IGNORED

Best Baseball Videogame Ever.

vdub_bobby

Were the Hardball games from the DOS era any good?

Chris

I downloaded a playable demo of one of them back then, and I liked it. I didn't really get to play the whole game though.

I'll just grab one of them off the web and check it out.

Where are you from in Northern California?

Chris

Foresthill. Used to live in Folsom a few years ago.

Actually the way it says "from" makes me think I was supposed to put where I grew up or something. I grew up in the midwest.

Edited by gdement

I was always a big fan of the Baseball Simulator 1000 games for the NES and SNES. My favorites for the newer consoles are MLB Power Pros for the PS2 and The Bigs for the X360. Even though it's technically not baseball, Dusty Diamond's All Star Softball for the NES is awesome too. That game gets really fun if you play it on NesterDC on the Dreamcast at double speed!

Baseball Simulator 1.000 - SNES (NES version was good too)

Others...

RBI Baseball NES

Baseball Stars NES

Bases Loaded NES

I could never really get into the Bases Loaded series. I think the perspective of batting while looking in from behind the pitcher never worked for me. Some of my old grade school friends used to love the series, back in the day.

A game that most assuredly doesn't belong on this list, but of which I have fond memories: Color Baseball for the Tandy CoCo. I figured out how to break the AI at a pretty young age -- as I recall, there was some way to get it to let me steal bases repeatedly. I think my high score was 93-0, and probably could've been much higher if I hadn't gotten bored and/or lazy. Still, the four-part harmonized version of the national anthem was a nice touch, considering the limited sound hardware of the CoCo, and I had fun with it in its day.

Another game that doesn't belong on this list: Super Bases Loaded 3 for the SNES. The fielding is totally broken and unplayable, and the voice samples for the umpire are hilariously fey.

Edited by thegoldenband