IGNORED

Best Baseball Videogame Ever.

vdub_bobby

Well, if I'm giving out the award for best graphics for a baseball game, I'd have to go with Mattel's World Series Baseball for the ECS computer. You have to consider the time period '83 and what's currently available and NOTHING compares to the graphics of this game. This game had many, many first, 3d and multiply camera angles. The reason many people may not be familiar with this title is because when it was released the ECS computer and Mattel for that matter were going bye bye (out of business). Too bad this game didn't come out a little earlier as this may have helped push sales for the ECS.

I still remember the "teaser" commercial for this game back in '83 (which I still can't find on the net no matter how hard I look).

I guess I've liked each of my Baseball games better than the one before it.

But the one I spent the most time with, by far, was the M-Network game "Super Challenge Baseball" on the 2600. At least I think that's what it was called.

I usually played it against myself, over and over.

NES Bases Loaded was good graphically but I didn't like the selection of teams, gameplay was ok.

RBI 3 on Genesis I didn't play that much, but a good game.

"Best" baseball game I ever had was Hardball 6 on the PC, but that's getting more modern.

Hmm... come to think of it, I had a baseball game for every major platform I owned, except the 7800 (thankfully).

Well, if I'm giving out the award for best graphics for a baseball game, I'd have to go with Mattel's World Series Baseball for the ECS computer. You have to consider the time period '83 and what's currently available and NOTHING compares to the graphics of this game. This game had many, many first, 3d and multiply camera angles. The reason many people may not be familiar with this title is because when it was released the ECS computer and Mattel for that matter were going bye bye (out of business). Too bad this game didn't come out a little earlier as this may have helped push sales for the ECS.

I still remember the "teaser" commercial for this game back in '83 (which I still can't find on the net no matter how hard I look).

oh man would i LOVE to see the commercial because after i saw it in 83 i COULDN'T wait to get the game

then i ran out and bought the ECS and would call all over looking for the baseball game and i never did get it

i only had Mind Strike and Scooby Doo for the ECS

One of the games in the "Hardball" series for the Commodore 64 was bad with their physics. With a runner already at third base, going home, and the ball all the way in the right field (or was it left field), the guy could gun it home and tag you out.

Another game I can't remember the name of for the Commodore 64 had a problem with stats. This was around 1984 or 85. I got stuck with the Oakland Athletics due to a pick out of a hat. I've loved them ever since. They had Jose Canseco. He struck out EVERY time you swung, but if you bunted he'd get a base hit every time. My friends banned me from bunting with him.

I'm used to be a big fan of Baseball Stars, but I've become somewhat disillusioned with it. IMO it suffers from the same thing that most of the 8bit baseball games suffer from: crappy physics. For some reason they can just never get the relative speeds of thrown baseballs, baserunners, and running fielders right, so you end up being able to stretch every single into a homerun (because the throws are so slow) on offense and then never being able to get anyone out on defense except by strikeout. Once when I was bedridden for a week (after a car accident) I spent most of that time playing Baseball Stars and powered up all my players as far as they could go...and they still couldn't throw people out. Seriously, a grounder to the thirdbaseman should be almost an automatic out. That was the turning point for me with that game and I haven't played it since. :(

I have World Series Baseball 2K1 for the Dreamcast and...yeah. What were they thinking? :lol:

I'm partial to Home Run myself, since I can get a game in in five minutes. "Realisn" in Atari VCS games isn't that huge a deal to me.

Major League Baseball on the Intellivision is also a favorite (yeh, I play both sides at Plimpton Field). I've never played World Series Baseball for the ECS, but it looks incredible. I still need that one for my Intellivision collection. Wasn't there a one-player version of MLB that came out after INTV took over? Or am I thinking of Super Pro Football?

Realsports Baseball on the 5200 is also nice (with voice even!), but I generally find myself unable to sit through an entire game.

Those are my tops. There are better, more advanced baseball games out there, but I like the simplicity of the old games.

Wasn't there a one-player version of MLB that came out after INTV took over? Or am I thinking of Super Pro Football?

World Championship Baseball was MLB with a few enhancements and a 1-player vs CPU mode

good game, but it is not as common as MLB and will cost you a few more dollars

you know, sony's "the show" series on the next gen consoles is actually my fave. i was racking my brain to think of some wacky classic that i may have enjoyed more, being a big NES/Genesis era guy, but this is really it.

the level of realism is absolutely staggering, it looks incredible in 1080p HD, the batting and pitching mechanics are even more on point.

the demo for MLB 09 is up on PSN right now, by the way, if you're looking to check it out.

Were the Hardball games from the DOS era any good?

Chris

I downloaded a playable demo of one of them back then, and I liked it. I didn't really get to play the whole game though.

I'll just grab one of them off the web and check it out.

Where are you from in Northern California?

Chris

that commercial is even rarer than the game! :)

i mean not even Keith Robinson seems to have it