IGNORED

Are they still making official NES consoles?

Honestly, why are there still so many of them? My NES was given to me with packaging (no box, just original polystyrene) and it looks brand new. I wasn't allowed to know the sources so I'll just assume it was originally stolen, but why is it that after 25 years there's still loads of them in perfect condition?

How do you make them look good as new anyway? My SNES is a little grotty.

Here's mine.

Yes, I am a Britfag.

post-23186-1243263008_thumb.jpg

post-23186-1243263020_thumb.jpg

post-23186-1243263054_thumb.jpg

post-23186-1243263073_thumb.jpg

post-23186-1243263100_thumb.jpg

No, the last Official NES produced in the UK and US was in 1995 i believe. But heard japan still had them made several years after!( 2003 i think). However, there are brand new NES clones you can easily find from the internet like tha Retro Duo.

About making them look like new? I say some good ole' fashioned Polish wouldn't go a miss! A good scrubbin' should bring them right back .(Make sure you get between the grills!). However, i have a SNES that has been yellowed somewhat. If thats what you're talking about, then theres nothing you can do to make it grey again. Its the plastic itself that changed colour (UV damage is a bitch lol). Maybe you can spray paint over them?

Edited by <Retro-Freak>

My guess is because there were so many NES made because it was at one point the most popular game system around.

All my friends had NES just like when we were younger we all had Atari 2600 lol.

As far as making them look "new" again i think its just how people store and take care of them is why many still look new.

I mean i go down to the local "mom and pop" game shop and there is a stack of them sitting behind the counter with some looking brand new and some looking like they have been dunked in a toilet.

Some people i understand will take there NES apart and bleach them or use some sort of cleaner on the outer shell to get rid of all the dirty and grim and yellowish tint some of these get.

But of course it could be a whole "grade of plastic" thing too because i think different grades of plastic they used to make the NES shells could yellow while other will not(I think its like this with the SNES too).

Edited by jboypacman

As stated above, the NES has not made produced in years. The reason that there are so many units in great shape still to be found is that there were millions of them made so there's bound to be a great amount of well preserved consoles among the myriad of run-of-the-mill ones.

Nintendo just recently stopped supporting the NES. It wasn't very well advertised, but up until some time around 2005, you could still get the unit serviced and I think you could even buy accessories from Nintendo themselves. They're pretty good about customer service.

Similarly, Sony still supports the old gray versions of the PS1. I was able to download an instruction manual from their website late last night.

Edited by shadow460

WTG for supporting someone who possibly steals video games and admitting to taking something that you knew might be stolen before you got it ,in writing, and in the public domain.

You can be charged as an accessory to theft and possession of stolen property with a good prosecutor and statementls like that I think. :ponder:

Just fyi, doing that stuff generally isn\'t a good idea.

Huh Shadow, while I knew when they stopped selling them, I didn\'t know that they still supported the NES for so long.

Honestly, why are there still so many of them? My NES was given to me with packaging (no box, just original polystyrene) and it looks brand new. I wasn\'t allowed to know the sources so I\'ll just assume it was originally stolen, but why is it that after 25 years there\'s still loads of them in perfect condition?

How do you make them look good as new anyway? My SNES is a little grotty.

Here's mine.

Yes, I am a Britfag.

Yeah, the NES isn't officially supported anymore, but everybody seems to make parts and accessories still. I mean, it's easy to find new controllers and wires etc. Hmmm...I might get some guns form Stone age gamer...that would be cool.

The consoles aren't like other toys of the era, they tended to stay put and get played with in one spot, it's the controllers that got regularly destroyed. I know we wore the things out, I don't mean got them dirty, I mean cleaned them so many times the contacts physically wore off, or the rubber cracked and fell apart (or lost it's carbon dot)

Add to that, there wasn't as big a used console market back then, so your system tended to stay in the family, and either get cared for, or forgotten, while newer consoles will change hands time and time again untill they completely wear out.

WTG for supporting someone who possibly steals video games and admitting to taking something that you knew might be stolen before you got it ,in writing, and in the public domain.

You can be charged as an accessory to theft and possession of stolen property with a good prosecutor and statementls like that I think. :ponder:

I don't know how I got it, but I don't know the sources either so please stick to the topic. As far as I know I'm clean.

Forgive me for not being super specific, but there is some new procedure out there for making consoles look like new. On these boards is a link to a guy who's a chemical engineer who figured out why consoles turn yellow, and more importantly how to reverse the effects. It's a mix of Hydrogen Peroxide & Oxyclean or something like that. It chemically reverts the plastic back to the original color without weakening the plastic the way that bleach does. A quick search should dig up the article.

Forgive me for not being super specific, but there is some new procedure out there for making consoles look like new. On these boards is a link to a guy who's a chemical engineer who figured out why consoles turn yellow, and more importantly how to reverse the effects. It's a mix of Hydrogen Peroxide & Oxyclean or something like that. It chemically reverts the plastic back to the original color without weakening the plastic the way that bleach does. A quick search should dig up the article.

Well, as long as it doesn't damage the ink in any way I'll totally buy that.

Could you cite us a link please? I'm quite interested. My SNES has yellowed somewhat.

Could you cite us a link please? I'm quite interested. My SNES has yellowed somewhat.

Here's the story on Lifehacker.

Exactly... that's why we still find so many Atari systems on Ebay, in pawn shops, etc, and over 30 years later!!! Just imagine how many were thrown away though! Makes me sad...

One funny story... My parents used to buy my sister and I a new Atari every single year ("From Santa" i mean) because we would break ours just roughhousing around, every year we had a new Atari! It was so fun. lol. Which is why I'm such a huge Atari fanatic now ;-) I can remember waiting in line at a local grocery store back in 83 (i think it was) to purchase Pac-Man for Atari 2600 and if i recall it was like $50!! And there was a line wrapped around the grocery store waiting to buy it! lol. just imagine! we still see this kind of thing today, and if it weren't for Atari, we would not have the great gaming markets we have today. Atari made so many mistakes because they were literally the FIRST video gaming company, so other companies have had it easy learning from Atari's mistakes! But i digress...

B

As stated above, the NES has not made produced in years. The reason that there are so many units in great shape still to be found is that there were millions of them made so there's bound to be a great amount of well preserved consoles among the myriad of run-of-the-mill ones.

If dentists pursue a smiler technique to whiten there patients teeth, then surely that would make the console brighter instead of reversing the UV damage? I mean, is it really a chemical reaction that can be undone? Is the next step to be removing the effects of a burned object?

If dentists pursue a smiler technique to whiten there patients teeth, then surely that would make the console brighter instead of reversing the UV damage? I mean, is it really a chemical reaction that can be undone? Is the next step to be removing the effects of a burned object?

Did you look at the pictures? It seems to work ok.

Anyone got a recipe for Retr0Bright? I have a Game Boy brick that's been stained by cigarette smoke, and I think this might make it white again.

Well, with burn victims they use some similar technique to bring the skin back to its normal colour.