IGNORED

How many people are tools packing boxed games?

homerwannabee

What many sellers don't realize is that you can ship a few carts for under $4 priority and insured if you use your own small box in stead of the flat-rate box.

Can you share how you are getting PM for less than $4, the cheapest I can find is $4.80, and that's with the online discount.

I tried the online calculator for 1 oz from my zip to the next town over, still $4.80

It'd be nice to save another buck or two.

Thanks!

Edited by poobah

Right, I have to agree about the feedback. As much as this is a pet peeve of mine, if the item being shipped in a box wasn't worked out before hand, preferably before end of auction, but if not then, then at least agreed on final shipping costs boxed before payment, then you really don't have a legitimate reason to neg the seller. He/she is careless, but if it wasn't specified or worked out, then unfortunately, box/envelope is fair game. If you did agree or it was specified that it would be boxed, then neg him, no question.

Absolute lesson -- always agree on boxing the item for shipping beforehand, no exceptions.

EDIT: I do think you could possibly give a neutral, but I probably wouldn't. If there was never any mention of boxing them, give them a positive since everything else was right, and note in the feedback to "please box vintage game boxes for shipping" and remind them in an email as well. Hopefully at least this one will remember. If so, 1 down, 10,000++??? to go.

I disagree. It's certainly not a bad idea to mention it, but it shouldn't really be necessary (especially if you've paid for Priority Mail). It's just common sense not to ship something in such a way that it (potentially) gets destroyed in transit. That would apply to just about anything, but even moreso when selling collectibles on eBay. Most sellers should known better, and most do...but some are dumb or just don't care.

What many sellers don't realize is that you can ship a few carts for under $4 priority and insured if you use your own small box in stead of the flat-rate box.

Can you share how you are getting PM for less than $4, the cheapest I can find is $4.80, and that's with the online discount.

I tried the online calculator for 1 oz from my zip to the next town over, still $4.80

It'd be nice to save another buck or two.

Thanks!

Iam so sorry, I mistyped. I meant First Class and insured. But at least it would be in a strong box and insured.

Edited by Defender II

Right, I have to agree about the feedback. As much as this is a pet peeve of mine, if the item being shipped in a box wasn't worked out before hand, preferably before end of auction, but if not then, then at least agreed on final shipping costs boxed before payment, then you really don't have a legitimate reason to neg the seller. He/she is careless, but if it wasn't specified or worked out, then unfortunately, box/envelope is fair game. If you did agree or it was specified that it would be boxed, then neg him, no question.

Absolute lesson -- always agree on boxing the item for shipping beforehand, no exceptions.

EDIT: I do think you could possibly give a neutral, but I probably wouldn't. If there was never any mention of boxing them, give them a positive since everything else was right, and note in the feedback to "please box vintage game boxes for shipping" and remind them in an email as well. Hopefully at least this one will remember. If so, 1 down, 10,000++??? to go.

I disagree. It's certainly not a bad idea to mention it, but it shouldn't really be necessary (especially if you've paid for Priority Mail). It's just common sense not to ship something in such a way that it (potentially) gets destroyed in transit. That would apply to just about anything, but even moreso when selling collectibles on eBay. Most sellers should known better, and most do...but some are dumb or just don't care.

I can see both sides. In any case, I really want to agree with what you're saying, as I think it's utterly assinine and absurdly stupid to ship a collectible box in an envelope.

That's basically why I say to mention it, every single time, no exceptions. Work it out with them before shipping (or bidding if possible). Then, you have every right to neg. Then, it's not a question. That's my real point. Put it 100% on the seller/shipper every time, then whether to neg or not isn't even a question anymore, no grey area.

That's basically why I say to mention it, every single time, no exceptions. Work it out with them before shipping (or bidding if possible). Then, you have every right to neg. Then, it's not a question. That's my real point. Put it 100% on the seller/shipper every time, then whether to neg or not isn't even a question anymore, no grey area.

Reminds me of nanny cams. If you tell the nanny that there are hidden cams everywhere, she'll be less likely to abuse your children. Prevention is better than catching someone doing something wrong after the fact. Don't give the nanny or babysitter a chance to abuse your kids and don't give the seller a chance to ruin your purchases.

Slightly off topic, but I figured this was an interesting point - and a creative solution by a seller. I recently bought a couple of NES cartrides from a member on another board. He shipped them to me USPS (first class, or Priority, I forget), and I received them last night. These were bare cartridges, but he used a really novel method of packing that was cheap and worked really well...

He stacked the four carts on top of each other, and wrapped them in computer paper. Then, he fitted them to the corner of some other box, and scored/folded the cardboard around the pile of carts, and wrapped securely in tape. Every side had at least one layer of cardboard, some two overlapping, and the tape held it securely into a nice tight bundle. The computer paper was really only to protect from abrasion and to keep the carts from getting tape on them (box was taped to the paper in places). It was a bit hard to open because it was such a tight little package and so well taped, but it got here just fine and the cartridges inside were in perfect condition. By making his own little parcel/box like this, he saved money, and provided safe effective packaging for the games.

Now, this wouldn't work for boxed games, since those really need to be packaged in a larger, crush-proof package, but still, it's a great way to mail a few carts that would otherwise rattle around in a bubble mailer.

-Ian

Here's one that happened to me. I found a game I wanted, then sent the seller a query as to whether he would ship the game in a box or envelope. Seller replied that he would use a box. I bid on the game. Two days later, the seller replies again, and says that he would only use a box if he were shipping more than one game.

Edited by Ransom

Here's one that happened to me. I found a game I wanted, then sent the seller a query as to whether he would ship the game in a box or envelope. Seller replied that he would use a box. I bid on the game. Two days later, the seller replies again, and says that he would only use a box if he were shipping more than one game.

Wow... if I'd won, I'd have negged him in that case, since he first said he would use a box. Truly, the carelessness and stupidity of so many people continues to amaze me.

Wow... if I'd won, I'd have negged him in that case, since he first said he would use a box. Truly, the carelessness and stupidity of so many people continues to amaze me.

Even better for me...the auction hadn't ended, and he'd modified the listing after I bid, so I rescinded my bid on that basis.

Then this morning, I got a nasty letter from him calling me a liar for saying he'd modified the listing. Hello! It says the listing's been modified right on the danged page!

To heck with eBay and its idiotic sellers. I'm out.

Edited by Ransom

Even better for me...the auction hadn't ended, and he'd modified the listing after I bid, so I rescinded my bid on that basis.

Then this morning, I got a nasty letter from him calling me a liar for saying he'd modified the listing. Hello! It says the listing's been modified right on the danged page!

To heck with eBay and its idiotic sellers. I'm out.

Yep, that sounds like a typical ebay "winner" to me.

My $132 Lynx Lemmings from Germany even came in a bubble mailer, after requesting a box MANY times. You just can't control them, even if you want to. I have five Sega CD (cardboards) coming this week. I paid $12 shipping, and was VERY clear. If that isn't in a box I think my head will explode. Yeah, it is bad out there on eBay. Sadly, all you can do is ask.

Oh, the Europeans are the worst. I say, 'ship it packaged carefully in a box', but only a few have really taken notice.

Basically you're sending something in an envelope that will support 70lbs (30kg) of mail on top of it. Some folks seem to think they the item is delivered on a down pillow by a white gloved delivery boy.

I would say, if you told them to ship in a box, and it cost as much as shipping in a box, and it was damaged in shipping, then give them a Negative. Otherwise, they'll never learn.

Oh, the Europeans are the worst.

Yep, especially the Germans and the Brits, I got a CIB Commando from the U.K. recently that didn't even come in a bubble mailer, the dude just wrapped it in brown paper. Lucky for him that I only wanted the cart as a donor. :roll:

I'm still receiving items I bought on eBay before I gave it up.

Today's item was a 5200 cart NIB, shrink-wrapped.

It smelled horribly of mold.

I un-shrinkwrapped it, and sure enough the whole thing was covered with (dormant) mold.

Even the label on the cart had it through and through.

The manual's pages were all stuck together with it.

Cleaning it up thoroughly enough to be sure that it wouldn't spread to anything else should the humidity get high enough is likely to destroy several the of things I value -- box, manual, label.

So it'll probably end up in the trash. Burned again!

I've contacted the seller, but I doubt I'll get anything out of that. The price was only a little more than shipping, so it won't be worth it to ship it back.

Edited by Ransom

I'll pay you for shipping the loose cart to me, the shell is always good. ;)

Does it matter that it's a CBS cart?

Crap, yes, I should have been more specific. :(

Does it matter that it's a CBS cart?

Crap, yes, I should have been more specific. :(

Oh, well. I guess this is one for the trash heap after all.

But if I come across ruined Atari brand 5200 carts . . .

You know, I have wondered something. In about how many years will a game like the 2600 Crystal Castles be really rare? I think I'll hord a couple because they will be virtually gone pretty soon. ;) :D

Edited by ninermaniac

You know, I have wondered something. In about how many years will a game like the 2600 Crystal Castles be really rare? I think I'll hord a couple because they will be virtually gone pretty soon. ;) :D

LOL, I wouldn't waste my time with that, considering the amount of brand new Dig Dug's that are still around. :D

If you believe some eBay sellers, anything pre-1995 is extremely rare and valuable. :D

But seriously, we probably won't live long enough for some carts to be really rare.

But if you're thinking of your great, great, great, great grandchildren...

Edited by Ransom

I got one yesterday...boxed C64 game crammed into a bubble envelope . The seller charged me $6 shipping and then sent it in an envelope for under $1. Box is now crushed (it also had rips, holes, and writing on the back that were not visible in the auction photo). Funny thing is, I bought a game from the same seller just a few weeks ago with no problems. You just never know.

Edited by PingvinBlueJeans

I got one yesterday...boxed C64 game crammed into a bubble envelope . The seller charged me $6 shipping and then sent it in an envelope for under $1. Box is now crushed (it also had rips, holes, and writing on the back that were not visible in the auction photo). Funny thing is, I bought a game from the same seller just a few weeks ago with no problems. You just never know.

Did you neg the seller?

..Al

Did you neg the seller?

I've requested a partial refund and I'm waiting to hear back fom the seller first. The best they're getting is a neutral at this point, with a negative very likely.

This is actually the second crushed box in the past week or so. The first was a CIB ColecoVision game sent in a flimsy box from Canada. The outer box was crushed flat, so I didn't even open the package...I refused it and it was returned to the seller. I'm waiting for a full refund on that one.