IGNORED

Oregon Trail

aside from the mostly text version, there was Mac DOS and Windows version across the board... plenty of color pictures and game play each having some good parts.

Oregan Trail

• The Oregon Trail (1971)
  • The Oregon Trail (1985)
  • Oregon Trail II
  • The Oregon Trail 3rd Edition
  • The Oregon Trail 4th Edition
  • The Oregon Trail 5th Edition
  • The Oregon Trail (2009)
  • The Oregon Trail:American_Settler
  • The Oregon Trail (2011)

The Amazon Trail

• The Amazon Trail
  • Amazon Trail II
  • Amazon Trail 3rd Edition

Other titles

• The Yukon Trail
  • MayaQuest: The Mystery Trail
  • Africa Trail

Wow, what a series!

Black and white for night, color for day? or maybe color for notable things that are happening. Just different ideas bouncing about :)

You can also add "Westward Ho!" to the list. Here's a partial description from the book, Basic Computer Adventures [David Ahl, 1986]:

Westward Ho! is a substantial revision of the Oregon Trail program written by Dan Rawitsch and Bill Heinemann in 1972–73 on the Hewlett Packard 2000 timesharing system of the Minnesota Educational Computer Consortium. The original Oregon Trail program was subsequently converted to Microsoft BASIC and appeared in Creative Computing magazine in 1977. Play of the game is similar in this new version, but the program has been structured (to some extent), simplified, and shortened by more than 300 lines.

You can read more and see the source code at https://www.atariarchives.org/bca/Chapter02_WestwardHo.php

-JP

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Mac and Windows versions of The Oregon Trail were pretty much the same thing. The DOS version of The Oregon Trail was basically the same as the Apple II version.

There are at least two versions of Oregon Trail on DOS. The original is pretty much the same as the well known A2 version. The "Deluxe" is just like the Mac version only in colour.

There are at least two versions of Oregon Trail on DOS. The original is pretty much the same as the well known A2 version. The "Deluxe" is just like the Mac version only in colour.

The deluxe version was in color, on color Macs. It was released for the Macs in 1991; Mac II's existed since 1987...

• 2 weeks later...

This is the version I have. MECC v1.2 from 1980

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Z5zwA-tw3Q

Okay, this is probably an irrelevant point ( and I haven't played this in ages), but can anyone tell me why any state is shown at all in the western US for that date aside from Missouri and Iowa? Wasn't this supposed to be "edutainment"? There must be a version out there without these anachronisms, right?

• 4 years later...
20 minutes ago, JagChris said:

I see what seems to be going on here. Its a raw basic file just sitting there not assigned to a disk image. I think I need to get it assigned to one somehow.

Anyone know how I can do that with the SD MAX?

I put the file on a disk with @JAC! autoboot routine, that enables Basic if it's disabled.

Oregon Trail (1982)(SoftSwap).atr

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Philsan said:

I put the file on a disk with @JAC! autoboot routine, that enables Basic if it's disabled.

Oregon Trail (1982)(SoftSwap).atr 90.02 kB · 2 downloads

Is this just supposed to be a hacked/ripped version of the original MECC game for the Atari called "Oregon"? [Edit: Answer, no. See below, and the post by Atarimania earlier in the thread.] It seems very similar.

I played it and found a bug while in the shooting phase (endless loop to nowhere).

I'll prefer the original MECC version released by Atari, which also has a manual and includes several other official MECC games. Never had any problems playing it.

Expeditions

• Like 1

Here's the opening REM lines from "The Oregon Trail" from SoftSwap (posted by @Philsan ).

0 REM OREGON TRAIL   JANUARY 1982
1 REM
2 REM SIMULATES PIONEER WAGON
3 REM TRIP TO THE WEST
4 REM
5 REM ATARI/40K
6 REM
7 REM DAN RAWITCH
8 REM CREATIVE COMPUTING 1978
9 REM ADAPTED BY TOM BEAL,KEITH ROLLIN AND CHRIS EDWARDS
10 REM ATARI VERSION BY JEFF WHITTAKER
15 REM ??????????????????????????????
16 REM |      SAN MATEO COUNTY      |
17 REM |     OFFICE OF EDUCATION    |
18 REM |            &               |
19 REM |  COMPUTER-USING EDUCATORS  |
20 REM |                            |
21 REM |          SOFTSWAP          |
22 REM |                            |
23 REM |333 MAIN STREET,REDWOOD CITY|
24 REM |CA 94063 (415)364-5600EX4401|
25 REM ??????????????????????????????
28 REM
29 REM ??????????????????????????????
30 REM | PROGRAM MAY  BE COPIED FOR |
31 REM |  EDUCATIONAL USE ONLY AND  |
32 REM | MAY NOT BE SOLD. COPYRIGHT |
33 REM |       1982 CUE,INC         |
34 REM ??????????????????????????????

So, it was their own adaptation from the Creative Computing 1978 game, different from MECC's but similar for obvious reasons.

@www.atarimania.com mentions San Mateo County Office of Education and SoftSwap earlier in this thread. Their version and many other programs by them (SoftSwap) can be found on Atarimania (all public domain / non-commercial).

MECC also released Expeditions in 1982, a year before its release with Atari. That version, which also includes documentation, has an entry on Atarimania, but the software itself isn't available.

I recommend the MECC version on Expeditions released with Atari. The SoftSwap version seems to have a bug (mentioned above) in the hunting routine. I also noticed that the keyboard input routine for hunting was slow and regularly missed keystrokes on the SoftSwap version.

The two versions are generally similar, but have some minor textual differences and information display differences. Status information is always displayed at the top of the MECC version, except during hunting. The SoftSwap version only displays the status information at the end of each round of events/choices.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, www.atarimania.com said:

You may want to give this one a try as well:

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-pioneer-experience-_3972.html

It's closer to an adventure but the inspiration is obvious.

Thanks, I hadn't seen that one before. I'll have to spend some time with it. From a quick look, it seems to be written as somewhat of an RPG-style/roaming game, rather than just following the trail continually.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DjayBee said:

Yep but he started in our territory and made several porgrams. Open the above link to Atarimania and click on his name.

Quite a few programs for Epyx and Crystalware. Nothing very noteworthy, except maybe Flapper for Romox. A lot of RPG-type stuff. Escape from Vulcan's Isle has a decent rating by a few people; never heard of it myself.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MrFish said:

Quite a few programs for Epyx and Crystalware. Nothing very noteworthy, except maybe Flapper for Romox. A lot of RPG-type stuff. Escape from Vulcan's Isle has a decent rating by a few people; never heard of it myself.

Also "The Nightmare" and one other - all based on the same scrolling modified char set engine it seems.  I enjoyed breaking into Vulcans Isle and Nightmare to make some changes :)

If you do play Vulacns Isle you need to make sure the disk is not write protected.  My "copy" I had write protected for some reason and I could never finish the game (atleast what I thought was the finish) - I combed through the entire island like 10 times and figured my copy was broken.  Once I removed the write protect tab the final sequence played out - not sure what it was writing to disk but cost me some hours!

Edited by Goochman
  • Like 1

From Wikipedia:

Benioff founded Salesforce in 1999[18] in a San Francisco apartment and defined its mission in a marketing statement as "The End of Software."[19] This was a slogan he used frequently to preach about software on the Web...

Another one of these guys...

28 minutes ago, MrFish said:

From Wikipedia:

Benioff founded Salesforce in 1999[18] in a San Francisco apartment and defined its mission in a marketing statement as "The End of Software."[19] This was a slogan he used frequently to preach about software on the Web...

Another one of these guys...

That same article goes on to state:

As of February 2022, Benioff had an estimated net worth of US$8.31 billion according to Bloomberg Billionaires Index.

So, I'd say he's done very well for himself, wealth-wise anyway. He's came a long way from his humble Atari 8-bit beginnings!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bfollowell said:

That same article goes on to state:

As of February 2022, Benioff had an estimated net worth of US$8.31 billion according to Bloomberg Billionaires Index.

So, I'd say he's done very well for himself, wealth-wise anyway. He's came a long way from his humble Atari 8-bit beginnings!

😮