IGNORED

Need a Brainstorming Session!

classicgamingguy

I have an Atari 2600, light six version (woodgrain), that won't seem to power on. I have it hooked to an old television set (a Magnavox with the VHF/UHF screws) with the original switchbox. I turn on the power to the Atari, and nothing. No picture, no visual sign that the game is even on.

I could use your help narrowing down the problems. I'm assuming the unit itself is okay, but I think it could be the power adapter and/or the switchbox. Any and all thoughts would be most welcome. The televison powers up, the screen looks fine, the remote changes the channels and all that, the LED (yeah, LED display for channels) works great, and volume control works fine as well.

I need some ideas on how to narrow down the problem for fixing. It's probably just the adapter, but since I'm not overly technical about stuff like this, I figured you out there could assist, since several of you can strip one of these units down and rebuild it from the ground up.

Thanks for your help, everyone. I don't see any "flicker" from the television when the power switch is turned on from the Atari 2600, either. That might be a clue as well that someone can deduce for me. :roll:

-Steve

It's more than likely the power supply. Since you needed help in deducing, I am going to assume you do not own a DMM. If this is the case, you can test to see if the power adapter is live by licking it momentarily. Dead serious. Hold the jack to your tongue for a sec. 9 volts DC ain't gonna kill you. If it bites, the power supply is fine. If you don't feel a thing, it's bad.

If the power adapter is good, next thing to go bad usually is the on-off switch. But they usually don't go 100% bad. In other words, it'll work intermittently. Your switchbox may be flaky too. But like the power switch, you should be getting something. It's not a bad idea to invest in some contact cleaner too for all the switches. Oh and make sure your TV is set to the same channel as the Atari. Good luck!

Edited by save2600

I was also gonna say pretty much what save2600 said. ^^^

If the power supply is good and everything's hooked up right and you can't get any response fiddling with the power switch, the next step jumps up considerably in difficulty. This is the point where you'd need to take the console apart and use a meter to take some voltage measurements across the 5v regulator.

Edited by BigO

I didn't even think to do the "lick test"...hmm, that's a good idea (which I will try tonight when I get home). I am tempted to go to Radio Shack and get the proper switch box....the one that hooks up to a cable connection in the back of the TV, but I really don't want so, since the TV I got is soooooo vintage and fits nicely with the 2600. They were meant to be together!

I'll have to problem solve step by step, but the adapter seems to be the first place to try. It's really hard to tell on the power switch as they've always felt "spongy" to me when you flick them on. But one step at a time. Thanks so far for the advice.

-Steve

Hold the jack to your tongue for a sec. 9 volts DC ain't gonna kill you. If it bites, the power supply is fine. If you don't feel a thing, it's bad.

:-o :-o :-o Bad advice!!! Never,ever do that! Never stick anything in your mouth that is connected to the mains at the same time, especially when its a faulty PSU.

Ack, sorry for the double post, but....I must...

So, I should realistically start with the power supply and work backwards from there? I know the old Atari 2600 power supplies can get twitchy with age. I have another switcher that I can try to see if that is defective, but I highly doubt the game/tv switch would be defective. Doesn't seem probable, anyway.

AND IF it's not the power supply, as someone said here already, it's probably internal..anyone good at repairing things like that? If so, I might need your services.

Steve

Hold the jack to your tongue for a sec. 9 volts DC ain't gonna kill you. If it bites, the power supply is fine. If you don't feel a thing, it's bad.

:-o :-o :-o Bad advice!!! Never,ever do that! Never stick anything in your mouth that is connected to the mains at the same time, especially when its a faulty PSU.

Nah. Worse case and likely scenario is that the step down trannie blew. When that happens, no current is going to get through - period. IF you're thinking there's a short causing 120vac to run down the line, no chance. Never, ever have I seen that happen on any video game power supply. The chinsey cables wouldn't stand up long to that kind of voltage and current anyway and you'd see tell tale signs, such as burning or scorching. Further, if there was anything else dangerous going on, he'd have blown the circuit breaker to his house. In fact, simply plugging in a live Atari 2600 power plug into an Atari causes a momentary short. You can see and here it, so I guess that would be another way to tell if the power supply is bad.

Now, I can see where the 220-240 volts coming out of your wall could do some major damage to components and step down transformers, but the 120vac here in North America is relatively mild.

-edit-

Of course, now that Murphy's law is in full swing in this country, I take no responsibility whatsoever in any liability caused by anyone licking an Atari power supply ;-) LOL!

Edited by save2600

Narrowing it down is not that difficult, but I need to have the "replacement" parts that DO work. Do they carry ac adapters at Radio Shack, for example? Perhaps I should swing buy and buy one that'll work with the Atari 2600 I have. As I said, I do have a replacement switch for the back of the TV, but no replacement adapter that I can find.

Narrowing it down is not that difficult, but I need to have the "replacement" parts that DO work. Do they carry ac adapters at Radio Shack, for example? Perhaps I should swing buy and buy one that'll work with the Atari 2600 I have. As I said, I do have a replacement switch for the back of the TV, but no replacement adapter that I can find.

Yes, RatShack carries an overpriced universal adapter that will work with the 2600. Look for the one that has multiple ends and that switches from 4-12VDC. Set it to 9V when you get it.

Oh and you may as well pick up some tuner/contact cleaner while you're there. You're going to need that sooner than later. Good for all the switches AND the cartridge port. You can even spray some on a Q-tip and clean the edge connectors on your games.

Edited by save2600

I think I saw here on AA the other day somebody saying that Radio Shack carries the RCA to F-type adapter that is used to eliminate the switch box.

The adapter is a 9VDC output with a 1/8" phono plug style connector with positive (+) tip. I find them in thrift stores from time to time. They used to be a very common part. I wouldn't expect RS to carry them, but they should have a "universal" one that will work...for about $20. I'd get one that will supply 500mA to be on the safe side, but I think 350mA was the original spec. BTW - you can go too low on this "amperage" rating, but going higher will not cause a problem.

(Having said that, I'd never pay $20 for a power supply for an Atari. You can probably buy an Atari console with a good power supply for that much.)

True...after all the times I've gotten an Atari 2600 console, I've never had this problem before. It is the FIRST time I've received a console and it didn't work. Must be my time to experience technical difficulties. I can't imagine the TV is causing the problem, but I've been wrong before. I'll go tinker some more with it tonight to see if I can narrow down the potential problems. I'd also rather not buy a tuner for $20.00, as you said, BigO. Doesn't make much sense when you can buy a whole console for that price (with the connections and a joystick to boot).

The television provides a direct hook up to the VHF connectors, and the TV for it's age just looks darn nice. Well, I'll keep everyone posted on what happens. I might need to get another 2600 console, but I'd rather not replace this one unless I really have to!! :(

Sorry again for the double post, but here's the update:

I attempted to switch out one switchbox for the other, but no go on that. The ac adapter IS working (a small spark when I pulled out the connector from the back of the Atari) but still no picture on screen. I went underneath the unit and changed channels that way, but STILL no picture. There seems to be a flicker of some sort when I flip the on/off switch, so something's there, but I just can't see it.

This could mean either the Television VHF connection is screwed up, the RF switchboxes are both screwed up, or something else that I can't figure. I went through the channel selections, the settings on the TV, and everything I could think of but couldn't get a picture to show up on screen.

So, I believe I eliminated the power supply being defective, but am not sure about the switchboxes or the TV itself. Any other thoughts? I do not have a coax cable-ready switchbox, and really don't have the money to buy one at the moment. I find it hard to believe that the Atari 2600 itself is defective.

-Steve :(

Sorry again for the double post, but here's the update:

I attempted to switch out one switchbox for the other, but no go on that. The ac adapter IS working (a small spark when I pulled out the connector from the back of the Atari) but still no picture on screen. I went underneath the unit and changed channels that way, but STILL no picture. There seems to be a flicker of some sort when I flip the on/off switch, so something's there, but I just can't see it.

This could mean either the Television VHF connection is screwed up, the RF switchboxes are both screwed up, or something else that I can't figure. I went through the channel selections, the settings on the TV, and everything I could think of but couldn't get a picture to show up on screen.

So, I believe I eliminated the power supply being defective, but am not sure about the switchboxes or the TV itself. Any other thoughts? I do not have a coax cable-ready switchbox, and really don't have the money to buy one at the moment. I find it hard to believe that the Atari 2600 itself is defective.

-Steve :(

When you say "no picture on the screen" I assume that means you're seeing "snow"/static (or maybe a blue screen with a newer set), not a blank black screen that turns back to snow or blue when you turn off the 2600.

Switching the switchbox back and forth will usually give you some sort of picture at some point if the console is putting out a signal. I think those adapters to eliminate the switch box are just a few dollars. This site has them listed for $0.87: http://www.computercablestore.com/RCA_Comp..._catID1719.aspx (of course shipping would kill that price, just an example)

You should be able to test the VHF connection by hooking up a piece of wire an tuning to a good local station (at least until the analog stations go away). You could also hook up a VCR, DVD, other video game console, etc. to test that part.

With the console powered on, try jiggling the power plug where it connects to the console. I hear that the soldering on those jacks can go bad. If you get a picture (or any significant action on the screen) that way, you'll probably need to resolder the connections on the circuit board.

I'd also do a general inspection of the solder joints. You don't have to be an expert with years of experience to spot a really bad one.

Beyond that, you're into more serious electronic repair. The voltage regulator would be the first and easiest test/repair.

Is this a 4 switch console?

Edited by BigO

Nope, not a four switch console. And what I meant to say is it's "static" or "snow" on the screen, with a slight flicker as the power switch goes on and off. In my last post I indicated the power adapter seems to be working in some fashion. I mean, could it be the TV connectors? Both of them? Doesn't that seem unlikely? The unit is a 6-switcher light model woodgrain. I REALLY don't want to go into the darn thing and tear it apart. I'm just not good at that sort of stuff. When I take things apart, they tend NOT to go back together again. Ask my wife, she'll let you know how home repairs and myself should be completely separated from each other.

The TV might not be getting the signal in it's entirety. I did pick up this "old" TV from my work place (which recycles them for people in the area). Could the TV be the culprit? Seems to work fine, but I'm not certain. I got it just to hook up the Atari "old style"...I'll give it another go tonight with your suggestions, BigO. Anything else from anyone? Would investing in a new connector (with a coaxial connection) be the ticket? Or should I just try to get another console? I really do find it hard to believe that this is defective.

Steve :?:

Edited by classicgamingguy

Nope, not a four switch console. And what I meant to say is it's "static" or "snow" on the screen, with a slight flicker as the power switch goes on and off. In my last post I indicated the power adapter seems to be working in some fashion. I mean, could it be the TV connectors? Both of them? Doesn't that seem unlikely? The unit is a 6-switcher light model woodgrain. I REALLY don't want to go into the darn thing and tear it apart. I'm just not good at that sort of stuff. When I take things apart, they tend NOT to go back together again. Ask my wife, she'll let you know how home repairs and myself should be completely separated from each other.

The TV might not be getting the signal in it's entirety. I did pick up this "old" TV from my work place (which recycles them for people in the area). Could the TV be the culprit? Seems to work fine, but I'm not certain. I got it just to hook up the Atari "old style"...

Steve :?:

You'll have to test the TV with some other signal source as mentioned above to be sure it's working. Do you have no known good TV you can plug it into?

As for not wanting to repair it, I'd make you a good deal on a working 4 switch console, but don't have any spare 6 switchers.

No worries. The original seller is working with me on solving the problem. I don't have a more modern device to hook the VCS up to a more modern television set. My gut instinct is telling me something is wrong at the television's end of it. My last RF connector had the center prong broken off, or I would have used that instead.

Anyway, I'll keep you in mind for the 4 switcher should I need it. Stay tuned for more as it develops..

Steve

Good luck!

B

No worries. The original seller is working with me on solving the problem. I don't have a more modern device to hook the VCS up to a more modern television set. My gut instinct is telling me something is wrong at the television's end of it. My last RF connector had the center prong broken off, or I would have used that instead.

Anyway, I'll keep you in mind for the 4 switcher should I need it. Stay tuned for more as it develops..

Steve

Update:

All is well, the Atari 2600 works like a charm (on a newer TV) and I'm as happy as a clam. I went to my local Radio Shack and got the proper female to male connector, hooked it up to my little 15 inch TV, and wallah!! The old days are back. Thanks goes out to everyone for their input. The older TV's connection (VHF) did not work properly to generate a picture, so I switched back and found out it's great.

Again, thanks for your help. Now the cartridge hunt can begin in earnest!! :D

Update:

All is well, the Atari 2600 works like a charm (on a newer TV) and I'm as happy as a clam. I went to my local Radio Shack and got the proper female to male connector, hooked it up to my little 15 inch TV, and wallah!! The old days are back. Thanks goes out to everyone for their input. The older TV's connection (VHF) did not work properly to generate a picture, so I switched back and found out it's great.

Again, thanks for your help. Now the cartridge hunt can begin in earnest!! :D

good to hear it!