IGNORED

Are you going to buy a Harmony cart for the Atari 2600?

The Harmony Cartridge  

262 members have voted

1. 1. Are you going to buy a Harmony cart?

• Yes!
    • No.
    • Maybe, if it doesn

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but does it matter what size SD card I use.

I notice that someone mentioned that you can't find a 32mb SD card anymore, and that appears to be true.

Although it would be just slightly overkill icon_wink.gif would I still be able to use a 2 GB SD card ?

Sorry if this has been asked before, but does it matter what size SD card I use.

I notice that someone mentioned that you can't find a 32mb SD card anymore, and that appears to be true.

Although it would be just slightly overkill icon_wink.gif would I still be able to use a 2 GB SD card ?

You can use an SD or SDHC card up to 32 GB. I have an 8 GB in one of mine.

I picked one of these up at the expo and it's incredible. I'm using mine on a 2600 Jr., 2 GB Kingston MicroSD w/o problems. The only issue I had was seeing the fading text of the game titles in the menus, which made it kinda hard to read. Other than that, I've been thrilled with my cart (#4)!

-Dain

Yeah, I want to thank you for the opportunity as well. For some time I've been looking for a way to reliably test my own code on the 2600. Making my own devcart wasn't going so well (problems implementing bankswitching and my crappy EPROM programmer is acting funny), so I can't say how great this opportunity is.

Now I have to consider buying 2, one for the my woody and one to hardwire into a FB2.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I remember reading that the Harmony doesn't work with the FB2.

-Disjaukifa

The menu does not work, but most games work if loaded as single images.

Now I have to consider buying 2, one for the my woody and one to hardwire into a FB2.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I remember reading that the Harmony doesn't work with the FB2.

-Disjaukifa

The menu does not work, but most games work if loaded as single images.

Oh ok well then I guess you could use it with FB2, but you would have to load just one game at a time . . . still not terrible.

-Disjaukifa

All variants? I was to understand rev. B and C FB2s were perfect 2600a reproductions and would do anything the real deal could. The idea was to load every game ever made and stick it inside, creating an ultimate FB2.

That is not correct. The hardware plays a decent percentage of the games but it is far from a perfect reproduction, even with the last revision.

Some of the undocumented 650x instructions were not implemented (which homebrews use) and the write timing is not the same, causing any carts using RAM or the data bus in their bankswitching logic to fail. Actually, it's not clear if the write signals are present at all.

Anyway, if the other developers think it's worth doing, we might be able to get the menu to work on an FB2. We'll see.

Anyway, if the other developers think it's worth doing, we might be able to get the menu to work on an FB2. We'll see.

I would personally not worry about it. Out of all the FB2s out there, I can't imagine more than a very small percentage actually having been modified with a cartridge port. While an interesting exercise, why bother when 100% compatible Atari 2600 consoles are plentiful and cheap?

..Al

• Like 1

I would personally not worry about it. Out of all the FB2s out there, I can't imagine more than a very small percentage actually having been modified with a cartridge port. While an interesting exercise, why bother when 100% compatible Atari 2600 consoles are plentiful and cheap?

..Al

Actually I was just about to ask if the Flashback 2 came with a cartridge slot because I didn't think it did and Albert you just answered my question!!!

Thanks

Disjaukifa

FB2 is small. light, and already AV from the the factory. Not a big deal, just a neat idea I had.

Yeah, the built in a/v output is nice, I will grant you that. But a 2600 Jr. is probably about the same size. There are many A/V mods for the 2600 that will give you s-video output, which are way easier to do than modifying a Flashback 2 with a cartridge port. :D

..Al

FB2 is small. light, and already AV from the the factory. Not a big deal, just a neat idea I had.

Yeah, the built in a/v output is nice, I will grant you that. But a 2600 Jr. is probably about the same size. There are many A/V mods for the 2600 that will give you s-video output, which are way easier to do than modifying a Flashback 2 with a cartridge port. :D

..Al

Yeah I keep trying to decide its work doing the S-Video mod to my 4 Switcher, do ya'll think its worth it and how difficult is it?

Thanks

Disjaukifa

Yeah I keep trying to decide its work doing the S-Video mod to my 4 Switcher, do ya'll think its worth it and how difficult is it?

I would buy an off-the-shelf mod like Longhorn Engineer's:

http://www.longhornengineer.com/Videomods/Videomods

He'll also mod systems for you if you don't want to do the work yourself. It's not very difficult to install one of these mods.

..Al

I would buy an off-the-shelf mod like Longhorn Engineer's:

http://www.longhornengineer.com/Videomods/Videomods

He'll also mod systems for you if you don't want to do the work yourself. It's not very difficult to install one of these mods.

..Al

Thanks for the link, I'm going to have to look into doing that to my 4 switch 2600 . . . need to sell some other stuff first.

-Disjaukifa

I spent over 100 dollars on a modified S-Video Atari 2600 and the unremovable sound chip died. Big waste of money. That's one reason why I can't wait until someone makes a new Atari 2600 clone with all new parts and modern hookups. A portable one with a big screen would be nice too.

I spent over 100 dollars on a modified S-Video Atari 2600 and the unremovable sound chip died. Big waste of money. That's one reason why I can't wait until someone makes a new Atari 2600 clone with all new parts and modern hookups. A portable one with a big screen would be nice too.

I realize this is really off the original topic but how difficult would it to be just design and build an Atari 2600 clone. I mean we have the members here who designed the Harmony, which in my mind is WAY more complicated than the 2600 . . . but I might be wrong about that. I just wonder if its possible to be a new Atari 2600 and go ahead an incorporate the better sound and better video.

-Disjaukifa

I realize this is really off the original topic but how difficult would it to be just design and build an Atari 2600 clone. I mean we have the members here who designed the Harmony, which in my mind is WAY more complicated than the 2600 . . . but I might be wrong about that. I just wonder if its possible to be a new Atari 2600 and go ahead an incorporate the better sound and better video.

Like you said, off topic--please start a new thread.

..Al