IGNORED

7800 vs. 2600

rorysl

Hey, as mentioned in a separate thread I finally got a 7800! I've been collecting 2600 carts for a long time and have a fair-sized collection. Was wondering about titles available in both 2600 and 7800 form. Since I know the 7800 is backwards compatible I was wondering if there were any titles that are vastly improved given a 7800 makeover and are worth douple dipping. I know the obvious answer is "all of them" but I'm looking for titles that are really worth rebuying in 7800 format.

Fortunately, most of the titles available on 2600 and 7800 are pretty common, so shouldn't be hard to get BOTH versions! That doesn't answer your question really, but it's my thought on the issue.

I really like some of the 7800 titles that aren't on the 2600 like Ballblazer, Robotron, Jinks, Xevious and Food Fight.

Centipede, Dig Dug, Asteroids, Desert Falcon, Ms Pac Man, and Joust I think are all significantly better on the 7800, but of those, I think Ms Pac Man and Joust are just as playable on 2600.

Edited by Mirage1972

Cool! That's great info guys...just out of curiousity, how many games were released in both 2600 and 7800 incarnations?

This site has an incredible archive of information to browse. Start at the top page and look at the links on the left. You'll find most general background info there, including lists of all the games that aren't perfect, but are pretty good. Another good resource is atarimania.com

Edited by Mirage1972

Cool! That's great info guys...just out of curiousity, how many games were released in both 2600 and 7800 incarnations?

Here's a list of ones that I can remember from the commercial life of 2600 and 7800 systems. Almost half of the games ever released on the 7800 also appeared on the 2600. In the latter half of the 1980s, companies would do the (IMO) silly thing of having a 7800 version and then a 2600 version marked as "for 2600 and 7800" without necessarily explaining that a 7800- specific version existed! I remember bringing home my 7800, plugging in my old 2600 WINTER GAMES and expecting the title to transform into the graphics that I saw on the back of the 7800 box!

1. Centipede
  2. Asteroids
  3. Dig Dug
  4. Joust
  5. Ms. Pac-Man
  6. Desert Falcon
  7. Summer Games (7800 version published by Atari, 2600 version published by Epyx)
  8. Winter Games (7800 version published by Atari, 2600 version published by Epyx
  9. RealSports Baseball
  10. Crack'ed (not sure this was actually released on 2600, though it was announced)
  11. Dark Chambers
  12. Commando (7800 published by Atari, 2600 version published by Activision)
  13. Crossbow
  14. Donkey Kong
  15. Donkey Kong Junior
  16. Mario Bros.
  17. Fatal Run
  18. Xenophobe
  19. Ikari Warriors
  20. Sentinel (I believe this was announced for 2600 but I could be wrong)
  21. Kung Fu Master
  22. Title Match Pro Wrestling
  23. Pete Rose Baseball
  24. Tomcat F-14 Flight Simulator
  25. Rampage
  26. Double Dragon
  27. Klax (2600 was released, 7800 was later released after the commercial life of the 7800 had ended)

Save Mary was on both consoles as well. It is on the Flashback 2.

7800 carts aren't terribly difficult to get. Try for a whole set! :)

Oh, yeah Space Invaders was released as a home brew recently in 7800 format. If you can find a copy, buy it. It has a simpler game select interface that the 2600 counterpart. Otherwise, I think everything is all there.

1. Crack'ed (not sure this was actually released on 2600, though it was announced)
  2. Sentinel (I believe this was announced for 2600 but I could be wrong)
  3. Klax (2600 was released, 7800 was later released after the commercial life of the 7800 had ended)

Nice list!

Here's a few updates:

Cracked was only a proto on the 2600

Sentinel was released for the 2600. 7800 version was released only in PAL format, NTSC is proto only

2600 Klax was only released in PAL format, the NTSC 2600 and 7800 versions are both protos

Save Mary was on both consoles as well.

Save Mary was not released for the 7800. The one Video 61 is selling is just the 2600 version on a 7800 cart board.

Mitch

IMO... all of them are better on the 7800. But I recommend owning both if you can... why not?

I'm in agreement with the exception of Winter Games. I actually found the 2600 version of that a bit more fun even though the 7800's graphics were substantially better. Had a few extra events that I quite liked.

PS - I made this rough mockup years ago for a website on the 7800 that I've never finished. Shows a few of the games side by side. Design is a bit crude but you get the idea.

post-1046-1235477806_thumb.jpg

Edited by DracIsBack

Wouldn't hurt to have a website like that up -- the graphics comparisons are really clear.

At the time I did it, there were some debates on one of the big video game forums (can't remember which) over the first "backwards compatible" system. Lots of PS2 fanboys were claiming it was the very first system to offer backwards compatibility out of the box. Someone brought up the 7800 and there were a lot of dismissive responses like "yeah, but that was just a 2600 with a different name ... it had no new real graphical capabilities."

Lots of misinformation about the 7800 out there but that one always bugged me. Especially when you play the bobsled event in Winter Games on the 2600 and then again on the 7800.