IGNORED

Commodore 128D

Tempest

Is the Commodore 128D mostly compatible with the C-64? I know the 128 is, but IIRC the D added some extra stuff that was subsequently never really used. The reason I'm asking is that I think they they look neat and I was thinking about upgrading to one. How much to they generally go for and how hard are they to find? Is there any real advantage to owning one over a C-64 other than the few 128 enhanced games they made?

Tempest

I have one. It's pretty much 100%, if not exactly 100% compatible. It has the extra video ram that is rarely used. It has an RGBI port too. The detached keyboard is nice, but the cable is shorter than I'd like it to be. The internal drive is a 1571, but you can modify that to be device 9 if you want. I can't think of any real advantages to it, unless those items are appealing to you. I haven't used mine in 128 mode too much. The case is pretty nice, compared to other 64 stuff.

I've had mine forever, so I don't know how hard they are to find now or what they go for.

I still have mine from back in '87. There were a few bug fixes and a couple of minor changes from the 128, the only one I remember off hand was the video RAM upgrade from 16 to 64k. I remember some of the Kracker Jax copiers took advantage of it (even in 64 mode) as a swap space for single drive disk copying. Basic8 would also allow 640x400 graphic commands that you couldn't do with a plain 128.

I JiffyDOS'd mine, put switches up front to change the drive number from 8-11, a dedicated drive reset button, moved the system reset to the front, had a battery-backed RAMLink and SuperSnapshot 5.0 for which I also moved the enable button the front.

I don't remember ever having any incompatibilities with 64 mode software, and I had a ton of it! (still do)

I never owned one, but always drooled over them. One question, though. I assume they have the c64 cartridge port - is it located in the back of the machine? That was inconvenient enough on the c64, but it seems really tough on a 128D.

Yes, and yes, it is a little inconvenient.

I've like the look of the C128D, but was always afraid to buy one. I've had several revisions of both the C64 and C128. I don't really like the C128 as far as compatability, which is why I never went for a 128D.

I remember my Dad got me my first C64 as a present one year and some clone 1541 drive, the Enhancer 2000 .

post-6095-1237090482.jpg

They got them in NYC since things were cheaper in some of the stores there.

I was so pissed off because very early on I started having issues. I had bought Arcade Game Construction Kit and that never worked. I also paid for some nice BBS software (DMBBS I think by Artisoft) which cost me about $40 or $50, also didn't work. The drive ruined them. Even getting an alignment didn't help. My Dad's Girlfriend took it back to the city and the place they got it told them there was a manufacturer defect and gave them another.

I've like the look of the C128D, but was always afraid to buy one. I've had several revisions of both the C64 and C128. I don't really like the C128 as far as compatability, which is why I never went for a 128D.

I remember my Dad got me my first C64 as a present one year and some clone 1541 drive, the Enhancer 2000 .

post-6095-1237090482.jpg

They got them in NYC since things were cheaper in some of the stores there.

I was so pissed off because very early on I started having issues. I had bought Arcade Game Construction Kit and that never worked. I also paid for some nice BBS software (DMBBS I think by Artisoft) which cost me about $40 or $50, also didn't work. The drive ruined them. Even getting an alignment didn't help. My Dad's Girlfriend took it back to the city and the place they got it told them there was a manufacturer defect and gave them another.

What compatibility issues are you referring to with the 128? Surely it was the drive causing the incompatibilities, unless you found some really bizarre 128 incompatibility, because the 128 in 64 mode is as near to 100% compatible as you can get. I don't recall what was found that doesn't work, but it was just one or two really obscure items... it's considered to be ~100% 64 compatible, including the 128D.

That drive officially sucks. It's not a 1541 clone, but rather a cheap knock off that sorely lacks true compatibility of a real 1541. As far as I can tell it only answers to the IEC command set (like many non true compatible solutions these days such as 64HDD) and therefore it doesn't run fastloaders or any custom drive code. Boo hiss!

Yeah, I had a Blue Chip drive BITD, and while it would run most programs/games, there were some compatibility issues. It was slightly faster than a stock 1541 though, and quite a bit quieter. Most all compatibility issues with C64's/128's are due to using non-1541 drives. Even the 1541-II and 1571's have compatibility issues, so for best compatibility, always use a real 1541.

I think Ultima V was the most prominent release to take advantage of the 128 but IIRC it was only additional music.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of pauses in the music when you move around, making it sound crappier than it should have.

Basically, the only incompatibilities in the 128 in the first place is that a few previously unused registers in the VIC-II are now used, so "unfriendly" software that changes these registers can accidentally throw the machine into 2MHz mode and such. As far as I know, the only major changes in the 128D is the extra video RAM for the VDC chip (which shouldn't cause any new problems), and the inclusion of the 1571 (which is already about as 1541 compatible as you can possibly be).

--Zero

Compatibility as far as games not working. I didn't have that drive the whole time.. I had 1541's, 1571's, and 1581's throughout my Commodore days. I will say the Enhancer 2000 was the worst out of all, but the 1571 for me falls in close second place.

Taken from wiki: "Early 1571s had a bug in the ROM-based disk operating system that caused relative files to corrupt if they occupied both sides of the disk. A version 2 ROM was released, but though it cured the initial bug, it introduced some minor quirks of its own - particularly with the 1541 emulation. Curiously, it was also identified as V3.0." -- I do not know if this affects the 1571 which is inside a C128D or not?

What compatibility issues are you referring to with the 128? Surely it was the drive causing the incompatibilities, unless you found some really bizarre 128 incompatibility, because the 128 in 64 mode is as near to 100% compatible as you can get. I don't recall what was found that doesn't work, but it was just one or two really obscure items... it's considered to be ~100% 64 compatible, including the 128D.

Compatibility as far as games not working. I didn't have that drive the whole time.. I had 1541's, 1571's, and 1581's throughout my Commodore days. I will say the Enhancer 2000 was the worst out of all, but the 1571 for me falls in close second place.

Taken from wiki: "Early 1571s had a bug in the ROM-based disk operating system that caused relative files to corrupt if they occupied both sides of the disk. A version 2 ROM was released, but though it cured the initial bug, it introduced some minor quirks of its own - particularly with the 1541 emulation. Curiously, it was also identified as V3.0." -- I do not know if this affects the 1571 which is inside a C128D or not?

I'm sure it was the 1571 causing it. If you had an external 1541 attached, but didn't change the internal 1571's drive number, that was probably the issue with the 1541. Many games simply won't work except from drive 8. The 128 is nearly 100% 64 compatible with a 1541 set to drive 8.

I've heard of the 1541 Ultimate before, and have wanted one for awhile now.

I suddenly am in the mood to play some Impossible Mission.

http://members.tripod.com/~impossible_mission/voice.wav

Out of these, which is the most compatible for fast loading games:

* Final Cartridge III

* Action Replay

* Retro Replay

* Super Snapshot

I am really use to my old JiffyDOS. Really a shame about that Maurice character.

I've heard of the 1541 Ultimate before, and have wanted one for awhile now.

I suddenly am in the mood to play some Impossible Mission.

http://members.tripod.com/~impossible_mission/voice.wav

Out of these, which is the most compatible for fast loading games:

* Final Cartridge III

* Action Replay

* Retro Replay

* Super Snapshot

I am really use to my old JiffyDOS. Really a shame about that Maurice character.

For about the past month, Maurice has been posting again on the Homestead mailing list (I don't even know why I still subscribe to that pointless and annoying list... it's almost enough to make me hate Commodore), promising that he's going to go full-bore back into production and support. It's amazing to me how most people on there just ate it up... forgiving him and telling him welcome back. But he hasn't actually done a thing yet. These are the same people who have been angry with him for years and years, and he still has some of their equipment, and/or years-old unfulfilled orders... but they all just say "yay, Maurice is back". I would wait until he actually does something... actions speak louder than words. I hope I'm wrong, but I think he's all talk and still won't do anything.

Anyway, you can still get JiffyDOS if you look around, and it really is still the best, and the only thing I use anymore.

Err.. Action Replay creates cloned memory dumps of a program that's running, so the loading isn't that much of an issue.

No idea if it has a Fast-Loader that you can use in the normal course of things ... I've actually got an Action Replay cart here, don't think I've ever bothered to try it out.

Edited by Rybags

For about the past month, Maurice has been posting again on the Homestead mailing list

So that washed up drunk is still around? :ponder:

Problem with Maurice is that he runs CMD like he's ran his life - Lies, excuses and drunkenly running it into the ground. :roll:

I'm sorry, but I honestly have nothing good to say about him. :x

So poking around on comp.sys.cbm was interesting.

Seems he still doesn't have many friends there, seeing how as recently as last month people were still calling him a theif and "A hillybilly f--kup".....

Looks like what he has been doing in recent years, instead of taking care of his business, was getting back into Nascar again. Since atleast 2007.

http://pentastarmotorsports.com/

http://www.mstrc.com/index.php?showuser=692

http://www.autocityspeedway.com/contact.php

http://www.mlive.com/sports/flint/index.ss..._takes_ove.html

Like to know how the hell he is going to do anything CBM/CMD related when he has all this other more important stuff to worry about. :ponder: :roll:

Anywho....

I think I know why he decided to crawl out of the woodwork all of a sudden and start making new claims. Talk of a class-action lawsuit was brewing again, amung other things.