IGNORED

Dreamcast coming back at $99

Yeah these are not new systems being produced. Sega had a TON of extra DCs after they pulled the plug. These are still old stock. One of my wholesalers still sells these brand new. I haven't been carrying them lately because new ones weren't selling. I was selling them for $84.99. Now everyone's all excited to see them for $99.

I have a brand new one for sale here for $45.00:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=140056

I know this is a massively popular console (though I hated the controllers with a passion) but I've yet to really see a reason to get one.

Point of buying a new one? Some people just like things new.

Point of buying a Dreamcast new or used? There are many. I have been playing mine a lot lately.

Also I liked the controller, except for the cord coming out of the bottom.

Edited by StoneAgeGamer

The Dreamcast controller was a great design and a terrible design at the same time. Great button layout but the lack of a second stick and the fact that the stick it did have a was flimsy as hell didn't help much. The overall feel of the controller was cheap but it was actually quite expensive. Kinda like a Madcatz PS1 controller.

I know this is a massively popular console (though I hated the controllers with a passion) but I've yet to really see a reason to get one.

Point of buying a new one? Some people just like things new.

Point of buying a Dreamcast new or used? There are many. I have been playing mine a lot lately.

Also I liked the controller, except for the cord coming out of the bottom.

Being able to run homebrew games is reason enough for me to have one. It stays hooked up in my house :!:

Now if I could only find the GD-ROM drives as spare parts and not pull them from working consoles, I'd be able to fix the broken ones I have, too.

What would be simply sweet is if TecToy started making them.

Nathan

Edited by nathanallan

Marvel vs. Capcom 2 with an Agetec or x arcade stick. Yeah, it's that good. Sega fishing. Yeah that's another one. House of the Dead 2 with the light gun. Another good reason. Playing Quake III online. Playing Unreal Tournament with the Panther DC stick. If you want to try a system that really had many accessories and possibilities, here ya go! Oh, did I mention the Treamcast. Portable and extremely fun to use. There are too many reasons too list. Just get one! :D ;)

Is it possible that DC game prices are going to go up a bit because of this? I'd imagine it wouldn't, but I have only been collecting old games and systems for a couple of years. Just curious.

Marketing can always seem to drive prices up a little. It's the harder, more rare items that will more than likely go up in price IMO.

SO let me get this straight

i can buy a BRAND NEW ( old stock) SEALED

dreamcast?

FOR $99!!!!!!

O_O

well i wouldn't mind buying one, i try to buy everything in two's one will be my display one will be my used one.,

I buy two so when the used one gets scratched it doesn't affect me much, i do keep VERY good care of my systems though.

Im tempted to.

anyone have some places I could buy them at online?

Shipping to canada?

SEALED UNOPENED :x

Check with stoneagegamer, he may have another hiding out.

I will probably order more on my next wholesale order from my supplier. However that may not be for a few weeks. I will be selling them for $84.99. Not really worth it to special order these since I'm not making much off them.

Or I could buy a new PS2 for $99, or I could buy a used X Box or Gamecube from Gamestop with a 1 year warrenty for much less.

Not to poop on anyone's parade but this really isn't a good deal.

I could buy a used N64 for a lot less than I could buy a brand new one. However, I have personally sold brand new N64s for a lot more than $99. I will agree that its not that great of a deal since there is still a lot of new DC stock out there, however comparing a brand new system to used systems doesn't make sense. Of course used systems are dramatically cheaper. Also I'm pretty sure a PS2, XBox, or Gamecube do not play Dreamcast games so I'm not sure why you are comparing them to a Dreamcast.

Edited by StoneAgeGamer

Check with stoneagegamer, he may have another hiding out.

I will probably order more on my next wholesale order from my supplier. However that may not be for a few weeks. I will be selling them for $84.99. Not really worth it to special order these since I'm not making much off them.

Or I could buy a new PS2 for $99, or I could buy a used X Box or Gamecube from Gamestop with a 1 year warrenty for much less.

Not to poop on anyone's parade but this really isn't a good deal.

I could buy a used N64 for a lot less than I could buy a brand new one. However, I have personally sold brand new N64s for a lot more than $99. I will agree that its not that great of a deal since there is still a lot of new DC stock out there, however comparing a brand new system to used systems doesn't make sense. Of course used systems are dramatically cheaper. Also I'm pretty sure a PS2, XBox, or Gamecube do not play Dreamcast games so I'm not sure why you are comparing them to a Dreamcast.

I think what he was going for was the fact that a huge majority of DC exclusives made their way to the PS2, Xbox and Gamecube. Seaman, Sega GT, Sonic Adventure, Jest Set Radio Future, Space Channel 5, Ikaruga, Rez, Project Gotham Racing, Samba De Amigo, the 2K games, Daytona USA, Ferrari F355 Challenge.......I could go on

I think what he was going for was the fact that a huge majority of DC exclusives made their way to the PS2, Xbox and Gamecube. Seaman, Sega GT, Sonic Adventure, Jest Set Radio Future, Space Channel 5, Ikaruga, Rez, Project Gotham Racing, Samba De Amigo, the 2K games, Daytona USA, Ferrari F355 Challenge.......I could go on

Touche.

You still don't get the whole feeling of playing a Dreamcast. It definitely has its own style (I like it).

I tend to really like the controllers, much better than the PS2 controllers. They're larger and don't cramp my hands, and that's the whole reason behind it for me. The programmers really jumped through hoops to make them work, having less buttons than others.

$99 isn't that great a deal, but still not unreasonable. Wouldn't be my first choice. If it came with a couple of games or accessories I'd be more tempted, though.

Nathan

I literally screamed for joy when I saw that. A bit expensive but with enough scrapping and saving I would definitely make time to buy it. The days of my youth. Where did they go?

Edited by Atari6660

Fair point but...

Sega GT - I've no idea how good the PC version was but Sega GT 2002 on Xbox was a step up.

Sonic Adventure - Sonic Adventure DX for GameCube is widely acknowledged as not playing as well as the DC original.

Jet Set Radio - Yep, JSR Future on Xbox definitely improved things in most areas although some feel the gameplay changes didn't necessarily improve things.

Space Channel 5 - Graphically inferior conversion for PS2.

Ikaruga - Yep, the GameCube conversion was sweet and offered clearer display quality via a component cable in addition to the 'net world high score rankings.

Rez - Killer HD version on XBLA. PS2 version had a better frame rate but rougher graphics, i.e. jaggies due to PS2's lack of anti-aliasing and video RAM relative to DC.

Project Gotham Racing - Very much open to debate insofar as the Xbox sequels go as even though graphics & menu screens were improved many consider the DC original's gameplay to be superior. As I said, this ones very subjective.

Samba De Amigo - Wii update features much of what made DC's SdA & SdA ver.2000 great plus some cool additions but its ultimately very much inferior due to major issues regarding the Wii Remote's limitations.

Edited by dreamcastrip

Fair point but...

Sega GT - I've no idea how good the PC version was but Sega GT 2002 on Xbox was a step up.

Sonic Adventure - Sonic Adventure DX for GameCube is widely acknowledged as not playing as well as the DC original.

Jet Set Radio - Yep, JSR Future on Xbox definitely improved things in most areas although some feel the gameplay changes didn't necessarily improve things.

Space Channel 5 - Graphically inferior conversion for PS2.

Ikaruga - Yep, the GameCube conversion was sweet and offered clearer display quality via a component cable in addition to the 'net world high score rankings.

Rez - Killer HD version on XBLA. PS2 version had a better frame rate but rougher graphics, i.e. jaggies due to PS2's lack of anti-aliasing and video RAM relative to DC.

Project Gotham Racing - Very much open to debate insofar as the Xbox sequels go as even though graphics & menu screens were improved many consider the DC original's gameplay to be superior. As I said, this ones very subjective.

Samba De Amigo - Wii update features much of what made DC's SdA & SdA ver.2000 great plus some cool additions but its ultimately very much inferior due to major issues regarding the Wii Remote's limitations.

Sonic Adventure just felt better on the Gamecube due to the imply awesome controller. Project Gotham Racing was such a step up from Metropolis Street Racer graphically alone that it's just inconceivable. The Dreamcast is a powerful console and definitely more powerful than the PS2 but the Xbox, graphically, just shit all over it. Had the DC been allowed to live and had it been pushed to its limits, I could see Wii quality graphics in 1080p which is what the Xbox pretty much did at the end of its life..

You still don't get the whole feeling of playing a Dreamcast. It definitely has its own style (I like it).

I tend to really like the controllers, much better than the PS2 controllers. They're larger and don't cramp my hands, and that's the whole reason behind it for me. The programmers really jumped through hoops to make them work, having less buttons than others.

$99 isn't that great a deal, but still not unreasonable. Wouldn't be my first choice. If it came with a couple of games or accessories I'd be more tempted, though.

Nathan

Get a DAP (SCPH-1180) for your PS2. You're a hardware guy and you probably have a controller with a compatible rumble motor. You might even be able to figure out how to make the console recognize it as a Dual Shock 2.

It's quite a bit bigger than the Dual Shock controllers, and IMO it is the best first party PlayStation pad ever made.