IGNORED

What PS3 games are you currently playing?

HammR25

I've been playing the Japan exclusive 'Spelunker Collection'. It includes the 8-bit computer version, NES (Famicom) version, and two mid-80s arcade games. I'd never played the Spelunker arcade games before. They're quite different from the home versions... more secrets, lots of enemies, mini bosses, and you don't die when you fall off a rope.

It seems the play pile is endless and like most people on this site I also go back and play old SNES or Atari stuff and that wastes more time! :P

Some of my PS3 games are still in the shrink-wrap… Stick of Truth, Skyrim, Wolfenstein, Neverdead, WWE Allstars, Star Wars Complete, Battlefield blah, Metal Gear blah, :lol:

Some of my PS3 games are still in the shrink-wrap… Stick of Truth, Skyrim, Wolfenstein, Neverdead, WWE Allstars, Star Wars Complete, Battlefield blah, Metal Gear blah, :lol:

All of my PS3 games (Except like 2-4) were in shrinkwrap still until I upgraded my harddrive from 160gb to 1TB a year or so ago. At that point I figured "Well, I have the space now, might as well go through all the games and install whatever expects to be installed, and download whatever patches they need."

End result seemed to have a 1/3 1/3 1/3 split. 1/3 didn't have install options, 1/3 had optional installs, 1/3 had required installs. More or less. And the way they went about it varied between each as well. Some would tell you how much diskspace they required, some wouldn't. some would give you a chance to not do the required install (but exit the game) while others would just go straight for it - hopefully checking for diskspace but I had no way of knowing.

• Like 1

At start of my days off, i told myself i was going to start on Dragon's Dogma...

What happened was i completed F.E.A.R 3 for 2nd time (no idea why), then started on my NG+ on Dark Souls 2 and thought, i've been sat here looking at that bloody PSN pre-paid card i put aside in hope of TxK coming to PS3 for so long now....
I bought all 3 lots of DLC for Dark Souls 2 instead.

Game over for my PS3. After 4.5 years of almost daily service it turned into a brick last weekend. It started freezing with increased frequency until it wouldn't even boot up anymore. I tried all 4 options from the safe-mode, but it wouldn't even spring back to life when trying a reset to factory defaults incl. formatting the hard drive... :sad:

At least I still managed to copy the copy-enabled game-saves, which is about 2/3 of them.

I've a couple of questions now, maybe you guys can answer some:
Is switching to a new PS3 system a smooth transaction?
I assume you can download trophy data somehow?
I hope it is possible to deactivate a dead system from my PSN Profile?
Also heard you have to call the hotline for getting your SingStar library back?

Is switching to a new PS3 system a smooth transaction?

I assume you can download trophy data somehow?

I hope it is possible to deactivate a dead system from my PSN Profile?

Also heard you have to call the hotline for getting your SingStar library back?

I still have my 60gb fat, I guess I'm lucky but I replaced the hard drive twice, the last time was a few years ago.

- When switching to a new PS3 it can be easy and it can also be a chore if you have ton of stuff.....it's easy if its planned...you make a back up and restore it to the new PS3. Takes forever but it works.

Otherwise like a system fail you have to download all your digital purchases manually which can take a long time. Awful if you have over 500 items.

So basically: get your new PS3, hook it up, activate it and then copy any save files over that you managed to get off your old machine. You can then take your time and download anything else you bought whenever you want. (Deactivate the old machine online)

- You can deactivate your consoles\handhelds online here

- Trophy data is cloud based so when you get the new PS3 your last synched trophy data will download automatically.

- I'm not sure about Singstar.....

Thanks cimerians, that's mostly good news for the moment. I only have a handful of download games I'd possibly want to restore, so the bunch of work will go into reinstalling/patching my ~40 disc titles.

What I still haven't decided yet is how to replace the system as such. The cheapest PS3 I could possibly get from eBay is the 80G model for ~80€.
Yet for 125€ plus shipping I'd get a new 320G Slim from Sony if I'm reading things right from their support pages.

I tend to bite the bullet and go for a factory sealed replacement, even if it's over 50€ more, what do you think?

What I still haven't decided yet is how to replace the system as such. The cheapest PS3 I could possibly get from eBay is the 80G model for ~80€.

Yet for 125€ plus shipping I'd get a new 320G Slim from Sony if I'm reading things right from their support pages.

I tend to bite the bullet and go for a factory sealed replacement, even if it's over 50€ more, what do you think?

I would get the sealed one if that doesn't hurt your budget.

Even though I mainly use a fat this is my favorite model:

41CfgE6CYAL._AA160_.jpg

I read a lot of good things about it and I have one as a spare that we use to watch netflix on. It's solid and never had any issues with it.

I'm not familiar with the latest "super slims". I hear different opinions on them. So yeah, I'd definitely get a new sealed one if you can.

• Like 1

I have a pair of Slims myself. They were 160GB models instead of 320 though - same machine, just different harddrive. But I'm replacing those harddrives with 1TB drives. My primary PS3 already has a 1TB drive, and close to 500gigs already used on it. The secondary PS3 will be getting it's upgrade within a couple months. :)

Not sure what the full range of opinions are on the superslims, although I do hear that they feel "cheap" by comparison which is why I went out and looked for remaining Slims when I got my secondary unit as the super slims were already out for several months by then.

My 320G slim had the Blu Ray drive die after about two years of light/moderate use. I deactivated it and recently reformatted it, but I haven't gotten around to sending it in for repair.

I replaced it with a 500G superslim. It has been much more heavily used since during it's watch I've retired the 360 and Wii and it has become my undisputed primary console. No problems so far. ::knock on wood::

The door is cheap, but at least I don't have to worry about it eating one of my discs like my original 60G did (requiring me to take the whole system apart in order to retrieve my disc).

My 320G slim had the Blu Ray drive die after about two years of light/moderate use.

Since my Wii had its disc drive broken, I decided early on to invest into an extra Blue Ray player for movies so the PS3 Blue Ray drive had less work. I guess it kinda worked, as mine probably rather has grilled Flash or RAMs now.

Since my Wii had its disc drive broken, I decided early on to invest into an extra Blue Ray player for movies so the PS3 Blue Ray drive had less work. I guess it kinda worked, as mine probably rather has grilled Flash or RAMs now.

I did the same, resulting in the PS3 only making use of the disc drive for actual PS3 games. And when it comes to PS3 games, I made sure I installed everything that could install to reduce the use on the drive further, and there's been a couple of times where I bought the digital version of a game I had the disc for when it went supercheap on PSN - for games I play a lot of anyway.

My own PS3 use varies anyway, so saying my console is still kicking fine after 3-4 years isn't overly assuring, since there are times when I'll turn it off for months (Except to download the new freebies etc) and other times when I'll play it for most of the day.

So I FINALLY bought a super slim last week to replace my launch PS3 that died winter of 2011. Right now I'm juggling between 3d Dot Game Heroes, Silent Hill: Homecoming, and the Resistance trilogy. So far I'm really liking 3d Dot Game Heroes and think it's a must own for anyone who likes adventure games. Silent Hill: Homecoming is where the series really faltered, but I'm enjoying the story and I like it more than Silent Hill 4: The Room. I completed the first Resistance back in 2007 but l think it's still pretty fun. Resistance 2 is starting to rub me the wrong way and I'm tempted just to jump over it and play the third one. Those invisible enemies that kill you in one hit really tick me off, but I can look past it. I'm expecting Twisted Metal to come in the mail next week and it looks like it returns the series to greatness, so that has me pretty excited.

Edited by xenomorpher

I was going to dive into Suikoden 2 after finishing the first one, but decided to pull Ni No Kuni out from the to play pile. I think I picked this one up shortly after launch.

Great artistic style and music so far.

Wasn't this the game that had the major pre-order fiasco for some sort of limited edition?

I've been playing some Project Diva F on easy at times and just finished Back to the Future. Been playing Muramasa Rebirth on that Vitatv so I'm kind of hooked on that at the moment.

Right now I'm juggling between 3d Dot Game Heroes, Silent Hill: Homecoming, and the Resistance trilogy.

3D Dot Game Heroes is a nice salute to classic Zelda. I still need to get back to it, I only got to one boss battle I think I remember this centipede like boss I got to in the beginning. I completed both Resistance games but haven't played the third. The second was annoying but overall the story is pretty good, kind of a surprise in the end. I haven't played any Silent Hills yet on modern consoles.

Wasn't this the game that had the major pre-order fiasco for some sort of limited edition?

I think this is it. Looks like they didn't make enough of them. Another game I still haven't gotten through.....

Been playing Muramasa Rebirth on that Vitatv so I'm kind of hooked on that at the moment.

How is Muramasa Rebirth? I didn't enjoy Odin Sphere, but Muramasa Rebirth looks pretty and shiney.

I've been playing some Civilization Revolution recently. I used to play on Emperor difficulty. Now I'm having problems with Warlord. My skills have completely atrophied.

I put in some time with Military Madness: Nectaris. I'm only a few battles in. I probably won't stick with it, though. Increasingly, all it's doing is reminding me I could play Field Commander on my PSP.

Saw that Q*bert Rebooted is on the store, so I played Q*bert 2.0 instead. I had one pretty good game. Then I had six or seven games in a row where I couldn't even get past the first pyramid without dying.

I've been playing Metal Slug X off and on. I remember I didn't think very well of this way back when I got the disc version for my PS1, but now it's scratching my run and gun itch nicely. Since I just hit Continue until I finish, I like how it keeps track of how many credits I've used at the end game screen.

Yep, still playing Project Diva F 2nd. I also picked up Shock Troopers but only played it once so far.

I'm plowing through Ar Nosurge this week and last. Currently somewhere in the 3rd phase. Ar Ciel is pretty with it's land. I can almost see how the colony ship is going to end up at this point... >_>

For those that are worried about the potential story-breaking bug in phase 2 (if the internet is to be believed) then gamefaqs does have a FAQ that can be used as a guide. I hit a few places that looked like they might be story freezing bugs, but in those cases they ended up being me not knowing where I was suppose to go to continue the story since they don't always tell you. At those points you go visit every location you can find until an event begins... Not sure if I cleared both of the girl's geometrics or not... I found Ion's overall story more interesting.

Still playing Project Diva F 2nd as well. Still trying to get perfects on Hard, which is... hard. >_> But I did try a few attempts at random Extreme songs again, managing to clear several of them just barely with an Standard. Got a E on one and a G on another on Extreme although I can't remember which ones they were again off the top of my head. ^^

• Like 1

How is Muramasa Rebirth? I didn't enjoy Odin Sphere, but Muramasa Rebirth looks pretty and shiney.

Odin Sphere was too hard for me but this game is easier as there are two difficulty settings with a third unlocked after beating the game. It's a 2D sidescrolling fighting game with RPG elements like leveling up and using health items etc. The main objective in the game is finding or forging swords to unlock new areas and help you beat bosses. You can pick from two characters and the DLC for this game has more characters to choose from. To me its more of an arcade game where you keep going fighting bosses and repeat....kind of like Final Fight except that its got fighting game elements like combo's, special moves, blocking etc.

It can get a little repetitive like most of those beat em' ups but that's the whole point of beat em ups right? :P The only other thing that can be bothersome is you have save points (at least on easy) so you may be stuck playing the game for a bit before getting to a save point to quit.

You can't go wrong with this if you like fighters and beat em' ups so I think its worth it.

Oh yeah, it looks fantastic especially on the Vita handheld, the Vita TV stretches it out a bit but it still looks great. The menu system, the music is also well done. Overall its just a good game to have. Easy enough for casuals who just want to experience the story and not get frustrated and potentially hard enough for hardcore players. Obviously I don't have the third difficulty unlocked yet.

This review nails it and explains the game a lot more:

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2013/07/08/muramasa-rebirth-review-vita/

By the way, its usually on sale on the PSN store and its only 700mb I think.

3D Dot Game Heroes is a nice salute to classic Zelda. I still need to get back to it, I only got to one boss battle I think I remember this centipede like boss I got to in the beginning. I completed both Resistance games but haven't played the third. The second was annoying but overall the story is pretty good, kind of a surprise in the end. I haven't played any Silent Hills yet on modern consoles.

Yeah I'm enjoying 3D Dot Game Heroes. It gets real tougher in the second dungeon. I've been giving it a break because I found out that the Demon's Souls servers, which is my absolute favorite in the series, are still online. The newer Silent Hills aren't nearly as good as the older ones, but I think they're better than the "worst" Resident Evil games. Silent Hill Downpour would have been a great game if the enemy designs were more inspired. They give you a decent amount of room to explore and a number of side quests. I think it's better than Homecoming overall and I'm actually playing through it again.

I played some of the newer Twisted Metal and can't believe how hard it is. They don't even have an easy difficulty setting, seriously what were they thinking? I tried challenge mode on the lowest difficulty, "Normal", to get down the controls and such. But the enemies swarm you and ram you to the point you can't move fast or at all to get health/weapons because either their car is on top of you or vice versa. Like Cousin Eddie would have said "I ain't seen a beating like that since somebody stuck a banana in my pants and turned a monkey loose." It's ridiculously hard to the point I laugh or get frustrated because it's on the lowest difficulty. The single player I don't think was this bad, but I figured the enemies would have behaved the same since it's on normal and there is no Instant Action option. If the single player missions get harder then I'm screwed. I might just have to come back to this someday which stinks since I've only had it since Monday.

Edited by xenomorpher

I finished Okami HD about a week ago and currently working on Red Faction Armageddon.
I wasn't sure about it at first, but then a wave of delight washed over me with repeated (and often funny) use of the magnet gun.
Not sure what I'll do next, but I've got a large pile that is consistently growing.

• Like 1