IGNORED

Guy at work likes Atari

kyle

The graphic design guy where I work is a pretty nice guy and we talk some. Anyway today out of the blue I ask him if he ever played Atari much as a kid. He says yeah I did I loved it! He said even got one of the new atari 2600's with the games built in a couple of years ago. So I ask him what his favorite 2600 game was thinking he would say something like frogger or Miss Pac-Man. But he says Lock n Chase and Pitfall 2! Anyway just found it cool to talk to someone from some place other than Atariage that knew a little more about Atari than just Pac-Man and E.T.

Edited by kyle

i work at gamestop and my coworker and i talk about classic games and systems, ironically. we are fairly close in age and totally burnt out on modern gaming. its kinda hard to get excited when almost every game is a variation of one you've played a million times before. id take beef drop over call of duty any day.

heh I've talked to some coworkers about it.. one guy told me "You know what I had? I had the ODYSSEY.. ever heard of that!?!". I just feigned a casual awareness of it and he goes on to tell me about it and that it "had a keyboard" etc. (By the games he mentioned I deduced he meant the Odyssey 2, but I didnt tell him that). Then he said his sad story of how all the other kids had Atari and he had the Odyssey, and that he would spend a long time typing in a program, then he realized he couldn't turn it off :lol:

He then said he got an Atari 800 and from that point he tossed it. Ah well. He's a brilliant tech guy though.. he has no "nostalgia" for the old stuff including the Atari 800 because to him, it's all the same thing as to what he's doing now. i.e. Sitting in front of the A800 was just a previous iteration of him sitting in front of a pc which he does to this day.

We talked some more today and I asked him if he still had his old games. He said yeah in his mom's attic. I asked if he wanted to sell them if he wasn't going to play them anymore. He said he would go over sometime in the next couple of weeks and get them all and I could have em. Seems though the way he talks with such love for Atari maybe he should just get the stuff out of the attic and start playing it. Oh well I'll take it!

Edited by kyle

There's a secretary at my work who is a gamer. She is mostly a Nintendo fan (SNES her favorite), but she is fond of Jungle Hunt, Pitfall!, and Private Eye for the 2600. We had a Flashback 2 shootout once after work. And we traded high scores for awhile on the Activision Anthology for Game Boy Advance and for the Anthology version of Jungle Hunt for PC.

It is nice to have someone to talk to about the old systems and games, plus the new ones in light of the old. There's another female worker who is fond of the N64, but she mostly now plays the tiny, free games on the PC.

Plus, there is a woman who worked for Atari assembling the early 2600s, right after college. She has no interest in video games, however. And there is a guy who sold Sears Video Arcades and carts when he was in his college days. He also has no interest in video games either.

So there are quite a few Atari connections where I work. :)

• 1 month later...

HA! I work in a public College. Pretty much everyone I work with is 100. They remember Atari only because they bought it for their kids in the 70s. The only conversations I ever had at work about games was when one of my co-workers was trying to remember what system she bought her kids that she might have had home in the attic somewhere and a big conversation about the Wii when they pretty much all bought them. The system my co-worker had was a Vectrex by the way. She wasn't selling. :(

well, in one of my first jobs (back in the mid/late 80's) working for a graphics products supplier/importer etc in the west end (london) 2 of my colleagues liked the speccy, one liked the phillips gx4000 (odysee 2) and the manager of the shop (related to the owner) liked the amiga

I was the only one that liked the atari (even though is was the A8)

the manager had a go at me once for bringing in a 600xl i'd snagged from hamley's (yes, the toy shop) for 50 gbp

i work at gamestop and my coworker and i talk about classic games and systems, ironically. we are fairly close in age and totally burnt out on modern gaming. its kinda hard to get excited when almost every game is a variation of one you've played a million times before. id take beef drop over call of duty any day.

I went into your competitor's store today "Play n Trade" (because Gamestop doesn't keep any old Atari inventory) and brought in a huge stack of Pac-Man, Space Invaders, Asteroids and Combat carts because a guy told me over the phone that they buy them back for $2 a piece. Unfortunately, that guy gave me the wrong information, because when I went in they were only willing to pay $.25 to $.50 per game. $2 a cart seemed like a good deal for all my extra commons, but 'oh well'. The same guy told me that they sell old Atari's for $20, but the girl at the store today (who spelled Pac-Man "PAQ") insisted that any Atari sells for over $100 on eBay. They're pretty organized and knowledgeable in there :ponder:

A good reliable source of common atari games can be found at your local "Movie Trading Comapny" if they operate out of your area. Find them on the web here: http://www.movietradingcompany.com I have over 150 atari games thanks to them. Most sell for $1.99 to .99 each. I found a copy of Mr. Do! for $1.99 yesterday.

B

The graphic design guy where I work is a pretty nice guy and we talk some. Anyway today out of the blue I ask him if he ever played Atari much as a kid. He says yeah I did I loved it! He said even got one of the new atari 2600's with the games built in a couple of years ago. So I ask him what his favorite 2600 game was thinking he would say something like frogger or Miss Pac-Man. But he says Lock n Chase and Pitfall 2! Anyway just found it cool to talk to someone from some place other than Atariage that knew a little more about Atari than just Pac-Man and E.T.

As crazy as this topic is, I have actually experienced happiness in delivering a "good deed"--recruiting a late twenties (NES gen) co-worker into Atari. He vaguely remembered it. He had Atari Flashback for the 360 and thought that was good enough. I told him, no, no, no...

He was shocked by the difference in game play with just the paddles alone!

I also showed him the Vectrex (I have yet to run into someone who remembers this). Only a true gamer can appreciate the value of the "trail" effect in vector gaming--impossible to emulate. Everyone else: "so it's just lines?"