IGNORED

Regrets you may have made with your game collection?

Wow, guys! I've learnt at least something of what has been posted here.

1. Don't sell anything that has a sentimental value.

2. Tell clearly to your parents/mom/wife that everything you have is valuable (something like "no, mon, isn't trash")

3. Don't trash anything before putting a message here in Atariage ;)

4. Buy any offer even for platforms you don't know.

5. If you're going to sell check everything for rarity before (at least to get a scan for Atarimania!)

In fact sometimes I regret selling my first 15 Atari cartridges, the lot included a Raft Rider cartridge that was in very good state and Crystal Castles that I liked a lot.

• Like 1

A lesson I learned from past mistakes:

1. A game console or computer can usually be replaced without much difficulty.

2. A large collection of games, software, comics, records, etc can be almost impossible (and very expensive) to replace.

• Like 2

I regret selling my Atari Jaguar CD most of all. I pretty much have to pay twice what I sold mine for to get a new one now.

I also regret a few things I've done with Gamepark GP32s, like attempting a front light repair which resulted in my scratching the light guide to hell, and selling my backlit unit and finding out later that the only replacment I could afford was partially broken. I don't regret selling my First Edition GP2X, though. Even if it's collectible, that thing was really awkward to use, and I would have been wise to wait for the later version with the D-Pad.

Another regret: Putting parts of my game collection in storage when I was moving, several years ago. My unit got raided and they took items from my game collection and my camping gear. I lost most of my original Odyssey 2 stuff that I'd had since childhood, an O2 multicart, and some CIB Atari games like Frankenstein's Monster.

Luckily, my most valuable O2 stuff wasn't in storage (boxed Demon Attack, and my complete Master Strategy Series), but stuff losing my original console, Voice, and most of my non-rare cartridges that I had since I was about 9 years old was... not good..

The "security" and video surveillance they claim to have at Public Storage is a joke. When an alarm is triggered, they just turn it off. I know this because I broke into the building one night after I got locked out automatically while my storage unit was open, and they told me the next day that I the alarm had been set off, but they just turn off the alarm when it goes off.

When I was little.my dad(he still does) took me with him to this cleaned out house(I'm assuming he cleaned it out)and when you walked in,there was a N64 and Super Mario 64(don't know why I remember the N64 and Super Mario 64) but Since I wasen't into collecting I passed on it and got a Spider-man and other orangish yellow Marvel action figure instead.Why couldn't my dad say,"do you want this Nintendo to play" and i would have took it but it's not as bad as some of you guys had(must be hard knowing you had some rare games/consoles just thrown/sold away).

Edited by xDragonWarrior

Probably getting rid of my original TG-16 and a bunch of games so I could buy a Genesis with the first NHL game.

I'd like to say getting rid of my original 2600 and Tandy Coco stuff but that was done for me by my step-mother after I moved out at 18, foolishly thinking my things would be left alone. I guess I regret not taking them with me when I moved but I didn't have the room.

So many regrets....I have plenty, unfortunately.

If I would have been smart (key word here), I would never have traded any of them away. My two biggest regrets are getting rid of my original Atari 2600, and parting with my Odyssey 2. Then there was my Vectrex (ouch), NES, SNES, Gamecube...the list goes on. The thing is, I had all this stuff and didn't keep it, like my wife TOLD ME TO. I didn't listen, and ditched them. :(

I have sold many consoles and handhelds, but I don't really regret selling them. I do however, regret buying a console, the original Odyssey. My family tried to talk me out of it, but I just had to get it because "It's the first system ever!" It was untested, but complete. So when I finally got it, I found that I didn't have a TV old enough to hook it up to, so I bought a converted one on eBay. Man, I was so excited to play it. I hooked in the first controller and a little white square appeared on the screen. In went the second one, nothing happened. I took it out and shoved it in tighter, nothing. I thought it was just the game, so I tried a different one. The second square was nowhere to be seen. So after crying for about 4 hours, I trashed the bedroom, destroyed my collection, and chucked the console out the window.

• 2 weeks later...

I have sold many consoles and handhelds, but I don't really regret selling them. I do however, regret buying a console, the original Odyssey. My family tried to talk me out of it, but I just had to get it because "It's the first system ever!" It was untested, but complete. So when I finally got it, I found that I didn't have a TV old enough to hook it up to, so I bought a converted one on eBay. Man, I was so excited to play it. I hooked in the first controller and a little white square appeared on the screen. In went the second one, nothing happened. I took it out and shoved it in tighter, nothing. I thought it was just the game, so I tried a different one. The second square was nowhere to be seen. So after crying for about 4 hours, I trashed the bedroom, destroyed my collection, and chucked the console out the window.

You have to fiddle with the dials a lot until the dots show up, and some of the games don't always show dots. I was confused at first as well, but for some reason the range of what's visible on screen is much smaller than where you can position the dots with the dials.

• 4 weeks later...

Back around 90 or 91, I had just recently got my TurboGrafx-16, and wasn't really playing my NES any more. I let my mom put it in a garage sale. I had the system, two regular controllers, Max controller, Advantage controller, Power Glove, Zapper, about fifteen games, and a couple years worth of Nintendo Power magazines. I put a nice high price on it all (hoping to use the money for a new TG game) and left her with it. When I returned that evening, I found that it had sold, but my mom had marked it down to $40 because "it wasn't selling." Arrrggggg! Not even enough to buy a game. What a waste.

My biggest regret though was letting a friend of mine borrow just about my entire PS1 game collection when I got my PS2. They were in a Case Logic CD case and included Suikoden 1 and 2, Einhander, Final Fantasy VII and many other games. He moved and "lost" them. (I still have the empty cases for a few of them. I wish for a time machine every time I see them.)

My biggest regret doesn't involve selling or losing a portion of my collection but instead it relates to what I didn't buy.

In the early 90's, I was around 10 years old, Big Lots stores had oodles of Atari 7800 and 2600 games for sale. This was a big deal for my family as we were still an Atari family as we always lagged about 2 systems behind the rest of the world.

Long story short we added games like Mean 18 Golf, Midnight Madess, Ace of Aces, Snoopy and the Red Baron, and many more to our collection for $2 or $3 dollars per game. I only wish I was a collector of video games at the time and not sports cards and other various items. I could have easily purchased 20-30 copies plus of each of the aforementioned games and probably more.

Thinking back on it I can't believe they had all of those games and were asking so little for them. It is a safe bet that they didn't even sell half of their inventory and probably trashed or donated the rest?

My biggest regret doesn't involve selling or losing a portion of my collection but instead it relates to what I didn't buy.

I have a few of those, too.

I remember when Toys R Us was heavily discounting Sega Genesis stuff (this was around when the N64 and the Genesis 3 came out, iirc. I got a Genesis 3 for my nephews around then. I asked my sister about it recently and she said that it quit working a while back so they threw it out. sigh... ) I could have gotten quite a few nice bargains if I'd had the cash at the time.

Also when Saturn started failing later, I worked at Target and could have gotten some REALLY nice deals on stuff, but I was all Playstation at the time and didn't really look into it.

When the TurboGrafx-16 started failing, the local Hasting's store (the only place in town where you could rent TG games) started selling off their rental games. I only had money for a couple (got Military Madness and Psychosis), but could have bought so many more.

I remember passing on an NES top loader with dog-bone controllers I saw in a pawn shop once. (I had gone in looking or TG-16 games and didn't want to spend the money on an NES, ended up getting a top loader on eBay later, but no dog bones.) That same pawn shop had a Master System that I didn't buy, either.

There used to be an Atari store in town a long time ago. The guy who ran it didn't deal with anything but Atari. I remember going in there and he was all gung ho about the Jaguar and showing it off. He had racks and racks of 2600 games (mostly cart only) and that's where I got my copy of Adventure, but I didn't buy any of the Jag stuff he had. Last I looked the shop was gone. If he was still around, I'd buy a lot of that stuff now.

[Edit/Addendum] On a whim, I looked up "Longview Atari Shop" in Google. (Longview's the name of the town it was in.) The first hit was an online yellow pages listing for it. I was excited until I saw the street view was a different business in a different building. The building the shop was in isn't even there anymore. The second result was an old Atari Age post that I had made about the shop. lol http://atariage.com/forums/topic/122169-video-game-shops-in-your-town-that-sell-atari-2600/page__st__25

Edited by Eltigro

I regret treating the last gen system like a red-headed step child the minute the next gen one came out. Either giving it away or (ugh) trashing it. Something I did several times.

May seem odd to those here but literally NO ONE I knew as a kid kept the last gen systems when the next wave came out. Who the f was going to play SMB3 when you could splay Super Mario WORLD? Nobody right? Whoops....