IGNORED

Turbografx SuperCD upgrade card?

grandcross

So I bought a Turbografx w/ Turbo CD from goatstore.com , but apparently I didn't do my research because I learned that the Turbo CD upgrade can't play SuperCD games without a SuperCD upgrade card?

I'm completely confused here. So is this SuperCD upgrade card some extra HuCard I need to stick in the Turbografx in order to play SuperCD games? The game I wanted to play was Gates of Thunder + Bonk 1&2, so I guess I can't play it then if I don't have the card?

And..if there's an extra card I need that I won't get from goatstore, then where could I find it? Is it hard to find and very expensive?

sigh. This Turbografx stuff is needlessly complicated :(

Its a memory upgrade, IIRC. Bonk 1 and 2 should be regular games though...? Shouldn't need the upgrade.

The Turbo Duo doesn't need the SuperCD card. Its built in on that system. If you have the classic modular one, the TG16 and the CD player mounted on top, yes, you need the card to play.

The cards are fairly hard to find and fairly expensive. Sorry to say, both things are true. I don't have one, so I can't tell the price. Sold my Duo, kept my CD system. Should have done the opposite.

Ceck out ebay item 190288460236

I don't know the seller, just searched and found this one...

CN

Thanks for the info. The game I was talking about was a SuperCD game that came bundled with the Turbo Duo which included those 3 games in one CD.

And yeah, what I'm getting is the Turbografx + Turbo CD, not the Turbo Duo. Guess I'll need to get the card.

If you are even somewhat interested in getting into NEC goodness, I would dump the TG-CD and get

a Duo-R or Duo-RX. Minus the SGX and the Arcade CD's you can play the whole library.

Thanks for the info. The game I was talking about was a SuperCD game that came bundled with the Turbo Duo which included those 3 games in one CD.

And yeah, what I'm getting is the Turbografx + Turbo CD, not the Turbo Duo. Guess I'll need to get the card.

if you ever want to get rid of that CD, PLEASE let me know :D

In case you didn't know, there is a hidden 4th game, Bomberman, on that CD. I had the game for years before I knew about this. I forget how to unlock it but you can google the procedure.

-edit- found it:

Bomberman on Turbo Duo pack-in CD:

The following code on the Gate of Thunder/Bonk CD will let you play

Bomberman, a hidden fourth game: U, R, D, L, II.

Edited by Mark_Wolfe

The Arcade Card Pro will let you play all CD games in your TG-16. It's like a system card 3.0 with extra RAM. $27

https://www.risingstuff.com/store/pcengine-...ard-p-2130.html

The Super System Card will let you play all games except Arcade CDs. $7

https://www.risingstuff.com/store/engine-su...ard-p-2799.html

Those are the cheapest prices I've ever seen for those cards. wow

The Arcade Card Pro will let you play all CD games in your TG-16. It's like a system card 3.0 with extra RAM. $27

https://www.risingstuff.com/store/pcengine-...ard-p-2130.html

The Super System Card will let you play all games except Arcade CDs. $7

https://www.risingstuff.com/store/engine-su...ard-p-2799.html

Those are the cheapest prices I've ever seen for those cards. wow

And, as always, it's just my luck that I already went and spent a lot of money on a system card. Oh well, someone else reading this thread can go buy them I guess.

And, as always, it's just my luck that I already went and spent a lot of money on a system card. Oh well, someone else reading this thread can go buy them I guess.

I was going to suggest getting your TG16 region modded, then using an Arcade Card Pro... then you'd have basically the whole TurboGrafx/PC-Engine library available to you, with the exception of the SuperGrafx and LD-ROM2 titles.

Man, Rising Stuff has some great prices... has anyone ever dealt with them?

--Zero

Don't sweat it, those cards wouldn't work in a TG-16 anyway.

That's what I was thinking, too. The prices are that good because they're for the PC-Engine - a person could probably use those with a converter (I need to get one of those) but I'm not so sure about their availability anymore...

Converters are far too expensive these days. You're better off installing a region switch instead. It involves a good deal of soldering, but MultiMods sells a PCB that makes the mod a bit easier, and I think they'll do the region mod for you if you send you system in to them.

--Zero