IGNORED

HSC Season 1 Week 5: Kung Fu Master

Deteacher

A Kung Fu Master, Thomas, and Sylvia, his girlfriend, were walking and they were suddenly attacked by several unknown guys. While Thomas was distracted, Sylvia was kidnapped by them. Thomas later found a note from Mr. X, an inhabitant from the Devil's Temple. The note reads:

Your love Sylvia is in custody right now. If you want to save your dear Sylvia's life, come to the Devil's Temple at once. The 5 Sons of the Devil will entertain you.

post-9712-1233420955_thumb.jpg post-9712-1233420961_thumb.png post-9712-1233420968_thumb.png

Game Information:

Game Name: Kung Fu Master

Released By: Irem, 1984

Game Mode: Default settings

MAME ROMset: kungfum

Chosen By: maximebeauvis

ROM Location: http://www.rom-world.com/file.php?id=23052

Post your scores in this thread and I will update the leaderboard throughout the week. The deadline for posting scores will be Saturday, February 7th, 2009 @ 12:00 Noon (EST)

BONUS POINTS: The player with the best tips submitted will earn +2 bonus points this week.

CURRENT HIGH SCORES

1. 137,000 (maximebeauvais) [+11]

2. 133,310 (Osbo) [+10]

3. 126,210 (LarcenTyler) [+9]

4. 76,610 (aftermac) [+8]

5. 61,150 (JellE) [+7]

6. 28,430 (SpiceWare) [+6]

7. 25,800 (Shannon) [+5]

CURRENT POINT TOTALS

1. Spiceware [41]

2. Shannon [30]

3. aftermac [26]

4. JellE [19]

5. LarcenTyler [19]

6. Dr Galaga [17]

7. maibock [16]

8. maximebeauvais [13]

9. rxd [13]

10. theking21803 [13]

11. NE146 [11]

12. Osbo [10]

13. Vectorman0 [10]

14. Artlover [9]

15. LaserHawk [6]

16. MrAtari2600 [5]

Edited by Deteacher

My personal tips:

-The Grippers (purple guys) are wimps. When they come at you in groups, a well timed jump-kick will knock them out for massive points, partially because for each enemy you knock out with one attack (that knocks out more than one) you get an increased amount of points.

-The Knife Throwers are one of the more dangerous enemies and should be dealt with ASAP. My personal strategy is to wait for them to attack, then move in after avoiding their attack, dodging any further attacks, and then deliver a couple of body blows.

-The Tom-Toms (midgets) often try to somersault into you, so don't try to attack them low right away. Instead, see if they jump at you, and then jump-kick them out of the air. Otherwise, a good old-fashioned footsweep always does the trick.

-On the second and fourth floors, be especially careful of the booby traps (the dragons, snakes, and bombs, and the moths on the second and fourth floors respectively.) One hit takes half of your energy away. It's best to try to kick a snake jar/dragon ball/bomb before it hits the ground/explodes (for the latter you have to jump-kick them.) If a snake jar breaks, you CAN'T kill the snakes, so jump over them. If you're quick, you can kill a dragon with a swift kick, but otherwise duck under their flames. As for the bombs, just move as far away from them as you can before they explode. As for the moths, DON'T try to run through them. Time it carefully and knock them out when they're in range.

-The Stick Fighter shouldn't be too hard if you know what you're doing. Wait for him to strike at you a couple times, then when he pulls back, run in and jab him in the stomach till he falls.

-The Boomerang Fighter is a little trickier. When you first see him, watch his boomerangs and see whether they go high or low. Note that they can come back high or low, and he may throw more than one. If he throws high at first, duck under it and then advance on him. Jump over the low ones, and when you get close enough, if you jumped over one just as you got to him, hit him with a good jump-kick in the chops, then unload on his stomach.

-The Giant is where we get a little tougher. Wait for him to attack, then run in and throw a couple of low jabs. Then retreat since he'll most likely attack, and he has a long reach and a lot of power. Repeat this untill he goes down.

-The Magician has to be my least favorite of the bosses. You HAVE to punch him in the stomach to damage him. Kicking him low will do nothing while attacking his head will cause it to fall off and then he'll vanish and reappear, followed by some kind of magical attack aimed at you. He will also vanish and reappear when he's low on energy. When this happens, PULL BACK! He may attempt to either use a fireball aimed at you or aim one at your feet, or he may conjure a past enemy creature like a moth or snake.

-As for Mr. X, all I can say is try to mix it up with him and don't use the same techniques more than one.

Shouldn't this be week 5?

Naw, week 4 was so bad, we decided on a do over! :)

LOL! You just beat me to it! :D

Yeah.. I am good like that! :)

Look at me, trying to stay on the ball this week. Just when I think I have everything all nice and neat and on time, I make a silly mistake like that. :roll:

All fixed. :)

Look at me, trying to stay on the ball this week. Just when I think I have everything all nice and neat and on time, I make a silly mistake like that. :roll:

It's all good... we will only give you a hard time once. (Once a day, that is! :) )

Good pick! I love Kung Fu Master... 133310 second try.

My Tips:

First level, just walk and when the guy with the stick comes at you, get close to him, so when he swings the stick, he won't hit you. I like to getting started with a flying kick, but sometimes he kneels to avoid it.

Second level: Time it, and you can get a lot of points. Hit the first vase. Dragons can be deal with a punch for 2000 points. The bombs, a flying kick will get you a 1000 points. The guy with the boomerang can get tricky. Don't kneel, and he will trow the boomerang high, move closer, kick him a couple of times, and then he will trow the boomerang low. Be careful with the first returning boomerang.

Third level: Pretty much as the first one, but this time, more midgets come at you. If they jump, I like to jump and hit them with the head. The big black guy its the easiest one. Walk towards him, and getting started with a flying kick, then kneel right away and punch him until he dies (gotta be quick before he trows a kick)

Fourth level: I hate this one. Time the butterflies. The ones going really low, jump over, don't try to kill them. The old dude its hard to kill. Wait for him to trow a high fireball, the move close to him and kneel right away. Kicks don't work, so use the punch. It takes a little luck to beat this old bastard.

Fifth level: Same as with the third level, kick your way towards the end, and be quick. Tons of midgets. Mr X its kinda thought, but keep it mixed (flying kicks, kicks, punches, etc)

The knife throwers.... 2 out of 3, he will trow a high knife first, get close to him, kneel and kick him twice. I don't use the punches with them.

If two of the purple guys walk towards you, keep on walking, and a fast flying kick will get rid of 3 of them at the same time (800 points)

Kneeling down, and for as long as you keep on kicking, you will stay down without pressing down. Its useful when you have enemies coming from left and right.

mmmm what else, what else... that's all I can think of for now.

It's all good... we will only give you a hard time once. (Once a day, that is! :) )

Hey, it's all good. I can take it. I can dish it out pretty good too. :) :) :)

Hey, it's all good. I can take it. I can dish it out pretty good too. :) :) :)

I have no doubt! :)

Alright.. I will be the first to post. I don't really know how to play this game... I just punch and hope I don't get caught! :)

post-9830-1233423819_thumb.png

I looked at the pic. you uploaded and I honestly have never seen that screen before. Is this a screen from the actual arcade K.F.M. ? I used to play the hell out of this game and can't remember ever seeing this screen.

Alright.. I will be the first to post. I don't really know how to play this game... I just punch and hope I don't get caught! :)

I looked at the pic. you uploaded and I honestly have never seen that screen before. Is this a screen from the actual arcade K.F.M. ? I used to play the hell out of this game and can't remember ever seeing this screen.

It's with the artwork overlay thingy added on. I found it on http://mrdo.mameworld.info/mame_artwork_ingame.html

It's with the artwork overlay thingy added on. I found it on http://mrdo.mameworld.info/mame_artwork_ingame.html

Thanks, I was racking my brain on that pic.

Edited by cougar302b