IGNORED

Which system/games had the coolest packaging?

Lee9977

Which system/games had the coolest packaging?

in some cases, people who knew little about consoles and just wanted to get in the game may have got sucked in by slick displays, boxes etc. On the other hand, for some the great looks of the packaging just add to the overall greatness of the system/games.

Always enjoy the informed opinion of the fine people at AtariAge,

cheers

Lee

Let's see.. Always had a soft spot for colorfull NES boxes... BRIGHT yellow Super Mario Bros. 3 comes to mind... Genesis plastic snap lock boxes are really nice and sturdy and display really well. I actually like the bright yellow 32X boxes too. Jaguar boxes look great being all black. Really makes the cover art come out nice. Neo Geo cart boxes are AWESOME. :D I like Saturn and PS longboxes... SNES & N64 boxes are just so so. Of course Japanese boxes are AWESOME with all kinds of art etc.

Props:

NES - Bright, colorful boxes held each game like a holy relic.

Gameboy/Virtual Boy - teensy little boxes with very classy templates.

Genesis/SMS - Box doubles as a display case to protect the game. Doesn't really explain why so many games I find look like crap. *shrug*

Notsomuch:

SNES/N64 - Goofy oblongish boxes make me think they tried to emulate the NES look and got it all wrong. Those cases would NEVER sit straight on a peghook!

SegaCD - Jewel cases don't tolerate much abuse, even new games would look like crap.

PS1/PS2 - Doesn't look any different than regular CDs and DVDs. Way to make your product look boring!

As far as systems, the NES was always pretty cool with its giant boxes (especially the deluxe set!). It really felt like you were bringing home $200 worth of stuff. I feel the same way about most of the PS1 releases. On the other hand, I can't think of an Xbox system that didn't look totally boring from the packaging (good thing the games make up for it!)

I think the best were the silver Imagic boxes.

Second best were the Intellivision gatefold boxes, which they used extensively.

Third best were the original, plastic boxes used for Sega Genesis carts.

Although I gotta give props to Atari's 8-bit line: a box about 9" by 12" by 2", metal cartridges, and full-color 8.5"x11" manuals pre-drilled for a three-ring binder. That was classy.

Despite the games contained therein, I think Froggo boxes are nice. Makes you sad their 2600 output wasn't a little more like their 7800 output (at least there the package holds a decent cart).

That's something I don't get about Froggo. I mean, they had the money for nice packaging (the boxes are even shiny), and they had an attractive enough logo, and on the 7800 it appears they knew what was at least marginally fun. So why not buy some mediocre games from someone at least. Why Karate?

My fave has always been the Odyssey 2 packaging. They were very unique with their combination black and orange glossy boxes . And games like quest for the rings and conquest of the world with the gold trim and labels, their game instructions remind me of a wedding invitation. completely over the top.

The early Intellivision games. The game box opens up like a book and on one side you had the cartridge nicely tucked in a cut-out piece of plastice that held the cartridge firmly and on the other side you had a nice cut out slot where both the color manual and two overlays stayed in place.

As time went on this design changed (for cost savings) manuals became black/white and they became cheaper looking and feeling.

I was fond of the Atari silver era. I kept my Atari 5200 system box and the boxes for the games for a long time (until the late 90s) because I thought they looked so cool.

Imagic game boxes weren't quite as cool because they were too flashy. The Atari silver boxes had an understatement about them which I felt was a very good aesthetic.

My fave has always been the Odyssey 2 packaging. They were very unique with their combination black and orange glossy boxes . And games like quest for the rings and conquest of the world with the gold trim and labels, their game instructions remind me of a wedding invitation. completely over the top.

A friend of mine had an O2, and I remember when we got out "Quest for the Rings". Wow, that was a classy production, never seen anything else like it.

It would have been awesome to combine those production values with a Dungeons & Dragons license.

For old stuff, definately the atari 2600. All thos bright, colorful boxes from activision, Imagic and atari.

For the 16-bit era, I'd go with the PC-Engine (damn sexy consoles and those awesome Hucards) and the Neo Geo, which is huge, sexy, and has some awesome box art on the hardback-novel sized carts.

My faves:

I like the 7800 for early systems, since the boxes are all pretty uniform to each other.

In later systems, the Saturn and the Hyperscan have it hands down. The Saturn's long boxes, if you can keep them in good shape, add a kind of polish to the artwork. The metallic red on Hyperscan boxes reminds me of the excitement I feel when entering a theater to see a particular movie for the first time. That red kinda looks like a theater curtain to me.

Cardboard boxes are cheesy and terrible if you ask me. That's one thing I've always faulted Nintendo and Atari for.

Here are my picks:

1. Neo Geo AES

Simply glorious. Great art, hard shell, and absolutely massive.

2. SEGA Genesis

Again hard shell, and these were actually colorful and interesting as opposed to the bland checkers of the Master System boxes.