IGNORED

"Shower Scene" 2600 game

jrok

I would be more interested in a male version, but I am in the minority, I am sure of that

Actually you are the second one on the thread to suggest that, so maybe not such a small minority after all. Maybe someone can do a male hack after the game is complete? I wouldn't have a problem with that.

and you are wrong,

there was a famous horror movie with male shower scene

post-6602-1235679107_thumb.jpg

post-6602-1235679120_thumb.jpg

Aha! Yes, I forget about that one as well. Definitely a classic. :)

I'll do the hack seeing as your cool with it :) I'll wait for a final version though. Keep up the great work!

Cool game. Different colors for the 2 BO bars would be better and\or with the words UPPER and LOWER in the bars. Also an end screen for when you are clean and just ditch the score table all together. Very original game, I like it alot. Do you plan on making an alternate version with a male protaganist?

EDIT: The name "Shower Power" or "Don't Drop The Soap" seems like a good name for something like this, maybe for the other version?

Why do you want a shower scene with a man? Just asking, don't get offended heh.

Edited by White Knight

Why I'm posting on this thread I have no idea.... Maybe I'm the piano player who thinks the whorehouse should have good music.

I was doing that by flickering the ball in an insane, completely convoluted way. For some reason I thought I could eventually make each ball look like a falling stream of water... nope, I couldn't. :(

With a custom kernel, it would indeed be possible to do that, thus allowing the main sprite to be displayed without flicker or to use flicker or flicker-blinds to add more color to the main sprite. I'm not quite sure what the enemy is supposed to be, but if it will always have vertical separation with the main sprite there should be no problem with displaying it and the main sprite simultaneously.

Adding some more intermediate frames when moving would improve things. Your rotation demo before was very nice.

I was driving myself nuts trimming the spritelines as it was... even a simple pair of Capris pants might have put me in the mental hospital!

I wasn't even considering that batari Basic uses a 2-line standard kernel. The fact that you were able to create such a great-looking sprite without single-line resolution is very impressive! :)

Michael

I was driving myself nuts trimming the spritelines as it was... even a simple pair of Capris pants might have put me in the mental hospital!

I wasn't even considering that batari Basic uses a 2-line standard kernel. The fact that you were able to create such a great-looking sprite without single-line resolution is very impressive! :)

Michael

Thanks Michael! It was so grueling at times, that I've actually begun work on a bB-friendly animation IDE to share with the community. Basically the frontend will function a lot like an old fashioned light box program and output batari basic code. One of the features I'm incorporting will be automated splitting and flickering of large sprites like this one, as well as onion-shell frame tracing, live animation previews and framerate adjustment. If I can flesh it out somewhat, perhaps it will be a nice little tool for non-programmer graphic artists to get more involved in the bB development process.

Cheers and thanks for the good vibes.

Jarod.

Why I'm posting on this thread I have no idea.... Maybe I'm the piano player who thinks the whorehouse should have good music.

....ouch :sad:

I was doing that by flickering the ball in an insane, completely convoluted way. For some reason I thought I could eventually make each ball look like a falling stream of water... nope, I couldn't. :(

With a custom kernel, it would indeed be possible to do that, thus allowing the main sprite to be displayed without flicker or to use flicker or flicker-blinds to add more color to the main sprite. I'm not quite sure what the enemy is supposed to be, but if it will always have vertical separation with the main sprite there should be no problem with displaying it and the main sprite simultaneously.

You know, I've heard the term "flicker blinds" tossed around before, but I'm not sure I understand what it is. I assume that it has to do with an interlaced display. If there is a good explanation of it on AA, could you point me in the right direction?

Adding some more intermediate frames when moving would improve things. Your rotation demo before was very nice.

Thanks! I actually started out with many more tween frames, including a turning animation for switching directions. I guess the main problem is that my sprite is so huge the extra frames weren't leaving much room in my graphics bank for anything else. I'm not happy with the current state of the sprite...the walk cycle is too robotic, and I am not sure why anyone would wear their hair in a pony tail while taking a shower. I will revisit her look after I can get all my game mechanics and difficulty logic in place.

Cheers,

Jarod.

Well, nice game, but there is no sound yet, and also there doesn't seem to be an ending if you've made it to completely clean yourself.

Thanks! And you're absolutely right... the game mechanics are sort of in limbo right now, and there's not much game here so far. I'm sort of stuck right now on creating a frictional surface, which I think will drive some of the difficulty. I'm not sure if I want the game to necessarily end when you are clean. Instead, I think I will have the level end, autowalk the character off screen and have the score graphics display "Day 2", "Day3" etc. This sort of progression might be a good way to introduce new enemies and game mechanics, and ramp up the horror elements.

Cheers,

Jarod

If I can flesh it out somewhat, perhaps it will be a nice little tool for non-programmer graphic artists to get more involved in the bB development process.

I for one, as a non-programmer (graphic designer) would love a tool like that to work on sprites and animations for games as well. If you need someone to beta, I'd love to see it. :)

You know, I've heard the term "flicker blinds" tossed around before, but I'm not sure I understand what it is. I assume that it has to do with an interlaced display. If there is a good explanation of it on AA, could you point me in the right direction?

The basic concept behind flicker is that the display alternates between states on (typically) alternate frames. Having large areas of the screen flicker can be very annoying. The idea behind flicker blinds is that rather than having solid areas of the screen flicker between two states, alternate lines of the screen will have the opposite state. As a simple example, one could show an object in a mixture of show tan, pink, and magenta by setting the sprite color to tan and displaying the tan and pink parts, and the setting the sprite color to magenta and displaying the pink and magenta parts. The pink parts would flicker between tan and magenta on alternate frames; the other parts would alternate between being displayed and not being displayed. Depending upon the nature and shape of the tan and pink parts, the flicker here may or may not be objectionable.

A second approach is to have the sprite color alternate between tan and magenta every scan line, keeping the mapping constant from frame to frame. This approach works, but the color striping may in some cases be objectionable. Further, it effectively negates half of one's vertical resolution.

A third approach is to combine the above two approaches: on one frame, make the even scan lines tan and the odd scan lines magenta, and on the next frame make the even scan lines magenta and the odd ones tan. In some cases, having alternate scan lines flicker alternately will make the flicker less noticeable; in other cases, it will make it more noticeable. I'll post a kernel demo later tonight to show the different approaches.

Nice game, jrok. In addition to the obvious eye-candy, you've got some innovative gameplay. If I had more free time, I'd volunteer to make a flicker-free kernel for you.

Thanks Zach! Honestly this project started out as a sprite looking for a game, but as a gamer I am very hardcore when it comes to play mechanics. I think I'm going to pretend the graphics don't even exist until I get the automata up and running.

Cheers,

Jarod.

Edited by jrok

I would be more interested in a male version, but I am in the minority, I am sure of that

Actually you are the second one on the thread to suggest that, so maybe not such a small minority after all. Maybe someone can do a male hack after the game is complete? I wouldn't have a problem with that.

and you are wrong,

there was a famous horror movie with male shower scene

post-6602-1235679107_thumb.jpg

post-6602-1235679120_thumb.jpg

Aha! Yes, I forget about that one as well. Definitely a classic. :)

I'll do the hack seeing as your cool with it :) I'll wait for a final version though. Keep up the great work!

Just make sure he has a big beer belly and hairy back.

The basic concept behind flicker is that the display alternates between states on (typically) alternate frames.

That's the sort of flicker I'm using here. The color loss is not so bad with phopsor emulation, but it would be great to minimize it.

The idea behind flicker blinds is that rather than having solid areas of the screen flicker between two states, alternate lines of the screen will have the opposite state. As a simple example, one could show an object in a mixture of show tan, pink, and magenta by setting the sprite color to tan and displaying the tan and pink parts, and the setting the sprite color to magenta and displaying the pink and magenta parts. The pink parts would flicker between tan and magenta on alternate frames; the other parts would alternate between being displayed and not being displayed. Depending upon the nature and shape of the tan and pink parts, the flicker here may or may not be objectionable.

A second approach is to have the sprite color alternate between tan and magenta every scan line, keeping the mapping constant from frame to frame. This approach works, but the color striping may in some cases be objectionable. Further, it effectively negates half of one's vertical resolution.

Thank you very much for the explanation, supercat. Could that technique still work with a 2 line kernel, or would the color have to alternate every third scanline instead?

A third approach is to combine the above two approaches: on one frame, make the even scan lines tan and the odd scan lines magenta, and on the next frame make the even scan lines magenta and the odd ones tan. In some cases, having alternate scan lines flicker alternately will make the flicker less noticeable; in other cases, it will make it more noticeable. I'll post a kernel demo later tonight to show the different approaches.

Thanks!

Jarod.

Thank you very much for the explanation, supercat. Could that technique still work with a 2 line kernel, or would the color have to alternate every third scanline instead?

If you aren't going to create a custom kernel, you're stuck with whatever can be done with whichever canned kernel you're using. If you're using the standard kernel, you can have a different player color on every line-- but each "line" is really two scan lines. So you can use the "flicker blinds" technique to mix player colors, but each "blind" will be two scan lines wide.

Michael

Okay, there are a few new things going on in this update:

• Implemented sub-pixel movement with friction and velocity. Eventually, I'll make her slip and fall if her velocity exceeds a certain speed limit.
  • New Ducking Move - When the character is not standing under an active shower, she will duck down.
  • Flying Loofah Trick - The ghost now randomly hurls a loofah at the character, which she must duck to avoid falling down. It looks more like a spong than a loofah right now, so I am going to have to work on it a bit. Ultimately, I want to figure out a way for her to capture this item, and use it as a weapon against more dangerous enemies.
  • Fixed the Towel Bug - Now, when you regain your footing, the towel proceeds harmlessly on its path rather than vanishing instantly.

I think from here on out in development I am going to stop explaining new tricks and enemies, to keep things appropriately weird and suspenseful. I will explain new controller moves and major game mechanics as they develop.

Cheers,

Jarod.

Edited by jrok

Ummm... somehow that acceleration thing doesn't always seem to work properly, especially when the woman is on her knees.

Yeah, I noticed that too. If I can't fix it, perhaps I will go with an old time-honored retro programming tradition and just have the manual blame it on "Bad Magic" ;)