IGNORED

What was your favorite arcade hang out back in the day?

Does it still exist? What games did they have?

Mine was Friar Tucks game room in Cal City IL. and Lincoln Mall if I remember the name in the Chicago area.

Lincoln had a huge game room with the oddball Universal and Exidy titles.

Tucks was completely decked out with fake armor, a pond and fake trees to simulate sherwood forest. The arcade games were mostly the most popular games newly released games.

There were other local candy stores that had arcades around town but those two places had at least 50 to 100 arcade machines (and pinball games).

Our local Sears also had a big arade room on the 2nd floor where I first saw Joust and Gorf.

When I was a kid, there was a small independently owned place called Arcade Pizza. ALL of the tables were cocktail type arcade machines, and if I remember right, each table was a different game, too. They had a HUGE area in the back for the arcade proper, too. I remember tossing coins into Galaga like no tomorrow, lol. The pie wasn't bad, either. Nice and thick Chicago style. They're no longer around, in fact, they closed shop before I even left the town they were in, but man, it was fun to go there while it lasted.

I don't even remember the name of the place now.

There was a hole in the wall arcade in an old strip mall. They served food there, stuff like hot dogs and frozen pizza (I don't think I ever ate there but might have gotten cokes) and they also rented VHS movies. Every week I'd get my allowance and bike up to that place and get $5 worth of tokens. This was a great deal because you got like 24 tokens for $5 but only 4 tokens for $1.

I'd usually spend a few hours there till the $5 was gone then bike it home to play Atari.

I'm certain it's not there anymore.

The Dixie Bowl in Valley Station,Kentucky and while we had a few other arcades in town the Dixie Bowl was the place to go play arcade games for us.

Crazy Climber,Moon Patrol,Gauntlet,Omega Race,Donkey Kong,Battlezone and many others called the Dixie Bowl there home and got more than there share of coins from me.

I have not been back there in years but from what i have been told from a old friend of mine that still lives in Kentucky that the Bowl is still there(no ideal on what if any games they have anymore). :)

We had two arcade's in our mall in Terre Haute, Indiana. One was called Galaxy and the other was Time Out. Galaxy was the hangout spot. It was dark, with neon's, and glow in the dark carpet. When you walked into the area you where cut off from the rest of the mall. It ceased to exist in the dark glowing room. Time Out was bright with lot's of window's and more kiddie games. You also had ticket machine's in Time Out. Sadly only Time Out remains and they still have kiddie games and DDR Machines. Galaxy went out of business in the mid 90's and is now a Verizon phone area.

Edited by Ghost Soldier

The original arcade in my hometown, which was called 3PO's, went out of business with the crash. The pool hall/arcade (Jokers') in a nearby town that we went to all through middle and high school moved to a smaller space with a new name about ten years ago... I haven't been in in a long time, but I don't think they have many machines. The one I played at constantly in college (The Electric Wizard), which always had three pinball machines and cheap beer, has been gone for at least five years. And the two other ones in town have gone away in the last few years, so there's no real arcade here at all anymore. :(

Our local 7-Eleven two blocks from my house.

Throughout Jr. High a bunch of us would watch and play before school, and many times after school - that is until my mother laid down the law and put an end to the after-school hijinx.

That store had two arcade machines at any given time but they were always top games like Defender, Stargate, Phoenix, Galaxian, Zaxxon, Asteroids, Space Invaders, Pac Man, Ms. Pac Man, etc.

Watching some of these guys play the games was even more fun than playing myself , especially when someone can master arcade Defender and Stargate - that was pretty intense to watch.

Fantasy Isle in downtown Fond du Lac, Wisconsin. The first floor was a D&D shop, which was cool in itself, but if you took the spiral staircase up to the 2nd floor it was an awesome arcade. They did up the walls in paper mache or something to look like a cave. It was dark, it had a great selection of games for being a smaller place, and they'd have occasional deals like Sunday afternoon $5 to enter with all the games on free play. I loved that place, but it's long since been out of business.

The Alladin's Castle in the mall lasted a long time, well into the 90s, but I have no idea if that's around any more. I went because it was there, but it was a typical bright mall arcade, and didn't have the mojo of Fantasy Isle.

Edited by BydoEmpire

Fantasy Isle in downtown Fond du Lac, Wisconsin. The first floor was a D&D shop, which was cool in itself, but if you took the spiral staircase up to the 2nd floor it was an awesome arcade. They did up the walls in paper mache or something to look like a cave. It was dark, it had a great selection of games for being a smaller place, and they'd have occasional deals like Sunday afternoon $5 to enter with all the games on free play. I loved that place, but it's long since been out of business.

The Alladin's Castle in the mall lasted a long time, well into the 90s, but I have no idea if that's around any more. I went because it was there, but it was a typical bright mall arcade, and didn't have the mojo of Fantasy Isle.

Heya... The Aladdin's Castle isn't there any more. I lived near FDL about 8 years ago. I do remember that there was a niche with some arcade machines for a bit, but it was pretty empty... I don't think it had that name. I'm fairly certain it's gone now, but I haven't been in that mall for about 4 years.

Incidentally, there was a recent thread about this about 2 months ago: http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...=137872&hl=

Edited by Lendorien

When I was a kid, there was an arcade I went to, simply called "Pinnochio", where the machines were put on free play for a few hours during the week-ends, and all you had to pay was a flat fee at the entrance. You could try all the games they had in an unlimited fashion, although it was a pretty popular place, so all the most popular machines were always taken. Still, I loved to go there. Good memories. :)

Today, not only is the arcade gone, but the whole shopping mall has been torn down! It's nothing but a huge vacant lot now.

Back in the early 80's i used to go to this arcade located in a strip mall which is still there,not the arcade though.Pretty hilarious at times.There was these two brothers that used to go there probably 9-10 years old.Their father used to come over almost everyday and grab them and give them heck for wasting ther money there.I used to go at night and play Jungle King,Dig-Dug and Gorf,those were my favorites.Arcades are history,at least where i live,zero to be found.Arcade quality home video gaming has killed arcades :(

Mr. Billiards in Allen Park was the best place to hang out

the arcade games were crammed into the place along with many pool tables. the games were comming and going so fast in that place it was hard to get used to just one game because it could be gone the next day

the funny thing is that my mom used to work there when i was a very very little kid

another place was a drug store that had about 7 games in the back area where the bottle returns were placed

this was the first place i could get to easily on a BMX in the early to middle 80's. it had the star wars game and many other classics like donkey kong/Jr and popeye and even crazy kong i think and jungle hunt (it might have had a different name tho). i didnt spend much there because you could lift the plastic screen covers up and out on 4 games then stick your hand down and hit the credit button :D

another place i spent alot of time at in the 90's was called Cushion Cue (i think thats the name) it was above a bowling alley called The Thunderbowl. it onlt had a handfull of games but it had the Golf Tee game with the spin ball.

the bowling alley also had some game in it to. i remember playing Rampage alot there

then the 50 cent a game time came into play which killed almost all the places above. Mr. Billiards was the first to do this and then alot of the games disapeared being replaced by more pool tables and a pool stick store thingy where the games used to be