IGNORED

XL/XE MONITOR PORT EXTENDER

MEtalGuy66

If anyone wants/needs something like this, I could probably be coerced into making a few more..

post-8775-1236926009_thumb.jpg

post-8775-1236926025_thumb.jpg

post-8775-1236926040_thumb.jpg

post-8775-1236926055_thumb.jpg

Obviously, it plugs into the monitor port and brings audio, composite video, chroma, and luma out on four separate grounded RCA jacks..

No more searching for special cables when you wanna hook the atari up to your a/v gear...

Edited by MEtalGuy66

Cool. I'm tempted to make something like that... although I've already added an S-Video and seperate audio.

While you're here... do you see any "danger" in driving multiple devices from the Atari - at times I've had 2 TVs (RF, composite) and capture card (S-Video) all receiving video at once.

How about a Svideo port for those with some more modern TVs and not Commodore monitors.

How about you get your own cable that goes from dual RCA to mini-din-4, so I dont have to have a pigtail hanging out of the thing... Theres no PCB inside this little "box" so everything has to be able to mount to the box, itself. In order to mount a min-din style USB "socket" in the little case, I'd have to have some way to mount it... And without a PCB, it wouldnt work very well.. Im sure you can get the USB socket made with the two little metal "ears" on either side (like you see on some of the "add-on" PS2 mouse connector sockets), but they dont have them at EPO so that would necessitate a parts-order, and I dont think those style connectors are "shallow" enough to fit in the little case either....

So... Since Chroma/Luma IS S-video..... And since all the commodore magnavox, and profesional video monitors have RCA-JACK chroma/luma inputs.... And none of the "modern displays" even come close to the quality you get from those REAL monitors....

You could, of course, take apart your "modern display" and wire in RCA chroma/luma jacks to the appropriate S-video input circuits.. This would make it much more "retro friendly".....

Edited by MEtalGuy66

The parts are: 4 female RCA-jacks (the case-mount type with the nut), 1 male 5-pin DIN connector (This part requires some serious modification), one small black plastic enclosure, 5 pieces of wire, some solder, and a small 3/4" long sheetmetal screw..

Tools: Electric Drill with 1/4" and 1/2" dia. drill bits, soldering iron, small wrench/pliers (to tighten mounting nuts on the RCA jacks), phillips-head screw-driver.

Optional: After the thing is fully assembled, drill a small hole in the bottom and top edges, and pump the entire thing full of hot-glue (through the bottom hole, until you see it come out the top hole) to make the whole thing solid, (and thus alot more rugged).

Edited by MEtalGuy66

The parts are: 4 female RCA-jacks, 1 male 5-pin DIN connector, one small black plastic enclosure, 5 pieces of wire, some solder, and a small 3/4" long sheetmetal screw..

It may fit on Amiga 1000 so perhaps you can make a few hundred and not have to spend labor per item and keep costs down.

Perhaps, you can use a capacitor or other parts and split the composite of Atari ST into Y/C and really have a multiplatform version.

It may fit on Amiga 1000 so perhaps you can make a few hundred and not have to spend labor per item and keep costs down.

Perhaps, you can use a capacitor or other parts and split the composite of Atari ST into Y/C and really have a multiplatform version.

The AMIGA 1000 already has RCA color composite video out, as well as DB-23 RGB video out. Was the DIN jack on the back for use with C=64 style monitor cables? Did it have chroma/luma present at that jack?

The ST is a pile of crap.. So Im not inclined to do any sort of work to support it... But if I were to do something like that, it would be a much better idea to get the chroma/luma signals inside the machine BEFORE they are combined into the composite signal than to "re-split" them from the composite.... So really, even if I cared about the ST, this type of device wouldnt be a very good solution for S-video on the ST..

Edited by MEtalGuy66

The parts are: 4 female RCA-jacks (the case-mount type with the nut), 1 male 5-pin DIN connector (This part requires some serious modification), one small black plastic enclosure, 5 pieces of wire, some solder, and a small 3/4" long sheetmetal screw..

Tools: Electric Drill with 1/4" and 1/2" dia. drill bits, soldering iron, small wrench/pliers (to tighten mounting nuts on the RCA jacks), phillips-head screw-driver.

Optional: After the thing is fully assembled, drill a small hole in the bottom and top edges, and pump the entire thing full of hot-glue (through the bottom hole, until you see it come out the top hole) to make the whole thing solid, (and thus alot more rugged).

Great project!

What modifications did you make to the 5-pin DIN connector, any pictures of the mod?

The AMIGA 1000 already has RCA color composite video out, as well as DB-23 RGB video out. Was the DIN jack on the back for use with C=64 style monitor cables? Did it have chroma/luma present at that jack?

The ST is a pile of crap.. So Im not inclined to do any sort of work to support it... But if I were to do something like that, it would be a much better idea to get the chroma/luma signals inside the machine BEFORE they are combined into the composite signal than to "re-split" them from the composite.... So really, even if I cared about the ST, this type of device wouldnt be a very good solution for S-video on the ST..

Amiga has a N.C. on pin 1 (luminance), GND on pin 5 (Chroma), and Left audio on pin 3. So internally, pin 1 needs to be connected to luma by user (not by this device) and pin 3 has to be shorted to pin 8 (audio right) so it serves like a Y-cable for "composite" audio. Many Amigas that I know shipped with Y-audio cable so that's no big deal. I guess unGNDing pin 5 may require cutting a pin internally. There's an internal s-video upgrade for A1000 but by using something like this the same port can be used. Pins 2 (GND) and 4 (Composite) video are the same on both systems. Pins 6 and 7 on A1000 are never used.

My ST has a pile of chips insted of crap, but it may be too much work to incorporate that into this box. Just trying to hint to get it to work on more systems so volume can be increased and make production costs go down. I suppose adding a RF input so you can select between RF splitting and DIN splitting would require a PCB internally but would also make it work with a lot more systems.

One other suggestion would be to color the RCA jacks (like white for audio, yellow for composite video, "see-thru" for luminance, etc.)

[

So... Since Chroma/Luma IS S-video..... And since all the commodore magnavox, and profesional video monitors have RCA-JACK chroma/luma inputs.... And none of the "modern displays" even come close to the quality you get from those REAL monitors....

But I must confess, the S-video cable I've been using works marvelously. I was skeptical (haven't seen a Commodore monitor in 10 or more years) but I've used the S-video cable to a Sony 27" CRT, Sony 35" CRT, and even a lowly (Walmart special) Sanyo 27" CRT - and on all three (suprisingly the latter) I get EXCELLENT quality to the point of absolutely no artifacting whatsoever.

All the "graphics 8" 80-column schemes look razor sharp and clear. The game "Choplifter" shows perfect vertical white lines where the anticipated artifacting colors are supposed to be. I even switched back and forth (with a standard composite cable) and of course the 80-cols are a bloody mess and Choplifter looks perfectly like it is supposed to with "extra" colors in the hi-res.

I only mention this because I haven't been using S-video (on Atari) long and I was pleasantly surprised at how good it worked. I was under the assumption I had the equivalent of a "27 inch Commodore monitor" because of this; how does the quality of the actual Commodore monitor improve upon this?

(For the record, I follow all of your threads and I am quite impressed with your work)

[

But I must confess, the S-video cable I've been using works marvelously. I was skeptical (haven't seen a Commodore monitor in 10 or more years) but I've used the S-video cable to a Sony 27" CRT, Sony 35" CRT, and even a lowly (Walmart special) Sanyo 27" CRT - and on all three (suprisingly the latter) I get EXCELLENT quality to the point of absolutely no artifacting whatsoever.

All the "graphics 8" 80-column schemes look razor sharp and clear. The game "Choplifter" shows perfect vertical white lines where the anticipated artifacting colors are supposed to be. I even switched back and forth (with a standard composite cable) and of course the 80-cols are a bloody mess and Choplifter looks perfectly like it is supposed to with "extra" colors in the hi-res.

I only mention this because I haven't been using S-video (on Atari) long and I was pleasantly surprised at how good it worked. I was under the assumption I had the equivalent of a "27 inch Commodore monitor" because of this; how does the quality of the actual Commodore monitor improve upon this?

(For the record, I follow all of your threads and I am quite impressed with your work)

I was mainly referring to consumer grade displays and LCD/TFT displays.. If you are getting those type of results than your display has a significantly better CRT (and related electronics) than the average consumer grade CRT television. Most displays which incorporate such a design will have a variety of either RCA or BNC inputs...Usually including separate chroma/luma. The "S-video" connector is more of a consumer-grade "unitized/miniaturized" version of this standard.

And yes, even the "latest greatest" CRT televisions are considerably lower dot-pitch than professional video monitors.. If you got a "walmart special" that compares with a real monitor, then you got etremely lucky. I have 4 CRT televisions, all are less than 5 years old.. None of them even come close..

LCD/TFT displays with composite and S-video inputs are only as good as the built in devices that "capture" the analog frames and convert them for use with the digitally driven display. These have a multitude of problems related to dropped/averaged frames, correct support of overscan, etc. etc..

How about a Svideo port for those with some more modern TVs and not Commodore monitors.

How about you get your own cable that goes from dual RCA to mini-din-4, so I dont have to have a pigtail hanging out of the thing... Theres no PCB inside this little "box" so everything has to be able to mount to the box, itself. In order to mount a min-din style USB "socket" in the little case, I'd have to have some way to mount it...

I used a Mini-DIN in one of my projects that was panel mount with plastic ears and short leads coming out the back. I got it from Digi-Key, I think and I could probably go find the part number.

Professional broadcast monitors often have Y/C (S-Video) as a mini-din as on consumer equipment. I have a JVC and Sony Pro monitor here and that's how they have it.

-Bry

Edited by Bryan

Cool. I'm tempted to make something like that... although I've already added an S-Video and seperate audio.

While you're here... do you see any "danger" in driving multiple devices from the Atari - at times I've had 2 TVs (RF, composite) and capture card (S-Video) all receiving video at once.

Never tried that on Atari but on Amiga 1000, I have driven RGB monitor and two composite monitors simultaneously (one through DIN port using Atari A/V cable, one through composite out).