IGNORED

Selling out. Lost my home and my fiancee :(

It sounds like you may have a reasonable and generous option for temporarily storing and/or brokering the sale of your stuff if necessary (but hopefully the sale will not be necessary). At the risk of being redundant: how much do you need for the bus ticket, when do you have to leave and is there a way I can chip in a few bucks to get you started along the way to your next great adventure?

Edited by BigO

I also am included in this offer which is why I asked him to send me a PM so something can be worked out. When a dear friend of mine joined the Navy all he had were his guitars and when he got shipped out, he needed money. I of course couldn't let him part with his baby and bought one and told him any time come give me some of what I gave you (the actual value of the guitar)and it's yours. While he's gone now from the war and never will be forgotten I still can't bring myself to part with that guitar even if it's not one that is my style at all and I've never played it.

I've got so much video game crap that storing a few boxed systems on a shelf or two in my computer/work room is nothing and I can give him some cash for the 5200 which I need for stuff. I will do my best to help because that's the way I am and the way imo people are supposed to be.

Especially if he could meet me part of the way it's nothing at all except a few hrs back and forth but really just a straight run up towards of my favorite haunts from back in the day and one of my favorite roads to run.

It sounds like you may have a reasonable and generous option for temporarily storing and/or brokering the sale of your stuff if necessary (but hopefully the sale will not be necessary). At the risk of being redundant: how much do you need for the bus ticket, when do you have to leave and is there a way I can chip in a few bucks to get you started along the way to your next great adventure?

ditto that, I can chip in a few duckies for a bus ticket

Wow, what an awful mess, poor guy. I got a headache just hearing about it. :(

Doing my best to help him out.

I've told him his best bet to save his stuff is a one way UHaul that he can pack up up here and just drop off at the nearest dealership down south.

Since he doesn't have a paypal, I also told him I'd be willing to pass the money along to him through mine since a couple people had asked him how they could help out.

We're a good community and it really always warms my heart how people are willing to do what they can for each other. It's lucky to find a place like this.

Wow, what an awful mess, poor guy. I got a headache just hearing about it. :(

Doing my best to help him out.

I've told him his best bet to save his stuff is a one way UHaul that he can pack up up here and just drop off at the nearest dealership down south.

Since he doesn't have a paypal, I also told him I'd be willing to pass the money along to him through mine since a couple people had asked him how they could help out.

We're a good community and it really always warms my heart how people are willing to do what they can for each other. It's lucky to find a place like this.

that's great, tell him the offer for storage still stands and I can make arrangements to meet up with him in my van to move stuff if he likes. he is only an hour or two away. I can also deliver donations in person through my paypal as well

send me a pm if you need me

8 years later when I felt that I would never meet anyone and wasn't even looking I bumped into my current wife whom I have been happily married for the past 2 years. I wish you the best and know that in all likelihood much better days are just around the corner.

I tell ya, that's how it happens. I spent years looking for someone and the second I gave up and stopped looking I met my fiancee. Strange how life works sometimes...

Tempest

Ain't that the truth. That's what happened to me, and now I'll be married this winter to the girl of my dreams.

Hope everything turns out ok. Don't know what the story is, and it's not my business to know, but if you ever need someone to talk to, you can PM me anytime.

God this is depressing. I went online for a u haul quote and then called the 800 number. I got the same answer $1052.00 which cover 6 days of use. Even tho i only need it for 2 at the most. I have all my stuff and just want to get away from this place and this is killing me. So much has gone on but everyone here at AA has givin me hope that it won't be much longer till i can get away from here and start over with my life. This is going to be the hardest thing i've ever done and hurts like hell. Thank you everyone here. There still are great people left in the world these days.

You know someone with a pickup truck? If so, try renting just a trailer from U-Haul instead. The difference in cost will leave you plenty of money to pay the truck owner for gas and for their time. I've moved cross country in their second largest trailer several times pulling it behind my F-150 on just the bumper hitch.

I don't live anywhere near you, otherwise we would use my truck to haul your stuff into storage.

Where is it you are going to? If it is somewhere close to OKC or within the state, give me a shout.

Edited by shadow460

You know someone with a pickup truck? If so, try renting just a trailer from U-Haul instead. The difference in cost will leave you plenty of money to pay the truck owner for gas and for their time. I've moved cross country in their second largest trailer several times pulling it behind my F-150 on just the bumper hitch.

I don't live anywhere near you, otherwise we would use my truck to haul your stuff into storage.

Where is it you are going to? If it is somewhere close to OKC or within the state, give me a shout.

Arkansas. I don't know anyone with a truck :(

Sorry to hear of your troubles. I've been through some very rough stuff in the past that at the time it didn't seem like I could get through... but I did. Came out the other side just fine, and am married to the most wonderful and amazing woman I could have ever imagined meeting... when I stopped looking and just let it happen. All to just say that you will be fine, eventually. Hang in there bud.

P.S. I moved from VA to WI in the 2nd to largest truck, and it was over $1000, can't remember how much, and that was renting a car trailer to pull behind as well. Turns out, I could have gotten by with a truck half the size. So, estimate carefully, you may not need as much truck as you think? Or maybe not, just a thought.

Edited by Mirage1972

Weird and bullshit since I paid by the day. Try a different truck company.

Worst case make sure you have the right address and at the very least you have enough to box up and send some of the systems down and store some of the others. If Mark ends up helping you with storing stuff with a van or I do, I've at least got good shipping boxes that will fit games or a system nicely and a few oversized boxes.

You'll get through this. At least now you have a plan and know what is going on where. Most important thing is to get stuff together for you and your daughter. Things'll work out.

Man that sucks, I hope everything works out for you. I'd love to give you a hand, I have a pickup truck back home in the US. When I moved from Florida to North Carolina, I rented an open trailer with u-haul for like 100 bucks for a week. I pulled everything with my Honda Accord (I had a storage room full of boxes and my moped) Good luck!

Edited by Osbo

I would definitely get an estimate from Penske and Budget i realize it's a hassle and things are painful right now but you have some awesome people here willing to help you or just lend a sympathetic ear and some words of encouragement. Remember you have friends here and that can be a source of strength to help see you through. :)

Oh yeah, I was gonna say, I rented from U-Haul and only had to pay for two days. That whole 6 day thing is weird... that's not U-Haul's policy. I don't think they're giving you the whole story or something. They rent their trucks by the day, but sometimes have multi-day specials. Look on their website for the prices, and if they tell you something different at the actual store, something weird is going on.

I'm about to go buy some more big plastic storage bins for my stuff and I can get a few extra to store your videogame stuff at my place, but as I understand from what you're saying, you you have a TON of stuff you need moved across country, at a very long distance.

I totally understand your frustration and dread. I have been in a similar place in my life before I met my wife over 12 years ago now and was almost damn near homeless were it not for my close friends. This is definitely a time when you need to reach out and rely on others to help you

is there any chance at all someone from arkansas, or a friend of a friend would be willing to do a road trip on your behalf to move your stuff? have you tried calling home and asking around? maybe they'd do it for some money? I guess determine what kind of budget you can realistically work with and offer a bounty. sell or dump the unwanted belongings, pare down to just the bare essentials and see what is left. Maybe check the arkansas and pa craig's lists and see if there are any mutual needs out there. maybe someone from arkansas needs a ride out here and you can work it out with someone who can be the "taxi" and you can pay and barter with them for the rides both directions... it is a long shot but this is the sort of out-of-the-box thinking we should be doing.

another idea would be to do a fundraiser to ship your stuff. donations and a garage sale of sorts.

how much time do you have to work with here? are you out at the end of the month or do you control the lease where you're at?

seems like there are a few of us who can at least handle some of your stuff for you and help you on this end, we can even get a small fundraiser going but I think what we need here is a definitive and realistic goal to shoot for weather it is helping you sell and store stuff or getting you transportation, a combination or whatever it is, let's try to get down to brass tacks and evaluate what we have to work with and the timeframe to do it in! :)

in other words, let's make a plan, stan :D

as for a van and a place to store gear and help in planning and a few dollars to go with it, count me in.

Edited by Mark_Wolfe

Oh yeah, I was gonna say, I rented from U-Haul and only had to pay for two days. That whole 6 day thing is weird... that's not U-Haul's policy. I don't think they're giving you the whole story or something. They rent their trucks by the day, but sometimes have multi-day specials. Look on their website for the prices, and if they tell you something different at the actual store, something weird is going on.

this might be because it is across country and not local.

I think what is needed is a multi-faceted approach

1. assess belongings, get rid of large furniture or bulky things. sell off here or on ebay and donate to good will

2. / plan A : figure out how much transportation is on a bus from pa to arkansas and raise money to get that ticket

2. / plan B: figure out a ride share between pa and arkansas and raise money to cover those expenses

3. store or ship anything that you absolutely can not part with.

one of us who can get money to you in person should start a paypal or similar fundraiser with donation buttons. this should accompany any sales of items you plan to do so you can raise money as quickly as possible

Edited by Mark_Wolfe

Arkansas. I don't know anyone with a truck :(

I've got family in Fort Smith.

As for U Haul, if you do the one way thing, they estimate how many days it should take you to get there. You actually pay for a set number of miles. The price changes according to what kind of equipment you rent. An efficiency apartment can be moved in the smallest truck or trailer. I moved a two bedroom townhouse in a 17 foot U Haul truck several years ago, then I moved about half the stuff that was in it in a 6 X 10 trailer a few months later.

I was also gonna suggest checking the competition, though. Only go to U Haul if you want just a trailer. If that's the case, you can save a ton of money, but if you need the truck as well you can save money by not using U Haul.

this might be because it is across country and not local.

No, no, I moved from Virginia to Wisconsin... approximately the same distance he's moving. Not local at all. They rent for less time than 6 days for cross country.

EDIT: I stand corrected. I just checked the UHAUL website... it's 5 days now. It's changed since I moved. Well, check the other companies. 5 days is ridiculous. You shouldn't need it for that long.

Edited by Mirage1972

Hi Video Fever,

Hey don't give up amigo. Your not alone. I'm battling my problems to. But the good news is that there are plenty of fishes in the sea for a playboy like you. Keep fighting and don't give up. Your stuff (and your woman) is replaceable. So need to worry.

If ya need a new chick, I can try to hook you up in my trusty "Chicktionary" book!! So go ahead and pick your flavor.

Anthony....