IGNORED

Do you keep your 2600 plugged in?

atari2600land

I have mine plugged into it's own surge protector, when I want to play my H6er I flip the lighted switch on the power strip, when I am done I flip it off, it's on the floor so I just use my foot -easy :). I have an orginal 1977 PS for it so I don't want to burn that out or use extra power running it 24/7. Plus I have heard those early ones can catch fire or melt.

Edited by ovalbugmann

I keep mine plugged in to a surge suppressor all the time, but I never switch the suppressor off. It's been through numerous power outages and it's just fine. Also - don't confuse a power strip (or power tap) with a real surge suppressor. Read the box, before you buy.

I never keep any of my systems plugged in when not in use. The fact that the PSU's stay warm whether the console is on or not makes me feel uneasy. Plus if there's a violent lightning storm and you're not home there's always that chance that your systems could get fried. I much prefer to err on the side of caution.

Switched surge protector is the ONLY way to go. You guys realise that there IS a circuit inside the little black box of an A2600 power supply, don't you? It's constantly converting 120vac to 9vdc when plugged in. While the little wall-wart is efficient at what it does, it DOES generate heat, which adds to the unnecessary strain on the life of the components.

Unplug the A2600 when not in use or turn OFF your power surge protector when not in use is what I say. If you care about owning an original Atari power supply that is. If you're a part of this Chinese unfair_trade_practice_disposable_society, than I guess your ownership and how you take care of an Atari 2600 is another reason we'll pray for you and your ilk. LOL!

Why wouldn't I keep it plugged in? I always leave my atari plugged in because I've never been afraid of lightning hitting my house or something like that.

Guess I'll be the first to say it.

Now you're starting to sound like a little boy who's lost his puppy. Go on... leave your Atari plugged in at all times. "They" will ALWAYS make Atari 2600 power supplies. Forever. Leave ALL of your appliances ON while you are at it. Cuz' we can always make more electricity and appliances, right? Do you even know what the term "insurance" means? Nevermind coal. Water. Wind Power Generators. Fusion. Were you one of the many clueless ones that voted for "change" too? I'm guessing you're too young to even vote (thank God), but the damage has already been done. You may as well have voted out of pure unadulterated ignorance to exclaim such a remark.

Tosh2.0... now that should be funny. Welcome to the machine 4Ks.

Edited by save2600

Why wouldn't I keep it plugged in? I always leave my atari plugged in because I've never been afraid of lightning hitting my house or something like that.

Now you're starting to sound like a little boy who's lost his puppy. Go on... leave your Atari plugged in at all times. "They" will ALWAYS make Atari 2600 power supplies. Forever. Leave ALL of your appliances ON while you are at it. Cuz' we can always make more electricity and appliances, right? Do you even know what the term "insurance" means? Nevermind coal. Water. Wind Power Generators. Fusion. Were you one of the many clueless ones that voted for "change" too? I'm guessing you're too young to even vote (thank God), but the damage has already been done. You may as well have voted out of pure unadulterated ignorance to exclaim such a remark.

What? I always turn my Atari off when I'm done playing it, so it doesn't use up any power in the meantime. And just for the record, I voted McCain.

I've always unplugged mine since I burned out an AC adapter back in '83. The Atari was always plugged in then, and sure they get warm, but it's not like I played non-stop for days or anything. Yet, somehow, it burned out.

What's with all the hostility? :ponder:

I keep mine(the whole Atari set-up... includes 2600, 5200, 7800, TV, DVD player, C= 128 and it's accessories) plugged into a power strip. I'm not really worried about a lightning hit, since storms that intense don't hit here that often. If it gets nasty, my grandmother knows what to unplug for me. And trust me, if I'm not home, she is.

I have my Atari plugged in all the time and I plan to keep it that way. However, I usually turn off the power strip if I don't want to use the Atari for a longer time period (from an hour upwards). What save2600 said about it is surely important, propably more important than the risk of a lightning bolt. The AC adaptors naturally have a limited livespan. If it's plugged in, it will "work", regardless whether your 2600 is ON or OFF. It's easy to tell, you just have to touch it and you'll see it is warm. I think it even has to work HARDER, if the Atari is off, however it hardly makes a difference because of how little power the 2600 actually uses (compared to maybe a TV, CD player, lightbulb, etc.). So by leaving it plugged in you waste a lot of it's livespan without even using it. It's not uncommon to hear stories of people who left their Atari AC adaptor plugged in by accident - for months or even years and afterwards they find out it's dead. (In fact, that's what happenend to stupid me ;) )

So, I've two different but related questions, perhaps someone can answer them.

1. I noticed this: Play Atari for a while, then turn it off (on the console itself), but leave the TV running for the moment. Then disconnect the power supply at the back of the Atari. When you now turn the console switch to ON and watch the TV you'll see the game coming up for just a fraction of the second. So there obviously is some power left in capacitors in the 2600 after you turn it off and by trying to turn it on while the power supply is not connected it is of course used up in a blink of an eye.

My question is, would it prolong the lifespan of the Atari if you "flush" the capacitors like this everytime you turn it off? My idea is the energy left in the capacitors could increase wear to the system. However, I'm not sure, maybe it's not a good idea and it would even shorten the lifespan, because it's not "healthy" for the capacitors to be flushed empty like that. Or maybe it just doesn't make any difference.

Anyone here, perhaps with some deeper knowledge of electronics, who can say something about that?

2. Is it important to remove game cartridges from the cartridge slot when you don't use them or is it okay for them to be plugged in maybe for days without being used? (with the Atari turned off, powersupply disabled) In this question I think it's more a matter of mechanical stress to the cartridge slot and the cartridge board than a matter of electronics. Has someone a recommendation?

Edited by Herbarius

I have my Atari plugged in all the time and I plan to keep it that way. However, I usually turn off the power strip if I don't want to use the Atari for a longer time period (from an hour upwards). What save2600 said about it is surely important, propably more important than the risk of a lightning bolt. The AC adaptors naturally have a limited livespan. If it's plugged in, it will "work", regardless whether your 2600 is ON or OFF. It's easy to tell, you just have to touch it and you'll see it is warm. I think it even has to work HARDER, if the Atari is off, however it hardly makes a difference because of how little power the 2600 actually uses (compared to maybe a TV, CD player, lightbulb, etc.). So by leaving it plugged in you waste a lot of it's livespan without even using it. It's not uncommon to hear stories of people who left their Atari AC adaptor plugged in by accident - for months or even years and afterwards they find out it's dead. (In fact, that's what happenend to stupid me ;) )

So, I've two different but related questions, perhaps someone can answer them.

1. I noticed this: Play Atari for a while, then turn it off (on the console itself), but leave the TV running for the moment. Then disconnect the power supply at the back of the Atari. When you now turn the console switch to ON and watch the TV you'll see the game coming up for just a fraction of the second. So there obviously is some power left in capacitors in the 2600 after you turn it off and by trying to turn it on while the power supply is not connected it is of course used up in a blink of an eye.

My question is, would it prolong the lifespan of the Atari if you "flush" the capacitors like this everytime you turn it off? My idea is the energy left in the capacitors could increase wear to the system. However, I'm not sure, maybe it's not a good idea and it would even shorten the lifespan, because it's not "healthy" for the capacitors to be flushed empty like that. Or maybe it just doesn't make any difference.

Anyone here, perhaps with some deeper knowledge of electronics, who can say something about that?

2. Is it important to remove game cartridges from the cartridge slot when you don't use them or is it okay for them to be plugged in maybe for days without being used? (with the Atari turned off, powersupply disabled) In this question I think it's more a matter of mechanical stress to the cartridge slot and the cartridge board than a matter of electronics. Has someone a recommendation?

I didn't know that. If it'll prolong the life of my Atari, I'll unplug when I'm not playing.

I say it would be better to leave a cart in. You wear out the cartridges/cartridge slot by taking them out all the time, plus with an empty cart slot, there is an opportunity for dust/bugs to get into it. I can't think of any problems leaving them in would cause.

Now the real question is,

is it safe to keep 11 game systems plugged into the same outlet 24/7?

I have been doing it for years and have not had any problems.

Edited by Wickeycolumbus

I didn't know that. If it'll prolong the life of my Atari, I'll unplug when I'm not playing.

Note I was talking about the power adaptor, not the console itself. If it dies, you can still replace it with an universal adaptor. Of course it's still a wise idea not to waste it but to prolong it's livespan as well. The console itself would propably not be hurt by being plugged in all the time. (Of course a lightning bolt could do it ;) )

PS: In fact if you want to keep your original Atari power adaptor in good shape you shouldn't use it at all. Put it away in a dry environment, if possible without a lot of temperature changes and instead use an universal adaptor to play. Because if you face it: Eventually it WILL die if you use it, no matter what you do. Then again, even if you don't use it, it will still deteriorate just because of it's age, however a dry environment with a constant temperature should preserve it as long as possible and it maybe would even work if you would plug it in again 20 years from now. Maybe even 30-40, but that's overly optimistic.

However, what purpose would it serve to keep a piece of equipment in working condition if you don't intend to use it... ;-)

Edited by Herbarius

It's posts like these that make you my favorite.

1. My question is, would it prolong the lifespan of the Atari if you "flush" the capacitors like this everytime you turn it off? My idea is the energy left in the capacitors could increase wear to the system. However, I'm not sure, maybe it's not a good idea and it would even shorten the lifespan, because it's not "healthy" for the capacitors to be flushed empty like that. Or maybe it just doesn't make any difference.

Interesting thought process, but I'd say "flushing" caps is probably a bad idea long term. Main reason capacitors go bad (outside of total component failure) is because they dry out. And they do that if they have NOT been allowed to maintain a voltage in or for a while. As far as SS components go, they're quite mechanical that way.

This came up waaaaay back in the day and I remember that a handful of my friends liked to keep their cartridges inserted at all times. Probably okay either way, but you're taking more of a risk that cartridge getting zapped by a power surge/lightening strike by leaving it in. And you're naturally cleaning the cartridge port every time you insert and remove a game. I'd say it's just a safer bet NOT keeping the cartridge inserted. Get an Atari dust cover if you're worried about stuff falling into the port :-)

Yay! And not only that, in case you hadn't given it a thought: you'll be saving your parents some money in electricity bills AND

some of the environment for your grandchildren. And in case you or anyone else couldn't extrapolate parallels here, these are

a couple of great examples of how YOU can affect change NOW instead of praying that someone else will do it for you. Freedom

OF choice has been replaced in this country with freedom FROM choice because we're no longer taught or allowed to think for

ourselves. Watch the movie Idiocracy and you'd be surprised how many examples are currently in place ;-)

[/soapbox rant]