IGNORED

Jaguar CD questions

grandcross

2. What are some good games for the Jaguar CD?

1) If can get your handS on a copy of Gorf!

2) Matthias' Double Feature #1 http://www.mdgames.de/jaguar_doublefeature.htm

3) Free homebrews! :lust:

http://removers.free.fr/softs/download.php

http://www.onorisoft.info/jaguar.htm

http://diamjag.jagware.org/

http://jagviddb.spruz.com/

http://www.duranik.com/english/jaguar.html

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/boggyb/

Edited by walter_J64bit

Hey Walter, those JagCD links are the exact same ones and same order in which I posted them on JS2! :)

Some decent freeware there.

Hey Walter, those JagCD links are the exact same ones and same order in which I posted them on JS2! :)

Some decent freeware there.

Hey they work, not every one goes to JS2 :(

You can buy new from Best Electronics (http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/jaguar.htm) or B+C computervision (myAtari.com)

After several bad drives from ebay that is definitely the rout I would take if I thought the add on was worth the money.

What type of problems where you getting from the broken drives off ebay?

The general idea is that the Jag CD has a poor drive in terms of durability. Someone I know bought one at a store, which was tested in front of him, and it wouldnt work when he got home. Replacement drives are out there, and run around $20 shipped, so I wouldnt worry too much. It is a relatively easy repair if you can solder.

The Jag CD is a delicate item, but it's worth every penny for the VLM alone. It is simply the best music visualizer ever released to the general public. In terms of games, here's my take on all the ones that matter (IMHO):

Battlemorph - Must have. It's everything you wanted Cybermorph to be and more. Probably my favorite Jag CD game.

Blue Lightning - Must have, if only for the fact that it is part of a complete system. Relatively poor update of the excellent Lynx game. AfterBurner clone that pretty much fails across the board, though it is definitely playable.

Braindead 13 - I paid too much for this, but was aware of what I was getting and wanted to complete my collection. FMV game like Dragon's Lair, only with some branching pathways and even more humor. Nice Halloween game. Easier to find cheaper (and with slightly better video) on a multitude of systems.

Dragon's Lair - The classic laserdisc game. Very playable in comparison to the original. Decent enough video quality. Worth the pittance it goes for.

Highlander - I have seen as many positive reviews of this game as I have negative. If you a Highlander nut, it's ok I guess. I find it a bit too tough to stomach visually (after removing the rose-colored glasses), but I suppose it was decent at the time. Imagine the graphics of StarFox on the SNES used in an adventure game like a King's Quest. Yeah, it isn't quite as cool as what you just imagined.

Hover Strike - The frame rate is leagues better than the cart version, but its still only Hover Strike. Battlemorph (or any of the Shockwave games on 3DO) is a better choice.

Iron Soldier 2 - The first Iron Soldier is a hidden gem, and the sequel does it one better. Some of the best 3D on the system. Like the first, this one is a little clunky in a gameplay sense, but it is appropriate for a mech game. A bit too expensive for its own good.

Myst - An excellent version of Myst. If you haven't played Myst, you should. It isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I can dig it.

Primal Rage - Good conversion of the arcade game. Another that is too expensive for its own good. The 3DO, PSX & Saturn versions have larger characters, but the Jag CD game holds it own. Load times are rough. Gameplay is about as good as Primal Rage gets, if you have a Pro Controller.

Space Ace - Easily the least playable of the laserdisc arcade games on the system. Take that as you will.

Vid Grid - A nice surprise, and definitely goes over well with more casual types. The choice of music videos you manipulate are quite good. Worth having, especially if you want to have both pack-in games.

World Tour Racing - Contrary to most of what I've read, the game is not much of an improvement over Checkered Flag. It's a little bit easier to control I guess, but the frame rate still makes it very difficult to enjoy consistenly. Play the incredible Super Burnout, Power Drive Rally, or even Atari Karts instead.

I didn't count homebrews per se, but they are all worth checking out; if only as a curiosity. Gorf is truly excellent though, and is the most professional of all the homebrews I've played. Too bad it's so unavailable. DiamJag is also quite nice.

Really, aside from Battlemorph, Hover Strike, and Iron Soldier 2 (and I'd settle for the cartridge versions of the latter two), there doesn't seem to be anything worthwhile on Jaguar CD that you can't get better versions of elsewhere... Which is pretty disappointing, 'cause I really like to justify hunting one down :)

Edited by minuS

A couple comments...

- There aren't many Jaguar CD titles that require the encryption bypass cart anymore. Jaguar CD encryption was solved a while ago, and almost all the freeware games have been re-released as encrypted images. Just burn and play. Some of the earlier Jaguar CDs like JagAds, Caves of Fear, or others might not be available as encrypted CDs, but if you get Protector SE from songbird it's one of the best Jaguar games and it also functions as a CD encryption bypass cart.

- The Nuon's VLM is excellent, much higher resolution than the Jaguar CD. Really cool.

- I'd agree that Battlemorph and Gorf are the only must-have Jaguar CD titles, and with the prices of the CD unit and Gorf it's hard to justify the cost. On the other hand, it's much easier (and cheaper) to find IS2 on CD so if you've got a Jaguar CD unit you could save some $$ on that one. And you get to watch the cheesy FMVs that are only on the CD version. There's also Baldies, which has a learning curve but it's fun once you figure out what to do. Atomic is my favorite of the freeware games. It's similar to Diamjag, but the sliding pieces have to be connected in the proper atomic layout. Vid Grid is fun too.

• 2 weeks later...
Yup, around $20.00 shipped will get you a new VAM1202 laser transport. (The replacement model for the discontinued Phillips CDM12.1 original laser transport)

Where? I have two failed JaguarCD units that I would like to repair.

Thanks!

I buy mine from Dalbani.com - their in Florida. Order the VAM1202 "FULL" transport around $15+s/h - not just the laser replacement eye. Save the mechanism frame in the Jag CD, don't marr the rubber feet - those are not included with the purchase and are Jag specific. Be very carful not to bend the ribbon cable or put indents into it. I use a 90 degree angled small needle nose pliers lined with thin cardboard to put the new one in the socket. I also grease the gears/movement rod with white or clear automotive grease. You may want to carefully without bending remove the laser eye floorplate in the original mech and put it in the new one so there isn't a big space there - mine came out easily and the old glue worked fine to use again - just press it into the new space.

Hope this helps - Jaguar CD is cool! :)

I buy mine from Dalbani.com - their in Florida. Order the VAM1202 "FULL" transport around $15+s/h - not just the laser replacement eye. Save the mechanism frame in the Jag CD, don't marr the rubber feet - those are not included with the purchase and are Jag specific. Be very carful not to bend the ribbon cable or put indents into it. I use a 90 degree angled small needle nose pliers lined with thin cardboard to put the new one in the socket. I also grease the gears/movement rod with white or clear automotive grease. You may want to carefully without bending remove the laser eye floorplate in the original mech and put it in the new one so there isn't a big space there - mine came out easily and the old glue worked fine to use again - just press it into the new space.

Hope this helps - Jaguar CD is cool! :)

I wish I had some Jag CD's to repair. I have had one working unit for a number of years but I would love to have more. I do have two Jag units in need of repair (fried by the wrong power supply.) If anyone wants to fix those for me let me know! ;)