IGNORED

King of Kong

Pengwin

Hi people,

Yes, I am still alive, just been away from the Atari retro scene for a while.

Anyway, I recently watched King of Kong (details here on Wikipedia), and it has got me revisiting a LOT of retro games, not just Donkey Kong (the A8 version is still my favourite), but also Atari Invaders, Millipede, Donkey Kong Jr, and others.

It's also rekindled my interest in retro games and retro platforms, as always the A8 is at the forefront of these.

So anyway, just wanted to say hi to everyone and good to see a lot of familiar faces still here, I also hope to be much more active in the forums in the future.

Hi people,

Anyway, I recently watched King of Kong (details here on Wikipedia), and it has got me revisiting a LOT of retro games, not just Donkey Kong (the A8 version is still my favourite), but also Atari Invaders, Millipede, Donkey Kong Jr, and others.

It's also rekindled my interest in retro games and retro platforms, as always the A8 is at the forefront of these.

So anyway, just wanted to say hi to everyone and good to see a lot of familiar faces still here, I also hope to be much more active in the forums in the future.

Hi Pengwin,

glad to see you back where you belong :D

Thanks mimo, good to be back.

I figure Atari is like an addiction, you never get it out of your system completely, it's just the length of time between fixes that varies. :D

Although i don't have the room for my 800XL to be set up here , I have been taken such a trip down memory lane, that the emulator by Atarimac has been working overtime recently.

Thanks mimo, good to be back.

I figure Atari is like an addiction, you never get it out of your system completely, it's just the length of time between fixes that varies. :D

Although i don't have the room for my 800XL to be set up here , I have been taken such a trip down memory lane, that the emulator by Atarimac has been working overtime recently.

Welcome back, Pengwin!

You'll find a lot has been going on in your absence.

Don't want to spoil it for you so enjoy your reading ;-)

- Steve Sheppard

Hi Pengwin,

Long time, no see.

I liked that documentary too. It interesting to read the Wikipedia article and follow the links to see just how much was spliced and edited to make it looks like there was a lot more drama going on than there really was. It also got me to thinking about if there's any one game I might be better at than anyone else in the world (and how much effort if any I'd be willing to expend to make sure I was recognized as the best.)

Anyway, fun movie. Last time I checked TG it was still those two going back and forth on the DK highscore list.

Hi Pengwin,

Long time, no see.

I liked that documentary too. It interesting to read the Wikipedia article and follow the links to see just how much was spliced and edited to make it looks like there was a lot more drama going on than there really was. It also got me to thinking about if there's any one game I might be better at than anyone else in the world (and how much effort if any I'd be willing to expend to make sure I was recognized as the best.)

Anyway, fun movie. Last time I checked TG it was still those two going back and forth on the DK highscore list.

I checked out Twin Galaxies for hi scores I might attempt. The best I have managed so far is about 500 points short of the Atari Invaders high score.

According to the statements from Walter Day, there was quite a bit of creative editing in that movie which not only caused Billy Mitchell to come off in a bad light, but various events have been moved around, distorting the timing, and therefore relevance, of certain facts.

But saying that, I still thoroughly enjoyed the movie.

Hi people,

Hi Guys,

Hope to see you playing in the HSC... Looks like DK will be the game for the next two weeks... you've still got time to vote :cool:

According to the statements from Walter Day, there was quite a bit of creative editing in that movie which not only caused Billy Mitchell to come off in a bad light, but various events have been moved around, distorting the timing, and therefore relevance, of certain facts.

I'm glad to hear that, because I just watched it last night, and I couldn't stand Billy Mitchell and his cronies... Brain Kuh and that other dude that just kept phoning Billy to "report" in, and doing everything in their power to disrupt the guys game. I'm sure he (Billy Mitchell) isn't as much of a dic* as that movie makes him out to be (and the wikipedia article I just read confirms that.)

I'm glad to hear that, because I just watched it last night, and I couldn't stand Billy Mitchell and his cronies... Brain Kuh and that other dude that just kept phoning Billy to "report" in, and doing everything in their power to disrupt the guys game. I'm sure he (Billy Mitchell) isn't as much of a dic* as that movie makes him out to be (and the wikipedia article I just read confirms that.)

The sad thing about this movie is it had bred a bunch of idiots who this day spam TG with flame msgs that you wouldnt want repeated to your family. The amount of hate folks have over a video game competition is unbelieveable.

Funny that Video Games are treated different than other sports. You think TO vs Jeff Garcia generated the kind of immature response this has.......

The sad thing about this movie is it had bred a bunch of idiots who this day spam TG with flame msgs that you wouldnt want repeated to your family. The amount of hate folks have over a video game competition is unbelieveable.

Funny that Video Games are treated different than other sports. You think TO vs Jeff Garcia generated the kind of immature response this has.......

It is a shame that it engenders so much hate but frankly the internet is absolutely PACKED with it - and i've seen JUST as much obscenity concerning sports, religion, politics, TV shows, just about anything online, including games and games consoles. So No, I don't believe its ANY different from any other realm of internet hate.

When some Glasgow Rangers fans were arrested in Manchester the sheer venom from Glasgow Celtic fans was something that had to be seen to be disbelieved.

Having said that TG brought it down on their own heads - if they had not provided the ammunition this probably wouldn't have happened.

It basically boils down to the apparent favouritism shown by TG to one of its own

TG to Wiebe - your tape is inadmissable, excuse me while i try and break your concentration whilst not even pronouncing your name correctly

TG to Mitchell (even with a shockingly poor quality tape) - oh yes sir i'll put up your new score this very instant sir, can i kiss your boots sir?

Yes TG took the score down a couple of days later, but frankly their reputation is shot. They don't look capable of being impartial. Even THEY have had to admit they behaved badly.

In addition, the childish behaviour of those around BM together with some really stupid things he said really made the job of making him look like a pompous, hypocritical a** all the easier.

Edited by Atari_Owl

Owl you should really read who badly modified the final movie was.

If you ever watch the Simpsons there is an old episode where Homer takes the babysitter home and finds a piece of candy - anyhow, it reminds me of the TV interview Homer gives that is spliced and diced to come out wrong.

Im also not sure where TG admitted behaving badly?

I liked the movie for three reasons:

1. It was entertaining.

2. It was about a local guy.

3. It was about a world I thoroughly understand, and so it was easy-ish for me to see how distorted the final film was. That's really helped me adjust my outlook towards all other documentaries, many of which are also really entertaining, but I may not have the depth and breadth of experience in the particular area to know if I'm being manipulated. So for me, KoK was kind of an exercise in critical thinking.