IGNORED

Games That Require 128K Or Greater?

Tempest

With all the new homebrew games like Bomb Jack and Hobgoblin being developed for the Atari 8-bit, it seems like the memory requirements are getting higher and higher. Is there a list of games that require 128K or more? Also, what's the best memory mod to use for maximum compatibility? I'd like to upgrade my 1200XL to 360K or so to play some of these games (if that's even possible).

Tempest

There are some programmes that make use of the extra memmory for less discload, but the originally released programmes I remember are working on standard machine or there are pecial 64k versions.

A game that makes use of the 64k extra of the 130XE is Megablast - there are samples instead of music with some digidrums then.

Kaiser 2 exists in 3 versions vor 64k, 128k or 360k, but there are just less disc actions.

Some demos require more than 360k.

It is very usefull, if your extension is switchable between CompyShop (full ANTIC acces, like 130XE) and Rambo (no ANTIC access for extra RAM) to have the most compatibility.

Well,

reading the A8FAQ might help (and helping me updating it also!). There are two subjects dealing with it - subject 8.11 (What programs support more than 64k RAM) and subject 8.12 (What programs require more than 64k RAM)... both subjects are divided into a) Applications/Tools, b) Games and c) Demos... link:

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/atari-8-bit/faq/

I have not updated these lists for a while - and seeing how often someone asks this or similar questions here, I wonder why I ever wrote it there, when nobody is reading it. The same counts for the ever-returning question(s) "What programs are there for..." (insert controller, like lightgun, lightpen, mouse, paddles, cx-85, touch tablet, koala-pad, etc.) for which the information can also be found in the A8FAQ. The lists aren`t complete though and well, I am still thinking if its worth updating them...

Bombjack is not listed there yet, maybe Mental Age is missing too - but afaik Hobgoblin works on a 64k machine and does not require nor support any bigger Atari computers... -Andreas Koch.

Edited by CharlieChaplin

Yes a more complete in depth listing would make it much more valuable.

Well,

reading the A8FAQ might help (and helping me updating it also!). There are two subjects dealing with it - subject 8.11 (What programs support more than 64k RAM) and subject 8.12 (What programs require more than 64k RAM)... both subjects are divided into a) Applications/Tools, b) Games and c) Demos... link:

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/atari-8-bit/faq/

I have not updated these lists for a while - and seeing how often someone asks this or similar questions here, I wonder why I ever wrote it there, when nobody is reading it. The same counts for the ever-returning question(s) "What programs are there for..." (insert controller, like lightgun, lightpen, mouse, paddles, cx-85, touch tablet, koala-pad, etc.) for which the information can also be found in the A8FAQ. The lists aren`t complete though and well, I am still thinking if its worth updating them...

Bombjack is not listed there yet, maybe Mental Age is missing too - but afaik Hobgoblin works on a 64k machine and does not require nor support any bigger Atari computers... -Andreas Koch.

In regards to the "best" memory upgrade path:

1.) Join ABBUC (its well worth it)..

2.) Inquire about the 512k SRAM upgrad by MegaHZ/Wolfram.. It supports all compatability modes, and comes on premade PCBs for easy installation, even in a 1200XL.. Ask beetle for more info. He owns several machines with this upgrade..

2.) Inquire about the 512k SRAM upgrad by MegaHZ/Wolfram.. It supports all compatability modes, and comes on premade PCBs for easy installation, even in a 1200XL.. Ask beetle for more info. He owns several machines with this upgrade..

Hmm... I'll have to look into that. Thanks.

Tempest

I've asked and asked and so far no reply :( (Although I'm not a member of ABBUC - I have bought their products in the past though)

Yes a more complete in depth listing would make it much more valuable.

Hmm,

what do you mean ?!? I am currently listing the name of the game, the author (or publisher), the supported/required XRAM and the XRAM type(s). What other information do you need (e.g. internet download link, type of game/genre) ?? Here is what I have currently listed of Games that support or require XRAM:

"Games" that support more than 64k RAM:

Adalmar (Falk Buettner, 64k Ramdisk, block E),

A.R. - The Dungeon (Philipp Price, 64k XRAM, block E),

Bop N'Wrestle (Mindscape, 64k XRAM, block E),

The Brundles (KE-Soft, up to 256k XRAM, E/AE/26AE),

Human Torch & the Thing (Questprobe, 64k XRAM, block E),

Johnny`s Problem (ANG, 64k XRAM, block E),

Megablast 1 (Thorsten Karwoth, 64k XRAM, block E),

Mental Age (???, 64k XRAM, block E),

Problem Jasia (Mirage, 64k XRAM, block E),

[The Amazing] Spiderman (Questprobe, 64k XRAM, block E);

"Games" that require more than 64k RAM:

Castle of Blackthorne (T. Graef, 64k RD, block E),

Cavepack XE (XE-version by K. Ezcan, 64k RD, block E),

Computer Baseball (D. Blackwell, 64k XRAM, block E),

Der Neffe (XE-version by ???, 64k XRAM, block E),

Gizmo's Castle (XE-version by M. Kugler, 64k XRAM, block E),

Kaiser II (128k version by C. S., 64k XRAM, block E),

Kaiser II (320k version by C. S., 256k XRAM, 26AE & 8ACE),

Minesweeper 1-4 (4 versions by J.R. Chicko, 64k XRAM, block E),

Mister X (S. Soelbrandt, 64k RD, block E),

Oelbaron (XE-version by ???, 64k RD, block E),

Space Harrier (C. Hutt, 64k XRAM, block E),

Strategy Baseball (HAPS PD 0302, 64k XRAM, block E),

T-34 the Battle (ANG, 64k XRAM, block E),

Yie Ar Kung Fu (???, 256k XRAM, blocks ???, get the latest

versions from Fandal`s or Homesoft`s homepage...),

Zargon XE (ABBUC PD 611, HAPS PD 0485, 64k XRAM, block E)

As you see there are 25 entries right now, if I counted correctly. You can add "Bombjack" to that list (requires 256k XRAM, afaik accepts both 26AE and 8ACE Compyshop/Rambo types). Think there are also approx. 20 different solitaire types by J.R. Chicko (PD, available e.g. at Fandal`s site) that require 64k XRAM (standard 130XE or simply block E) that are not listed here. Afaik, Miker als once told me that Artefact Prodzkow (sp?) requires 64k XRAM (130XE or simply block E). And there are surely a lot of other games missing in that list. So, feel free to update this list with new game entries or any other information you find usefull...

-Andreas Koch.

P.S.: You can find some programs that require XRAM on Fandal`s site, simply by typing in e.g. "130XE" or "320XE", etc. in the search (and then click on "in details" right under it)...

Edited by CharlieChaplin

Is anyone else in the USA looking to buy this upgrade? We can pool our order and maybe save on overseas shipping.

Stephen Anderson

Ok,

with the help of Fandal`s website I updated the list. Since I only have a PAL computer (germany is PAL country you know), I do not know if these games will also run on NTSC systems and I cannot test this, sorry... therefore I noted where you may (?) or definitely (!) need language skills other than english... So here is the updated list:

Games that support or require more than 64k RAM:

Note: * means this game requires some language skills, otherwise unplayable

** file version by Fandal (the original Atari cart works ok with 64k RAM)

*** file version by unknown author(s) (original version requires only 64k RAM)

listed is only the additional memory that is supported or required, not the base RAM !

XE-version by... means, this is an XE version, there exists also an XL-version

26AE means Compyshop ramdisk types, 8ACE means Rambo/Newell ramdisk types

1) "Games" that support more than 64k RAM:

Adalmar - Falk Buettner, 64k Ramdisk, block E, * (german language!)

A.R. - The Dungeon - Philipp Price/Datasoft, 64k, block E,

Bop N'Wrestle - Mindscape, 64k, block E,

The Brundles - KE-Soft, 64k/128k/256k, blocks E/AE/26AE,

Human Torch & the Thing - Questprobe, 64k , block E,

Johnny`s Problem - ANG, 64k , block E,

Megablast 1 - Thorsten Karwoth, 64k, block E,

Mental Age - Tomasz Biela (Tebe), etc., 64k , block E,

Problem Jasia - Mirage, 64k , block E,

[The Amazing] Spiderman - Questprobe, 64k , block E;

2) "Games" that require more than 64k RAM:

Absolute Zero (solitaire) - J.R. Chicko, 64k , block E

Airball - ??? / Atari, 256k, 26AE & 8ACE, **

Artefact Prodzkow - D. Bartoszewski, H. Cygert, 64k , block E, * (polish language?)

Barnyard Blaster - James Zalewski/Atari, 64k, block E, **

Battlezone - Ken Rose/Atari, 64k, block E, **

Beleagured Castle (solitaire) - J.R. Chicko, 64k, block E

Beyond Castle Blackthorne - Thimo Graef, 64k, block E, * (german language!),

Bombjack - Tomasz Biela (Tebe), Krzystof Gora (Vega), etc., 256k, 26AE & 8ACE,

Bug Hunt - Alan Murphy, Rob Zdybel / Atari, 64k, block E, **

Cavepac XE - XE-version by Kemal Ezcan, 64k, block E,

Citadel (solitaire) - J.R. Chicko, 64k, block E,

Civilization (game-demo!) - Krzystof Gora (Vega), 64k, block E, * (polish language?)

C.L. Baker (solitaire) - J.R. Chicko, 64k, block E

Commando - ??? / Atari, 192k, ACE, **

Commando + - ??? / Atari, enhancements by emkay & fandal, 256k, 26AE & 8ACE, **

Computer Baseball - D. Blackwell, 64k, block E,

Crime Buster - James Zalewski / Atari, 256k, 26AE & 8ACE, **

Crossbow - ??? / Atari, 256k, 26AE & 8ACE, **

Crownland - A. Powroznik, M.+P. Wisniewski, 64k, block E,

Desert Falcon - Ken Rose / Atari, 64k, block E, **

Destroyer Warship - Bob Graham, 64k, block E,

Double or Quit (solitaire) - J.R. Chicko, 64k, block E,

Dreszcz - Krzystof Kardzis, 64k, block E, * (polish language?)

Droga do Duplandu - Tomasz Biela (TeBe), Lukas Sychowisz (X-RAY), Kamil Walasek,

192k or 256k, 26AE & 8ACE ?, * (polish language!)

Eagle (solitaire) - J.R. Chicko, 64k, block E,

Gaps (solitaire) - J.R. Chicko, 64k, block E,

Gato - James Yee / Atari, 64k, block E, ***

Getris - Tomasz Biela (Tebe), Adam Hay, etc., 64k, block E,

Gizmo's Castle - XE-version by Martin Kugler, 64k, block E, * (german language!)

Golf (solitaire) - J.R. Chicko, 64k, block E

Kaiser II - XE-version by C. Strotmann, 64k, block E, * (german language!)

Kaiser II - 320k version by C. Strotmann, 256k, 26AE & 8ACE, * (german language!)

Klondike (solitaire) - J.R. Chicko, 64k, block E,

Koenigsdiamanten - XE version by Kemal Ezcan, 64k, block E, * (german language!)

La Belle Lucie (solitaire) - J.R. Chicko, 64k, block E,

Las Vegas (solitaire) - J.R. Chicko, 64k, block E,

Mario Bros XE - ??? / Atari / Nintendo, 64k, block E, **

Match (solitaire-style memory!) - J.R. Chicko, 64k, block E,

Minesweeper 1 - J.R. Chicko, 64k, block E,

Minesweeper 2 - J.R. Chicko, 64k, block E,

Minesweeper 3 - J.R. Chicko, 64k, block E,

Minesweeper 4 - J.R. Chicko, 64k, block E,

Mister X - Stefan Soelbrandt, 64k, block E, * (german language!)

Monte Carlo (solitaire) - J.R. Chicko, 64k, block E,

Monte Carlo II (solitaire) - J.R. Chicko, 64k, block E,

National Hockey League 98 - David Spilka (Datri), 64k, block E, * (czech language!)

[Der] Neffe - XE-version by ???, 64k, block E, * (german language!)

Note: „Der Neffe“ also exists as an english version, named „The Nephew“, I have not tested yet if this english version requires 64k or 128k memory...

Oelbaron - XE-version by ???, 64k, block E, * (german language!)

Osmosis (solitaire) - J.R. Chicko, 64k, block E,

Selective Canfield (solitaire) - J.R. Chicko, 64k, block E,

Shamrock (solitaire), - J.R. Chicko, 64k, block E,

Space Harrier - Chris. Hutt (Sheddy), 64k, block E,

Speed Up Gold Edition - Radek Sterba (Raster), 64k, block E,

Strategy Baseball - HAPS PD 0302, 64k , block E,

Streets & Alleys (solitaire) - J.R. Chicko, 64k, block E,

T-34 the Battle - ANG+Mirage, M. Barylka, M. Sobczak, M. Wiewiorski, 64k , block E,

Tower Toppler - Bob Armor / Atari, 64k, block E, **

Trefoil (solitaire) - J.R. Chicko, 64k, block E,

Yie Ar Kung Fu - Krzsystof Gora (Vega), Daniel Kozminski, Michal Szpilowski (Miker), 256k , blocks 26AE & 8ACE, get the latest versions from Fandal`s homepage,

Zargon XE - MAPDA, 64k , block E, * (german language!),

Afaik there is also some „miniature golf“ version from Antic available that requires 128k memory, have to look for its name. As always, updates and corrections are welcome !

-Andreas Koch.

P.S.: As you see most games are 130XE (128k) versions, there are only 7-8 games that require 320k total memory and most of them are "unofficial" file-versions of XE game cartridges. Only three games, namely Bombjack, Droga do Duplandu and Yie Ar Kung Fu are 320k homebrew versions (YAKF is unfinished, Droga requires polish language skills and Bombjack / Bombjake will soon be available on cart)...

Edited by CharlieChaplin
  • Like 1

What ?

YAKF on cart ?!? Thats great news to me !! But this year will be very expensive, for now I have to buy Tempest Xtreem, Bomb Jake and YAKF on cart - and who knows what tomorrow brings... (there are still 11 months left of this year)...

-Andreas Koch.

Edited by CharlieChaplin

Hmm... I'll have to look into that. Thanks.

Tempest

I've got one on my main machine (800xl) and it is the best RAM upgrade I've ever used.

I just joined ABBUC myself... I guess I'll have to learn to read German quickly. :)

Yes, knowing German is not wrong for reading the ABBUC Magazin. I think, if there will be more not German members, it would make sense to have English magazine too.

But for questions etc. there is also the abbuc.de forum, where "English people" sometimes fly by.

And you can ask a few people here, if you want. I just remember of the following ABBUC members, active here too: CharlyChaplin, Heaven, emkay, Beetle, Mathy, cas and me. ...and some more

Afaik, Miker als once told me that Artefact Prodzkow (sp?) requires 64k XRAM (130XE or simply block E).

Not exactly. Artefakt Przodków runs fine on a standard 64K machine, and needs additional RAM for title-screen music only.

Also, the proper spelling is Krzysztof Góra, Krzysztof Kardzis, and Łukasz Sychowicz.

Edited by Kr0tki

And you can ask a few people here, if you want. I just remember of the following ABBUC members, active here too: CharlyChaplin, Heaven, emkay, Beetle, Mathy, cas and me. ...and some more

And don't forget me! I'm Abbuc Member #246!

I was member from 1990-1991

and from 1995 till now.

In 1991 I sold all my atari stuff to a 'so called' friend, who sold all the goodies with a big profit. Hehe that was also the end of a friendship. Sigh... But ABBUC RULEZ!!!

Marius

With all the new homebrew games like Bomb Jack and Hobgoblin being developed for the Atari 8-bit, it seems like the memory requirements are getting higher and higher.

This is a myth, not a true. We discussed this popular sentence here. As you can see there are only 7 games (striclty speaking: executable file versions) need more than 128KB and most of them are developed in 80's/90's, they are not new:

Commando + (256)

Airball (256)

Crossbow (256)

Crime Buster (256)

Droga do Duplandu (256)

Bomb Jack (320)

Yie Ar Kung Fu (320)

1. Hobgoblin is not on above list, so don't use it as an example for "high memory requirements". Hobgoblin requires 64KB only.

2. Most of mentioned games are cartridge based and cartridges works fine with all 64KB Ataris...

3. As far as I know, Bomb Jack and Yie Ar Kung Fu are to be released on cartridge and will work fine with all 64KB Ataris too...

4. You need speak Polish to play Droga Do Duplandu. If you don't - still can watch all graphics in demo "Droga Do Duplandu SlideShow" (128KB needed).

It is very usefull, if your extension is switchable between CompyShop (full ANTIC acces, like 130XE) and Rambo (no ANTIC access for extra RAM) to have the most compatibility.

I thought the main difference was the way the original 64K was mapped. Some upgrades give you banks that include the original 64K (like 256K, 512K upgrades) and some give you banks in addition to the original 64K (320K, 576K).

What is there that uses Antic banking? All I know of is a couple Atari demos.