carnegie Museum) and spent quite a bit of time in the art section and we had a fair mix of tradition and modern art, I "got" most of the modern art but some was just nonsensical rubbish I remember a video art exhibit where you sat in a small viewing room and they played different pieces of art from various folks the one i had the most trouble with was a 15 second clip shot in b&w of a rose in a vase outside the broken window of an abandoned warehouse and it looped for 30 minutes..... :blink:

But you do have some ability and you may consider a deviant art account you can display and sell your work. Not everyone will like your work but thats fine because you can't please everyone.

Art is a personal and subjective thing. If drawing makes you happy and provides you an outlet for your emotions then that is what is important. I'm stuck on one huge project, have another big one in the works, and have been working on Ukrainain coloring pages for Bean, as well as sketching nature, flowers, and animals just for me. I also love taking nature photos.

To each their own and there are many free art programs and tutorials available if you'd want to refine your work. Or you could just play lots of video games for inspiration and fun too! And if you don't, that's just fine to since it's yours.