IGNORED

Atari 2600 Hacks and Homebrews ROM Collection V1.2

Impaler_26

"Complete" according to who? Good2600 expects that you include all the garbage (bad dumps, overdumps, duplicates, etc) that RH has been working hard to eliminate from his collection. You'll always fall short according to it (and there's so much misinformation regarding "verified good dumps" that I don't even bother using GoodTools anymore).

• Like 1

can these files be played into a supercharger?
Provided that they are only 4k or 2k roms, yes (2k roms need to be doubled in size to fill the entire "unbanked" sections of the Supercharger's memory). However, certian games access the "hotspot" addresses that the Supercharger hardware implements to reach beyond the native 4k limit (i.e. for it's own games). Such rom programs would need to be altered to remove these address calls...or the user could "mod" the Supercharger hardware to add a physical "read-only" switch that can be toggled once a romfile has been loaded - virtually making the entire 2k/4k library executable, but there are a handful of exceptions (usually due to "bad" programming) which may not function correctly using the Supercharger hardware whether it was modded or not.

Romfiles greater than 4k in size which were not made specifically for the Supercharger are incompatable. However...there was a Supercharger-type product made in Brazil which can also load games that used the "standard" 8k bankswitching method (no added RAM, etc) in addition to all the rest that Arcadia's version can handle.

what do you use to convert the file to audio?
Bob Colbert's "Makewav" program...to convert a binary rom image into the audio pulses compatable with the Supercharger (which then can be played back using pretty much any audio device that has a headphone jack...or recorded to an actual cassette tape). Keep in mind that if you use a CD-rom burner to create a disc compatable with standard CD players, you are bound to the "99 track limit" present in the CD audio format (i.e. you'd only be able to put 99 games on a single CD audio disc). MP3 players and such have no limits.

can i do it in linux?
Nick Bensema's page says that you can. Try his files made specifically for Linux:

http://www.prismnet.com/~nickb/atari/bin/linuxVCS.zip

Edited by Nukey Shay

can i do it in linux?
Nick Bensema's page says that you can. Try his files made specifically for Linux:

http://www.prismnet.com/~nickb/atari/bin/linuxVCS.zip

I can confirm that Makewav works fine in Linux. I use version 4.2, which you can find here. The zip file contains the dos/windows executable and the source code, so you can compile it in Linux.

There's also Playbin: this one will play directly the audio through the soundcard (no wav file is generated) and has a graphical user interface. This is a windows-only application, but you can run it in Linux with wine. The latest version should be the one for the Cuttle Cart, which you can download here.

so does any one have a 100% COMPLETE collection of atari 2600 roms? I know rom hunter is missing a few of them in his latest collection.

EDIT: Also nicely sorted and organized?

Thanks!

You know my collection only contains 1977-1992 ROMs, right?

And trust me: a 100% COMPLETE collection of Atari ROMs will NEVER be nicely sorted and organized.

It will be complete mess.

8)

• 1 year later...

Funny you should ask as i'm just working on an "update pack" for this collection. :lol:

I plan to post it just in time before Xmas so stay tuned...

Please let me know when you do this release, as I'd like to get the ROM database in Stella updates afterwards.

Not sure if I saw all of our AtariAge homebrew in there. here are links to mine:

Nitebear on Sleepystreet

CandyBar

Drunken Pooper

Uppa Creek!

Cyber Willy

M.M.S.B.C.

Yep, this collection is far from complete so there are still many ROMs missing. I already added all of your games but just to be sure - is the final version of Nitebear on Sleepystreet the one in the first post??

Yep, this collection is far from complete so there are still many ROMs missing. I already added all of your games but just to be sure - is the final version of Nitebear on Sleepystreet the one in the first post??

Yeah. A newb mistake. Somehow I confused everyone into thinking the first post didn't contain the final game. It's been haunting me ever since :P Thanks for adding the games Impaler_26!

Here's a tiny pack with all the holiday/winter themed roms from my collection, just in time before Xmas. :)

I'll post the update pack next week, i still have to double-check all included roms (~500) and create a text file.

2600 Holiday ROMs.zip

Awesome nice work. cant wait to see the rest!!

Good job on pack 1. But wow thats quite a wait for the rest. Did you rename them to give the creator props cuz thats cool.

Anyway awesome job!

Scott

Of course i renamed all the roms to give the creators proper credit (except for maybe 6 where i don't know who made them). Digging through a bunch of roms is fun but also quite tiresome so i'll just take a little "time off" before i release the next pack. :D

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...