IGNORED

Fun hobby to Sick collection..

smf_4ever

Ok.. My little cart collection in now at 102 carts (106 counting doubles) and I have come to the realization that I am starting to look at carts and games that kinda... suck.. but I feel I am now at the point where my mind is drifting over to the "I want all I can get..good or bad" point.. how many other innocent people suffer from this problem!! I just wanted to play games.. :? Now I am turning into a... <shudder>collector!!.. I thought the Cuttle cart would have cured me of wanting some crap (like most of the M Network stuff) but noooooooooo I find myself looking at ebay..for some of this garbage!!!

Is there some kind of help group I can join for this???

Ok.. My little cart collection in now at 102 carts (106 counting doubles) and I have come to the realization that I am starting to look at carts and games that kinda... suck.. but I feel I am now at the point where my mind is drifting over to the "I want all I can get..good or bad" point.. how many other innocent people suffer from this problem!! I just wanted to play games.. :? Now I am turning into a... <shudder>collector!!.. I thought the Cuttle cart would have cured me of wanting some crap (like most of the M Network stuff) but noooooooooo I find myself looking at ebay..for some of this garbage!!!

Is there some kind of help group I can join for this???

You've already joined our group. 'Course we only encourage your addiction.

:D :D :D

Could be worse. You could be collecting cows.

http://www.geocities.com/Wellesley/1067/cow.html

If only my wife would listen to that kind of logic.. I could take that mortgage and blow it on quanruns and waterworlds!! (ok.... I know I have a problem when I am accually considering looking for a swordquest game!!!!)

Or you could collect what I collect:

http://www.clearfour.com/condiment/

Hey, at least collecting Videogame cartridges, or condiments doesn't take up all that much space per item... this is MY collection:

http://www.old-computers.com/club/collecto...ordis.asp?c=232

(don't forget to click on consoles, too... )

And most of that has to be stored in my parents loft until I get a bigger place of my own.. still it could be worse, I could have a collection like this, which is owned by a friend of mine:

http://www.old-computers.com/club/collecto...ordis.asp?c=235

:)

Ok.. My little cart collection in now at 102 carts (106 counting doubles) and I have come to the realization that I am starting to look at carts and games that kinda... suck.. but I feel I am now at the point where my mind is drifting over to the "I want all I can get..good or bad" point.. how many other innocent people suffer from this problem???

Oh there's nothing innocent about our hobby. Once you cross 100, you're no babe in the woods innocent any more. It was about that time I started to notice (and keep) label variations of carts; which thankfully has gotten me through the lean times when there wasn't a new game to be found anywhere. Now I'm up to 257 different Atari games (including Starpath tapes and label variations) and I still consider my collection modest; but once I hit the 300 club I'll +REALLY+ feel good... or they'll lock me in a loon bin. :roll: :D 300 seems to be the baseline for "hardcore" in most collector groups when it comes to Atari.

Oh there's nothing innocent about our hobby.  Once you cross 100, you're no babe in the woods innocent any more.  It was about that time I started to notice (and keep) label variations of carts; which thankfully has gotten me through the lean times when there wasn't a new game to be found anywhere.  Now I'm up to 257 different Atari games (including Starpath tapes and label variations) and I still consider my collection modest; but once I hit the 300 club I'll +REALLY+ feel good... or they'll lock me in a loon bin.  :roll:   :D   300 seems to be the baseline for "hardcore" in most collector groups when it comes to Atari.

I dont think I would ever get into label variations.. (but I never thought I would own any swordquest game either..).. But I do still wanna keep some of my rules.. of the 102 I have.. only 4 do not have a manual.. :)

I accidently became something of a collector on vacation. How I ended up on e-bay and how I bid is beyond me. The next thing I knew, I was adding over 400 carts and mutliple systems to my collection.

Combined with 2600 and 7800, I probably have somewhere close to 700 carts now with maybe half of them being "label" unique.

Cap

I got "reintroduced" to Atari in the mid 1990s with the discovery of a six toggle and 27 cartridges.

I had a custom wood storage crate made to hold 50 carts, thinking I'd never have more than that. But pretty soon I had back all the games I had when I was a kid, plus all the games I had wanted but never had, but games I'd heard of plus games I'd never heard of.

Now my 2600 collection stands at 234 cartridges. That's one of each, no dups, which I do have on top of that.

Add up what's in my sig - 2600, 5200, 7800, XE, Lynx, Jag (not Jag CD, since we're talking carts here) - and I've got 383 cartridges. Plus the 12 Jag CDs, plus dozens of games and programs on oodles of 5 1/4 diskettes the guy who sold me his 1050 disk drive gave me.

I was about to ramble about how this is only material, and how we shouldn't invest our happiness and peace of mind in mere STUFF, and how we were bred as consumers, so it stands to follow that we would buy more and more games just to continue justifying all of our past purchases....

But then I read, "It could be worse. You could be collecting cows," and laughed my ass off. It's TRUE. At least we don't collect cows. Never thought of it quite that way!

So I'll leave you with this: If you have found yourself collecting crap games -- stuff you'll never play -- then now is the time to catch yourself. Step on that collecting bug before it gets the better of you. I have an appealing alternative for you: The thing to do is find another system with actually fun games that you'll actually play, and carry on with that. Atari 8-bit collecting is especially rewarding. Ditto with the C-64.

The 7800 and the ColecoVision also rock to collect quality games for, especially those during which you can use the original 2600 stick (the original controllers suck for both consoles).

CF

So I'll leave you with this: If you have found yourself collecting crap games -- stuff you'll never play -- then now is the time to catch yourself. Step on that collecting bug before it gets the better of you. I have an appealing alternative for you: The thing to do is find another system with actually fun games that you'll actually play, and carry on with that. Atari 8-bit collecting is especially rewarding.

CF

I have a Jag (with CD) and all the games I want for that sucka... Atari 8-bit is more my passion.. (800, 130xe.. 600xl..4 1050 drives..ATR 8000.. APE cables.. and now my 6502 programming books.. ) lol..

But the crap carts I think would look great on the wall!! How can I be happy and see the hole where..??? food fight.. or karate should be!!! <ok.. that was a joke...> lol

Even the really BAD games can be fun to play from time to time, and if friends come over to play, they may really like those bad ones. I don't collect for me, I collect for the friends and family who will re-discover the addiction of Atari when I lure them over and find the excuse to turn on my console. :evil:

The cow thing is funny as hell.

Years ago, my cousin, who has cows and horses, had a debate with a computer enthusiast about what each of them 'collects'--the cousin won the debate with this,"At least I can eat what I collect, what are you going to do with silicon chips?"

As for me, I like collecting the games and could be using the cash on something stupid like(cows!?) drugs....

My wife collects cows, so of course I had to send that link over to her. We have our entire kitchen done in cows :roll:

And don't feel bad.. 102 carts ain't much yet .. you still have awhile :) I'm up to about 450 carts and 700 CDs (not counting music CDs).

Brian

And don't feel bad.. 102 carts ain't much yet .. you still have awhile :)  I'm up to about 450 carts and 700 CDs (not counting music CDs).

Brian

Are those +ALL+ unique, no label variation carts? If so, VERY impressive! I'll double that statement if none of them are PAL. :D