IGNORED

EotB potential buyer list.

EricDeLee

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I do not think it is right to keep others from playing the game because you want the game you spent so much on to stay as rare as it is...I can understand that it is a bit strange for you to see it become less special, but egoism is never a good thing.

Of course, it is easy for me to speak as one who wants the game and has not spent cash on one of those prototypes.

• Like 1

Does this remake really have the memory to do the game saves?

Back in the time when EOTB was created there were funny chips with piggyback batteries on them for carrying limited data saves. The SparcStation had a few hundred bytes with a real time clock on it. I believe that Atari had some kind of special chips like this.

chris_lynx1989 mentioned in another thread 'The proprietary Atari "Flash RAM" that is needed to make more of these is now exhasted from the old Atari stockpiles that did exist,and NO suitable replacement RAM can be found to duplicate this cart again'

This sounds as some kind of special gimmick that has to be re-created to allow for saves. Does anyone have an idea of how this flash RAM was accessed from the software? I am sure that you can get the same functionality using programmable logic if we just know how the Flash RAM worked.

I have two SRAM carts made by Lars Baumstark with 1F capacitors that can keep the entire game for several minutes. I used these for prototyping before I created my own devflash cart. So there is a simple way to write into SRAM from the cart.

Perhaps these SRAM carts should also be stored in some picture archive as they are obsolete now and only about 10 of them were ever made.

--

Regards,

Karri

Hello Karri, Were these SRAM carts like the BLL or AG and etc. carts that Lars made?If so,the pinouts are not compatible with EotB at all,as this has been looked at and tried already.As to the proprietary Atari RAM needed,a new small supply has been located again to help further this at some point in the future!Possibly,Eric has a few of these set aside too here.

Hello Karri, Were these SRAM carts like the BLL or AG and etc. carts that Lars made?If so,the pinouts are not compatible with EotB at all,as this has been looked at and tried already.As to the proprietary Atari RAM needed,a new small supply has been located again to help further this at some point in the future!Possibly,Eric has a few of these set aside too here.

The SRAM I have is 128k plain BLL cart with a big capacitor for keeping it alive. Instead of a ROM it has battery backed up RAM. The 2nd cart probe is for writes and the 1st probe for reads.

Do you have a clue of how Atari accessed its Flash RAM? Or even better a datasheet of the FlashRAM chip?

--

Karri

Would the save-matter be a hard one to solve, or do you think it would be possible to recode the save feature to work?

Don't worry, for this, I'm sure someone will patch it to work with whatever hardware is built. I'd even take a stab at it for EoTB. :D

Exactly my thought also. You could use flash or EEPROM for this functionality today.

The cc65 linker can handle the job of re-assembling the cart after the save is fixed.

--

Karri

Don't worry, for this, I'm sure someone will patch it to work with whatever hardware is built. I'd even take a stab at it for EoTB. :D

Exactly my thought also. You could use flash or EEPROM for this functionality today.

The cc65 linker can handle the job of re-assembling the cart after the save is fixed.

Guys, your words make me happy....I was afraid that such a technical issue could bring an end to this effort.

Damn, this very game could be the masterpiece on the Lynx, seeing that it was a port of such a highly advanced computergame to such a small system...unbelievable that Atari had it finished but did not release it even in small quantities....

I have one question:

Are the EotB Protos made with the C104233 Board?

If yes, someone should take his digital meter and figure out the shematic of this board.

Or someone make a good picture of both sides of the board and send it to me, maybe enough of the tracks are visible.

After this we can start talking again. Sorry to say, but if no one do this, we can stop to discussion, because it is useless.